ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Troubleshooting codes...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 10:47 AM
Elysian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting codes...

Hey, new here, really only signed up to try and figure out the issues with my mom's car... The car is a 2000 ES300 with around 130k on the clock. All of this started with 2 ignition coils going out, I replaced those no problem, but while replacing them I decided to check under the valve cover since the car burns a lot of oil on startup after sitting a while. I found the sludging issue I read about so much around the web and started desludging by hand as much as I could. Pulled both valve covers off (which included pulling the intake manifold of course) and pulled the oil pan. After I cleaned it all out and put it back together with clean oil in it and some Seafoam I started driving it a little, not putting too many miles on it.

Initially all was well, the car was running great though still smoking (I equate some of that to the Seafoam I also put in the gas tank) but on the 2nd day it started acting funny. Acceleration was erratic, it would be terribly slow until around 4k rpms when it would kick it up a notch (seriously, it's like a rocket after 4k). My foot position wouldn't change the whole time but it felt like I was flooring it, intake also sounded like it opened up. I'm not really sure if that part's related to the codes but it's relevant to the situation anyways.

The codes I got are P1135 and P1155... Also have an Intake Air code, forget the number on that one but that was there before I started all of this, when I found the bad ignition coils. P1135 and 1155 are both related to a malfunction of the air/fuel sensor heater circuit... So in troubleshooting that I've looked at the fuse already and pulled one of the sensors... I found a heater circuit test while searching Google but I haven't pulled out my multimeter yet. The reason I'm not just replacing them right away is because they both kicked up at the exact same time, which leads me to believe it's something wiring related... The fuse was fine though, and now I can't figure out which relay is the air/fuel heater relay, since none of them are labeled as such in the relay box... Can anyone point me in the right direction there?

My trac off light is also on, there is an Evap code that might be related to that... This thing has turned into a mess...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Elysian; 02-21-12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 12:38 PM
Elysian
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking now Throttle Position Sensor is causing sluggish acceleration to 4k, I might have tweaked the wires some removing the manifold, so I'll rewire it... Moved them around and now acceleration to 4k isn't sluggish but after 4k is still like a rocket, huge difference in power... Is that where VVT-i kicks in? I don't know much about Toyota's VVT-i, I come from dual VANOS BMW's, so I'm not sure if the VVT-i in this car is infinitely variable or not...

edit: Wiki tells me it's dual stage so would 4k be where it kicks in? I'd imagine it's supposed to be gradual, not 'holy crap' though...

edit2: acceleration is still sluggish up to 4k, and sometimes its like it doesn't respond to the pedal, just sits there... other times it actually clunks :/

Last edited by Elysian; 02-21-12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 01:43 PM
Elysian
Driver School Candidate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C64hUbMg6pQ

Took a quick video, I don't know if it's readily obvious what's going on though... I'm holding my foot completely level the whole time, not giving it any extra gas yet it's getting from 4k-6k much faster than from 2-4k... totally new behavior... and you can really hear the engine open up...

edit: finally found the Air/Fuel Heater relay, swapped it with the horn relay... Horn works as it should so I don't think it's that...

edit2: and watching someones 0-60 video on youtube of their ES300 it seems to do the same thing at 4k... is this just normal operation??? If so, I'm guessing VVT-i wasn't working at all until I desludged...

Last edited by Elysian; 02-21-12 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 02:54 PM
Elysian
Driver School Candidate

Just replaced the MAF sensor to try and clear the Intake Air code... No change...
Old 02-22-12, 11:03 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Those 2 codes you posted is related to the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor. You either got an open/short in the circuit or a bad A/F sensor.
Old 02-22-12, 03:11 PM
Elysian
Driver School Candidate

I've already figured everything out. Just got tired of posting to a dead forum.
Old 03-08-12, 12:50 PM
fd3sboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Elysian
I've already figured everything out. Just got tired of posting to a dead forum.
if you dont mind asking me, did you find a fix for code 1135,1155. i just replaced both a/f sensor with the lexus oem denso sensor and afte a few miles code came back again.
Old 03-08-12, 08:37 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fd3sboost
if you dont mind asking me, did you find a fix for code 1135,1155. i just replaced both a/f sensor with the lexus oem denso sensor and afte a few miles code came back again.
Was it the same code? If yes, you got a wire integrity problem not the sensor itself.
Old 03-09-12, 04:52 AM
fd3sboost
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Was it the same code? If yes, you got a wire integrity problem not the sensor itself.
yes same code, can you give more info on the integrity wire issue
Old 03-09-12, 09:26 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fd3sboost
yes same code, can you give more info on the integrity wire issue
You would need to check for an open/short on the engine harness side. The one where you connect the oxygen sensor to. Check for damage on wire insulation.