ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Windshield cracked! NOoo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 07:48 AM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield cracked! NOoo!!!

My Windshield cracked..car was parked overnight outside for 3 nights... we had major temperature swings..from snow and -27 C at night to +11 C on the third day (go figure...global warming?).
I think it was too much for the windshield, there was a rust spot near the point where the crack happened. I have a 1997 es300. (Ironically that is the only rust spot on the car!!)

I had it looked at by the auto glass guy, he said I have to replace it, but he drilled a hole to stop it from growing. i have seen several videos on youtube where they fix cracks. I will eventually replace it but want to keep it till summer so that I replace the windshield in good weather.

I have attached pictures, has anyone experienced something similar and/or can suggest the best course of action? I bought a kit that can help fix stone chips/cracks,etc. I am thinking I can try a basic repair that will keep it going for a few months? In the image you can see the crack coming from the drivers side...

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Windshield cracked! NOoo!!!-photo-2013-02-01-5-37-39-pm.jpg  
Old 02-02-13, 08:22 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

From your picture that crack is not repeatable. When they remove your windshield you will probably see rust around the frame of the glass. This is most likely the reason it cracked in the first place.

Make sure that That rust is dealt with before putting a new glass in, otherwise the new glass will eventually crack as well
FYI, Same thing happened to me on a Toyota Camry tat I had.

Your Insurance should cover it under your glass breakage policy. Infact the glass repair place will probably be billing your insurance company directly.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 02-02-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 10:37 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As PFB stated, your insurance generally will cover this. I for instance don't have a glass breakage policy stated in my insurance policy but when my toyota corolla got a crack, insurance was willing to cover it as a preventative matter. You should probably call your insurance company and ask them about it or if they have someone specific they would like you go to who they will pay for.
Old 02-02-13, 03:58 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Yeah, there is rust from the originating point of the crack (the only rust on the car is there..sigh)
i will call the insurance but i have liability only so it may not be covered but i will check.

basically, from what I am hearing this should be dealt with asap?

thanks guys

Originally Posted by PFB
From your picture that crack is not repeatable. When they remove your windshield you will probably see rust around the frame of the glass. This is most likely the reason it cracked in the first place.

Make sure that That rust is dealt with before putting a new glass in, otherwise the new glass will eventually crack well
FYI, Same thing happened to me on a Toyota Camry tat I had.

Your Insurance should cover it under your glass breakage policy. Infact the glass repair place will probably be billing your insurance company directly.

Phil
Old 02-03-13, 07:05 AM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rust will only get worse over time. Since you live in an area with snow, the road salt that gets flung will accelerate it. I would get it dealt with as soon as you reasonably can.
Old 02-03-13, 01:42 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Hi,

Yes will do. I hate the idea of having the original lexus windshield changed with an oem. (plus the quality of the work i hope will be reasonable and acceptable) . but i guess better a proper oem than a cracked original. lol.
should get it done this week sometime. thanks again all for your responses
Old 02-03-13, 03:08 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Make sure you get the same color tint in the glass as the original color ( there are seveal tint colors available), and most importantly, once installed, check for distortions through any portion of the glass. if there are any, don't accept it.

And of course make sure that the rust is dealt with, that a sealant is applied to the metal frame and that the rubber gasket is still in good condition (it probably will be)..

Phil
Old 02-03-13, 05:06 PM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually getting my windshield replaced for the 2nd time in 8 months tomorrow... kids with a bb gun this time
Old 02-03-13, 07:46 PM
MrShim78
Driver

thanks PFB..where would i find the tint/exact glass code/color any ideas? i need to tell the shop a day before so they order the right glass...