ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Can someone help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 09:56 PM
msmytalon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me out?

Hi I am new to Club Lexus as a user but have looked around on here for a few months. I am having a few issues with my 1995 ES300 that I hope someone can help me with.

1. When going around turns to the right....the car seems to sway in the turns in the rear end. Not sure what it is...but I know that it is not a good thing.

2. When going around turns to the left I get a pop pop pop noise out of the right front wheel. Is this axle? How expensive are they to replace?

3. Lastly I have had a cel on for about 8 months for the o2 sensor. Now sometimes I the O/D on off light will flash when I am driving. I have seen on here that people have the same issue and state that their car will not go into overdrive...however mine will. It drives no different or shifts no different when this light is flashing. How do I get it to stop?

4. What is something good to stop an oil leak? Local shop told me the rear main seal needed replaced? Not sure if they are right or not....is this expensive to change out?

My car has 250,000 on original engine and tranny and is still running strong. Hoping to get another 100,000 out of it at least.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-15-12, 11:08 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

1. You probably have worn out rear sway bar bushins/links. It's a common problem on these cars, especially with your mileage.

2. That definitely sounds like a failing CV joint in the passenger axle. Unfortunately, that is the hardest axle to take out, because it runs through a bracket that also holds the engine mount. Not sure about cost.

3. What code are you getting?

4. If you want the car to last, you will need to replace the faulty seal. Just make sure it's really the rear main seal that's causing the leak. Get a second opinion. That seal is located between the engine and the transmission, very labor intensive.
Old 07-15-12, 11:11 PM
msmytalon
Driver School Candidate

Im not sure about the code as everytime it does it...I'm never near anywhere to get the code checked. As for the rear main seal the mechanic told me it was one between the engine and trans.

You think I'm better off to sell it as is.....or sink about 1,000 in a almost 20 year old car that's only worth 1500
Old 07-15-12, 11:22 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by msmytalon
Im not sure about the code as everytime it does it...I'm never near anywhere to get the code checked. As for the rear main seal the mechanic told me it was one between the engine and trans.

You think I'm better off to sell it as is.....or sink about 1,000 in a almost 20 year old car that's only worth 1500
I recommend you find a cleaner example. Considering what you posted in here and in other threads, this car needs serious mechanical work and it will be a lot of money before it's properly sorted out. Unless of course you want to spend way more money than the car's market value to keep it on the road.

Post a picture of your ride, and I'll tell if it's worth it.

Just so you know, the code is stored in the computer, even if the light is off.
Old 07-16-12, 06:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

If it is the axle, which it does sound like it is. Get it replaced ASAP, because if the boot does break, you likely will be stranded and the car won't move.
Old 08-02-12, 09:36 PM
msmytalon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information guys. Idk what to do at the moment. Now my power steering fluid is leaking out of the resviour (spell check) and my car is starting to overheat. I love the car....but it seems to hate me. If I can only get it to last 2 more months then I am going to sell it cheap.
Old 08-02-12, 10:51 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by msmytalon
Thanks for the information guys. Idk what to do at the moment. Now my power steering fluid is leaking out of the resviour (spell check) and my car is starting to overheat. I love the car....but it seems to hate me. If I can only get it to last 2 more months then I am going to sell it cheap.
Your power steering powers the cooling fan, so there is probably not enough pressure in the lines to get the fan up to speed.
Old 08-02-12, 11:25 PM
JayR463
Driver School Candidate

^^ yeah thats the worst, thats a common problem with them gms with the hydraboost. imo, that car sound like it got more problems then the cars worth. rear main seal, links/bushings, cv joint, power steering pump, and car over heating. if you take it to a shop, you gonna def make that mechanics day. i think you may be better off just letting her go. not worth dumping a few g's into a car with that much mileage, that motor probably be on its way out as well. money you gonna dump into fixing it, you can just get a new ride with. just saying though bro.
Old 08-03-12, 11:01 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Your power steering powers the cooling fan, so there is probably not enough pressure in the lines to get the fan up to speed.
Wha? My fans are electric...