ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

upgrading halogen es300 to factory hid

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 05:06 PM
gulffishin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading halogen es300 to factory hid

Hey guys, 1st time post, I have a 2003 ES300 with halogen headlamps. I know Lexus offered HID as an option on this model, but before I go buy them, how difficult is it to replace the halogen headlamps with the factory HID headlamps? Is it as simple as ordering the HID headlamp assembly's from the dealer with the ballasts, bulbs, etc. and swapping them out? Or does it entail extensive electrical and body modification.

Also does anyone know if the 05+es330 HID projector headlamps will fit into my 03 ES300?

Any help will be appreciated!

btw: I am not interested in putting HID bulbs into the halogen housing...been there done that. Just in upgrading with factory parts.
Old 12-01-07, 10:09 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gulffishin
Hey guys, 1st time post, I have a 2003 ES300 with halogen headlamps. I know Lexus offered HID as an option on this model, but before I go buy them, how difficult is it to replace the halogen headlamps with the factory HID headlamps? Is it as simple as ordering the HID headlamp assembly's from the dealer with the ballasts, bulbs, etc. and swapping them out? Or does it entail extensive electrical and body modification.

Also does anyone know if the 05+es330 HID projector headlamps will fit into my 03 ES300?

Any help will be appreciated!

btw: I am not interested in putting HID bulbs into the halogen housing...been there done that. Just in upgrading with factory parts.
You can physically fit any 02-06 headlight housing on your car. The problem is that the wiring is different, Since the HID systems have the self leveling feature. I too have this delima, but I found a way around it. I have ordered a set of HID lamps for an ES300, 02-04 (reflector type) that are damaged, but the internal parts are still good. And I am just going to dismantle the lights, and swap the halogen reflector bowl for the HID reflector bowl. I have seperate ballasts to mount under ther hood with a relay harness to operate the lights.
Old 12-01-07, 11:53 AM
gulffishin
Driver

Hey, good idea, I didn't even think of that. That is a much better alternative to trying to retro projectors into the housing. I have retrofitted projectors into my accord, but I want to keep the Lexus looking stock.
Old 12-01-07, 12:05 PM
gulffishin
Driver

So hypothetically, if I were to install them they would work with the exception of the auto level feature?
Old 12-01-07, 03:02 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Correct, You would just need to use the stock adjusters to properly align them. I am an Experienced retrofitter myself. I specialized in 07-08 Camry retros with TSX projectors. But due to the shape of our ES300 headlights, it would be difficult, and look funny to have the projectors mounted forward enough to get a good side to side beam. Plus, I like the look of a reflector HID system coming down the road more than I like the look of Projectors.
Old 12-03-07, 04:39 PM
gulffishin
Driver

Thanks, you've answered my question completely!
My wife has an 07 camry Have you ever considered trying to retro TL bixenon projectors into the 07 generation of camry's?
Old 12-03-07, 06:28 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

It is possible, But then you would not be able to use the DRL function.
Old 12-08-07, 10:53 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JSM1284
You can physically fit any 02-06 headlight housing on your car. The problem is that the wiring is different, Since the HID systems have the self leveling feature. I too have this delima, but I found a way around it. I have ordered a set of HID lamps for an ES300, 02-04 (reflector type) that are damaged, but the internal parts are still good. And I am just going to dismantle the lights, and swap the halogen reflector bowl for the HID reflector bowl. I have seperate ballasts to mount under ther hood with a relay harness to operate the lights.
Ok, I lied in this post. It IS NOT that easy. I'll be back with my horror story once I finish this retro, Hopefully tonight.
Old 12-09-07, 08:14 AM
gulffishin
Driver

...ok good luck..
Old 12-09-07, 04:39 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, So heres what happend.

I got my HID lights that I ordered from that online Auction site. The housing were damaged, so my plan was to just swap out my stock Halogen reflector with the HID reflectors. I figured they mounted the same way in the lamp, I was wrong.

On the HID housing, The high and low beam reflectors are two seperate pieces. In the Halogen lamp, they are one solid piece. Needless to say I was pissed.

So what I had to do was cut most of the Hlogen reflector out, and Modify the HID reflector by carefully cutting off the mounts and what not. Then with ALOT of patience and JB Weld, I carefully aligned and JB welded the HID Reflector to what was left of the Halogen reflector. They look stock so thats a plus. They are also adjustable by the stock adjusters.

All in all, I am satisfied with the results. I just with it would have went asd easy as i thought it would. I spend all night Friday, All day Saturday, and just finished them today. I have pictures, not step by step, but just a few pics in process. I'll post them when I get time.
Old 12-09-07, 07:36 PM
gulffishin
Driver

Whoa! sounded like it was quite a weekend! But alls well that ends well. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Old 12-11-07, 05:31 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Damn man. Guess it wasn't so easy. Well, it is good that it turned out well for you in the end. I'm still deciding on a retro on the ES but it's hard to retro some headlights when you already have HID headlights that work fine. This is the effect of completing a retro with TSX projectors and driving with it for over a year, I guess. lol.
Old 12-11-07, 05:33 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Also, is the wiring different on the HID-equipped ES from 02-04 and the ES from 05-06?
Old 12-12-07, 08:04 AM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

No, I believe the wiring is all the same. Between the reflector housing, and the projectors.

I have a projector headlamp, and the reflector HIDS i installed on my car. the ballast connectors and leveling motors have the same plugs.

Last edited by JSM1284; 12-12-07 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-12-07, 07:16 PM
gulffishin
Driver

I am thinking I'll purchase a set of HID headlamps off Ebay and take the factory look route. However a LS430 retro would be nice IF it is possible.

Quick Reply: upgrading halogen es300 to factory hid