ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Odometer/Speedometer/Gas Needle Not lit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-09, 03:08 PM
Jodwin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer/Speedometer/Gas Needle Not lit

Hey guys I am brand new to the forum and I am really enjoying being on here a lot of great energy and really helpful information, I have a 94 ES300 w/ 123k miles on it and I bought it last week 8/1/09 I bought it from a small dealer that only stocks 10-15 cars max and he is a great guy I have a few friends who have bought through him and him been extremely happy with their cars....

So now that I have the car I have some maintinance that needs to be done on the car mechanically and some little nick nacks that drive me crazy. This one inparticular is annoying me to death. The needles on the dash are not lit so at night it makes it really hard to see how fast I am going and how many rpms i am at..... Its tracks the mileage and everything just the needles are not lit so its a pain in the a**

Where do I even start to begin or look at this issue? Any help you guys can offer would be amazing and I would really really appreciate it.

Jon....
Old 08-06-09, 03:31 PM
cyco
Pole Position

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...t-needles.html
Old 08-06-09, 05:00 PM
Jodwin
Rookie

Everyday this site seems to get better and better, only owning a lexus for 5 days now there are so many things I want to have done to it!!!! This link isnt actually a full fix but hey it does the job right???

What would it cost to actually get the needles fixed as if they were new?
Old 08-06-09, 06:48 PM
cyco
Pole Position

I'm not sure how much a dealership would charge for restoring the needles, but I am willing to bet it's quite pricey. Another option would be using a forum vendor Lextech which offer professional custom lighting for our clusters.

http://www.lextech.org/
Old 08-06-09, 07:42 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Basically all you'll ever need.

If you do it right, you'll be endlessly happy with the results, and what's not to love with less than 10 bucks in supplies?!
Old 08-07-09, 04:44 AM
heorung
Driver

Welcome to the club Jodwin...... the guys and gals on here are only after 1 thing...... making their rides even better than when it rolled off production .. so sit back .. SEARCH.... SEARCH ... SEARCH and you will find everything you ever wanted to do to your ES. There is only 1 rule .... talk is cheap .. take photos and share.

Best of luck with all your mods.
Old 08-07-09, 11:11 AM
Jodwin
Rookie

LOL your right about that talk is cheap!!! I just got some minor work done the car today, BG Treatment gas/oil which came with a 4 month roadside assistance deal which was pretty cool is basically the same thing as AAA i would highly reccomend looking into it I paid $39.99 for the oil change and BG treatment plus got the 4 months I thought it was a pretty good deal!!!! Oh yeah I also got an alignment, Up next engine coolant & Transmission treatment!!! oh and as far as pictures I should have some up later today, I want to get some pictures taken so I can kind of do a before and after type of thing, tomorrow the windows are getting tinted for free buddy of mine owes me a favor.....

Where do I post my pictures in my profile???
Old 08-07-09, 04:54 PM
cyco
Pole Position

User CP button on the top part of the forum is where you edit all your personal stuff.
Old 08-07-09, 07:58 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cyco
I'm not sure how much a dealership would charge for restoring the needles, but I am willing to bet it's quite pricey. Another option would be using a forum vendor Lextech which offer professional custom lighting for our clusters.

http://www.lextech.org/
I went with Lextech awhile back now and have been 100% satisfied. It cost me around $200 with a lifetime warranty. Lexus wanted over $1000 with a 90 day warranty. Lextech can also change your backlighting to a different color. I chose the blue for mine and now my local Lexus dealer is sending people to Lextech's website. Go this route and you will not be dissappointed. See pic below, and it does not do it justice on how great it looks!
Attached Thumbnails Odometer/Speedometer/Gas Needle Not lit-user101131_pic5515_1246686674-2-.jpg  
Old 08-07-09, 09:05 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

you have other options, there are plenty of Do it yourself threads that show you how to fix your own needles and backlighting, there are also several other companies that offer this service at very resonable rates.

I paid to have my done by the company Tomstep2 went through, and i was very unhappy with the service.
Old 08-08-09, 05:13 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tomstep2
I went with Lextech awhile back now and have been 100% satisfied. It cost me around $200 with a lifetime warranty. Lexus wanted over $1000 with a 90 day warranty. Lextech can also change your backlighting to a different color. I chose the blue for mine and now my local Lexus dealer is sending people to Lextech's website. Go this route and you will not be dissappointed. See pic below, and it does not do it justice on how great it looks!
Lexus doesn't sell just the needles for any of their cars. You must buy the complete cluster and for that, it is well more than $1K. And be more specific when telling people to do business with your buddy. The needles are $100, the back lighting is $200 and so to do both (unless it's a 'group buy' deal) is $300 (unless I can't add correctly). And the 'warranty' you speak of is a joke. If you got a problem with it, be prepared to be humiliated and good luck getting it resolved. See this thread to see my point....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sit...-chime-in.html

To the OP, there are more options out there than just the 'business' tomstep2 'recommended'...you can do it yourself with the help of any of the DIY's here, let a friend do it for you for a beer or three and they can follow the DIY's or you can send it to http://www.***************.com/lex.htm . As you can see, the website is banned from being posted here (just to let you in on how this place likes to run business behind the scenes) so if you type in without spaces... www. dna speedometers .com/lex.htm you can get there. They will do both the backlighting and the needles for $189 with a warranty.