ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2ES Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 06:20 PM
vintagelex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2ES Brake Lines

I have a few questions about this, and mostly looking to hear from anyone on here who's done something similar:

I'm planning on (in late summer / early fall of this year) replacing basically ALL of the hard brake lines rear of the master cylinder. They are very rusty, patched in multiple places, and just started leaking again somewhere (I'm going to do a full brake job along with this). The ones for the front brakes and ABS unit are in great shape, because they're under the hood. Surprisingly, pre-bent OEM brake lines are not that expensive and are still available even online. This is a 1992 so it has the mechanical LSPV valve in the rear which I also have to replace but that will come from a junk yard because new ones are $300+.

My main question is, what is the deal with the ABS pump? I have the entire factory service manual, but there is no detailed diagram of the front portion of the brake system. So considering the car has 4-wheel ABS, the rear brake lines connect to the ABS unit in the front, not to the master cylinder, right? If that is the case, is there a special bleeding procedure for the ABS pump? I know on newer cars there is, but here the service manual just describes a normal brake bleeding procedure, and even when talking about the ABS pump, at the end of every procedure it just says "bleed the brakes".

My 2nd, and possibly more important question is - is this something that I can expect to get done over the course of a few weekends with the car on jackstands? I am planning on doing all the fuel lines at the same time as it is all incredibly rusty and has all leaked in the past. The rest of the underside is in great shape though.

Any advice and past experiences with this stuff would be awesome!