ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Underside Leaks Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 01:01 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Underside Leaks Fixed

While I was replacing the trans, I decided to address the leaking oil pan.

Re-torqued each bolt and the two corner nuts to 69 in/lb and to my surprise the leak stopped.

For extra measure, I also re-torqued the trans pan, all were loose. No leaks at all. I do have the Toyota seal and gaskets just in case. But I think i will be good to go.

The trick is a gradient star pattern. Gradually increase the torque with several passes, is the safest way to go. Learned that on my 911, valve covers and head studs.

I also replaced both o-rings on the two dip sticks. They were hard and brittle after so many years of service.

Hope this helps others that may have a leaking pan.

It sure is nice not to have a big mess on the garage floor.

Jim

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 10-18-11 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 02:33 PM
yeldogt
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you look at factory service manuals almost every component has a tightening pattern.

I had an 85 targa ......... white .........great car ... hated the front bumper. That was the only 911 that I purchased in the targa configuration.
Old 10-18-11, 04:25 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yeldogt
If you look at factory service manuals almost every component has a tightening pattern.

I had an 85 targa ......... white .........great car ... hated the front bumper. That was the only 911 that I purchased in the targa configuration.
Indeed it does, what surpirsed me was how loose those bolts/nut were. Such a simple maintenance to keep them properly torqued to keep from leaking.

Nice, 85 Alpine White?. I agreed, both front and rear bumbers are FUGLY. I like the Euro rears but doesn't protect as well. I was considering updating the front to the 964 style i.e. Californication show. But then the Concours Police will be on me. They give me alot of grief for having a turbo tail even though it was from the factory. Oh well.
Old 10-18-11, 09:07 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you tighten the bolts on the lower oil pan, upper oil pan, or both?

I have been fighting oil leaks for several years in our 94 ES and have stopped all leaks except those from the oil pan(s). I have replaced the gasket and tightened the bolts twice on the lower oil pan, but there is still a drip in the area of the drain plug. The oil appears to be coming from above the drain plug. I have concluded that it must be coming from somewhere on the upper oil pan.

Does this sound logical?
Old 10-18-11, 10:13 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

I cleaned her up really good then watched the leak from the lower oil pan.

Gasket? Dealer stated there is no oil pan gasket for the OEM but they believed there are after market gaskets. Luckily mine had the silicon Toyota seal from a tube.

Yes, it does sound logical that the upper bolts may need torquing down to spec. I would clean first then check for the source of the leak.

Mine was covered with oil so could not really tell where it was leaking but after some brake cleaning and rags found the culprit/s
Old 10-19-11, 04:15 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by CUMan
Did you tighten the bolts on the lower oil pan, upper oil pan, or both?

I have been fighting oil leaks for several years in our 94 ES and have stopped all leaks except those from the oil pan(s). I have replaced the gasket and tightened the bolts twice on the lower oil pan, but there is still a drip in the area of the drain plug. The oil appears to be coming from above the drain plug. I have concluded that it must be coming from somewhere on the upper oil pan.

Does this sound logical?
I had the same problem. I later realized that the oil was coming from the filter. When I was replacing the filter, some oil dripped down the side of the engine and found its way to the drain plug, because of the engine tilt.
Old 10-19-11, 08:00 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
I cleaned her up really good then watched the leak from the lower oil pan.

Gasket? Dealer stated there is no oil pan gasket for the OEM but they believed there are after market gaskets. Luckily mine had the silicon Toyota seal from a tube.

Yes, it does sound logical that the upper bolts may need torquing down to spec. I would clean first then check for the source of the leak.

Mine was covered with oil so could not really tell where it was leaking but after some brake cleaning and rags found the culprit/s
Yes, the folks at the garage I used suggested the gasket instead of the sealant (FIPG) that the factory uses. Felpro makes a gasket for the ES models.

The major problem in trying to stop a leak in the upper oil pan is that some of the bolts are not easily accessible because they are obscured by the lower oil pan (if I recall correctly). One would have to remove the lower pan to gain access to all the bolts you would need to tighten.

It is a minor leak now, compared to the flood that it used to be. I have replaced the front and rear seals, valve cover gaskets, and the power steering hose that runs along the back of the engine.
Old 10-19-11, 08:07 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I had the same problem. I later realized that the oil was coming from the filter. When I was replacing the filter, some oil dripped down the side of the engine and found its way to the drain plug, because of the engine tilt.
Yeah, there is no way to change the oil filter in these cars without making a mess from all the oil that gushes out when you loosen the filter. I always try to clean this up as best I can, but it's somewhat hard to get to. Toyota (and Lexus) blew it when they designed the oil filter arrangement on these engines.

But I would think that any oil that escapes from the oil filter change would be a short lived problem. My drip is continuous.
Old 10-19-11, 11:31 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CUMan
Yeah, there is no way to change the oil filter in these cars without making a mess from all the oil that gushes out when you loosen the filter. I always try to clean this up as best I can, but it's somewhat hard to get to. Toyota (and Lexus) blew it when they designed the oil filter arrangement on these engines.

But I would think that any oil that escapes from the oil filter change would be a short lived problem. My drip is continuous.
Try cleaning the engine with some Simple Green and see if it comes back. It solved my problem.
Old 10-19-11, 01:05 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

I realized the design was a bit retarded, so I removed the motor mount to insure all residue oil from the filter was gone. I mean geez there was a puddle of oil after removing the front motor mount. So next oil change I will remove the motor mount to change the filter, it does make it allot eaiser to gain access to the filter.

Well, if you have the gasket, might as well remove the pan and torque the upper pan bolts on your next oil change?
Old 10-19-11, 05:47 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
I realized the design was a bit retarded, so I removed the motor mount to insure all residue oil from the filter was gone. I mean geez there was a puddle of oil after removing the front motor mount. So next oil change I will remove the motor mount to change the filter, it does make it allot eaiser to gain access to the filter.

Well, if you have the gasket, might as well remove the pan and torque the upper pan bolts on your next oil change?
What if you put a paper towel under the filter? I haven't tried it yet, but that's what I'm planning to do for my next oil change.
Old 10-19-11, 06:55 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Maybe, give it a try and let us know, it would be easier than removing the mount, but since I swapped the trans it would be no big deal for me know. I actually like having the room to work on the filter.