Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Braided stainless steel brakelines

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 06:28 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Braided stainless steel brakelines

Which do you guys think would be better for replacing the stock brakelines with.

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines $ 110.00

Goodridge stainless steel braided brake lines have become the standard in professional motorsports where the ultimate in braking is required. There is no room for volumetric expansion, or “mushy brakes” caused by rubber lines.
A highly efficient braking system allows you to get deeper into the corner and onto the accelerator faster. Additionally, when G-Stop/Brakeline Kits brake hoses are used with an ABS braking system they virtually eliminate brake pedal “ chatter” and significantly reduce stopping distance

Or

Stillen Brake Sportlines Lexus
Reg. Price: $139.99
Sale Price: $125.00

Stainless Steel Brake Lines. Each time you apply pressure to the brake pedal to slow your car, some of the hydraulic energy is wasted expanding the stock rubber brake lines. Effective braking power is decreased. This is also the cause of the soft feel some cars exhibit at the brake pedal. As the lines age, the softness increases. This line swell can be eliminated or greatly reduced with the use of high quality stainless steel brake lines. When combined with cross drilled rotors, high performance brake pads and high quality brake fluid, the difference in stopping power and brake feel is impressive. These lines are stainless steel braided, Teflon brake line hoses that are certified by an independent testing lab and meet D.O.T. specification FMVSS-106. Each and every brake hose is pressure tested before it gets packaged and each and every brake hose comes with a limited replacement warranty. One of the only stainless steel braided brake lines legal for sale and use on street driven vehicles throughout the world with D.O.T., TUV and JWA testing requirements all fulfilled. Actual product may vary slightly from image.

Thanks for any input
Ivan
3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 12-28-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 06:53 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I seriously doubt if there's any worthy difference between the two. The Goodridge are DOT approved as well and both will reduce the mushy brake feel, so don't let the advertising hype fool ya.

So as far as safety for street use and quality they are both meeting the same standards.

Aside from quality and safety, the only thing left to compare is performance of which I'd say there is virtually no difference. Atleast, nothing that can be measured with any credence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Stillen are either re-badged Goodridge lines or atleast both brands utilize the same supplier for their braided line raw material.
Old 12-28-04, 07:27 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I seriously doubt if there's any worthy difference between the two. The Goodridge are DOT approved as well and both will reduce the mushy brake feel, so don't let the advertising hype fool ya.

So as far as safety for street use and quality they are both meeting the same standards.

Aside from quality and safety, the only thing left to compare is performance of which I'd say there is virtually no difference. Atleast, nothing that can be measured with any credence.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Stillen are either re-badged Goodridge lines or atleast both brands utilize the same supplier for their braided line raw material.
Ditto, I dont think there would be any difference.
Old 12-28-04, 07:43 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up brake lines

Hey you guys

Thanks for the input.

I can get the Goodrich lines from Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota.
And I like giving him my business.

3dog

Last edited by 3dog; 12-28-04 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-28-04, 07:55 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I got mine off of Tirerack be sure to compare the pricing.
Old 12-28-04, 08:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually..... i got my brake lines from stillen when i got my ap racing bbk (the price they gave me for the brake lines were much better than elsewhere).

anyway, the lines i got? they are goodridge, HAHAHAA...... yup, that's right, they say stillen but it's all from goodridge. from my understanding a lot of companies they just use goodridge lines anyway. they are good stuff

so for you, just get it from carson
Old 12-28-04, 10:43 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
actually..... i got my brake lines from stillen when i got my ap racing bbk (the price they gave me for the brake lines were much better than elsewhere).

anyway, the lines i got? they are goodridge, HAHAHAA...... yup, that's right, they say stillen but it's all from goodridge. from my understanding a lot of companies they just use goodridge lines anyway. they are good stuff

so for you, just get it from carson
So you confirmed my guess was right !

The Stillen lines are from Goodridge !
Old 12-28-04, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
So you confirmed my guess was right !

The Stillen lines are from Goodridge !
oh yeah, even more funny, they didn't even bother to "rebadge" the lines @_@
Old 12-28-04, 11:01 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by rominl
oh yeah, even more funny, they didn't even bother to "rebadge" the lines @_@

DOH !
Old 12-29-04, 08:41 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

does the SS brake line kit from carson come with both front and rear lines?
Old 12-29-04, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by joshoowa
does the SS brake line kit from carson come with both front and rear lines?
yeah it comes with 4 lines already
Old 12-29-04, 05:55 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

I'd like to hear from all of you regarding SS brake lines. I was totally gung-ho on buying them until I read this article in the 1st gen forum: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm Essentially, it states that SS lines are not a good upgrade because they fail after a couple years, but racers are okay because they change them out regularly.

So now I am unsure whether I should get them changed or not. What are your thoughts?
Old 12-29-04, 06:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

every couple of yrs that's the price i would love to pay. for that price i get so much better brake feeling, that's a big plus. plus my bbk requires ss lines anyway
Old 12-29-04, 06:53 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

I dont know about those NSX guys but I never heard of any CL members having these problems. Goodridge isnt some no name brand either, I'm running them and am comfortable doing so.

Secondly I have had a brakeline pop andl it doesnt leave you completely without brakes, the car still stops pretty well and you get warning lights.

Mine got a hole in it becuase I incorrectly installed the line and it was rubbing against the rim, this wore a hole in the steel line.
Old 12-29-04, 06:57 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by LB Lex
I'd like to hear from all of you regarding SS brake lines. I was totally gung-ho on buying them until I read this article in the 1st gen forum: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm Essentially, it states that SS lines are not a good upgrade because they fail after a couple years, but racers are okay because they change them out regularly.

So now I am unsure whether I should get them changed or not. What are your thoughts?
That's why you get DOT approved lines NOT racing lines. DOT , as in Department of Transportation, as in Government approved for safety.

Quick Reply: Braided stainless steel brakelines