LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 08:41 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 1991 oil pan leak

Just took a look at my daughters car and her oil pan is leaking. Her car had been lowered earlier in life and then put back to original position right before she got it. It had been hit several times with multiple dings, but the pan itself seemed okay, just needs some rust removal. I couldn't tell if it had a gasket on it however. Does anyone know(off the top of their head) if there is a pan gasket that needs replacing or is it just some appropriate sealant? Sorry it's a 1991 LS400
Old 02-15-16, 11:08 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

You can buy an aftermarket gasket but it came from the factory with the Toyota FIPG= Fixed In Place Gasket.
Old 02-15-16, 11:58 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 219 Posts

I would inspect the pan, and potentially just replace both the gasket and the pan at this point to start fresh; especially since the pan was rusting from being scraped.

This is why the original ride height is superior; otherwise, things become high maintenance..

Sorry that you're dealing with that issue.
Old 02-15-16, 05:38 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
I would inspect the pan, and potentially just replace both the gasket and the pan at this point to start fresh; especially since the pan was rusting from being scraped.

This is why the original ride height is superior; otherwise, things become high maintenance..

Sorry that you're dealing with that issue.
Believe me, if I could have gotten a pan next day, I would have had my daughter buy one. It was going to take 2 days to get here from the autozones of the world(Lexus had one in stock but they wanted $355), and my neighbors have watched my 6 months battle with my other lexus(so it had been on jacks a good part of that time), so I ended up sanding it down and then painting it with primer. It's on the car tonight waiting for the sealant to dry, so tomorrow I will hit it with another coat of paint and call it good. In truth, that was the only leak on it, the upper engine was totally dry with no oil leaks. It did have a fair amount of thick gunk on the bottom of the pan, so I'm switching it over to Mobil 1 and see what we can do about it.
Old 02-15-16, 06:50 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

it comes sealed from the factory with FIPG sealant. make sure to follow the instructions on application, ambient temp, clean the surface, etc. they do make preformed gaskets too.
Old 02-15-16, 07:33 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Originally Posted by jaaa
Believe me, if I could have gotten a pan next day, I would have had my daughter buy one. It was going to take 2 days to get here from the autozones of the world(Lexus had one in stock but they wanted $355), and my neighbors have watched my 6 months battle with my other lexus(so it had been on jacks a good part of that time), so I ended up sanding it down and then painting it with primer. It's on the car tonight waiting for the sealant to dry, so tomorrow I will hit it with another coat of paint and call it good. In truth, that was the only leak on it, the upper engine was totally dry with no oil leaks. It did have a fair amount of thick gunk on the bottom of the pan, so I'm switching it over to Mobil 1 and see what we can do about it.
Ok, good luck. I guess the oil wasn't changed enough by the previous owner. That gunk will wash out of the system eventually.

Good luck purchasing the necessary parts. At least it's pretty much okay for now, since you removed the rust.
Old 02-17-16, 01:11 PM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Ok, good luck. I guess the oil wasn't changed enough by the previous owner. That gunk will wash out of the system eventually.

Good luck purchasing the necessary parts. At least it's pretty much okay for now, since you removed the rust.
Got real lucky yesterday on my daughters 91. I found one at my local pick/pull yesterday and got the back seats/bolster pad/and a passenger side seat belt. It was the dark color just like hers. The front seats were pretty much a match to what she had, so left them alone. If I had known this car was there the day before, I would have grabbed the oil pan.
Old 02-17-16, 04:18 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Got real lucky yesterday on my daughters 91. I found one at my local pick/pull yesterday and got the back seats/bolster pad/and a passenger side seat belt. It was the dark color just like hers. The front seats were pretty much a match to what she had, so left them alone. If I had known this car was there the day before, I would have grabbed the oil pan.
Wow, darn. At least you got the other parts!

By dark color, would it happen to be Black Jade Pearl? Colorado is a little far, but I always have an eye out for good parts...
Old 02-18-16, 06:49 AM
jaaa
Lead Lap

Wow, darn. At least you got the other parts!

By dark color, would it happen to be Black Jade Pearl? Colorado is a little far, but I always have an eye out for good parts...
My daughters car has a brown with purple tinge to it(Don't know the technical color name). The donor was some kind of darker purple. The interior was the same as my daughters, so I didn't really care. Do you know your code?
Old 02-18-16, 08:28 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

My daughters car has a brown with purple tinge to it(Don't know the technical color name). The donor was some kind of darker purple. The interior was the same as my daughters, so I didn't really care. Do you know your code?
Cool!

My code is 6K4 with the UA32 secondary color (for the molding).

Here's a color reference: http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusls/1990-1994

Your daughter's car may be Taupe Metallic (3H9). This can be confirmed by looking at the inspection sticker, on the driver's side pillar.