Headlamp condensation issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 11:02 PM
HsunL14
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp condensation issue

Hello,

I recently purchased a ES350 in Vancouver (I am a Canadian here) but I've noticed that there are condensations and fogginess in both the headlamps and the tail lamps. When I bought the car from the dealership, they repeatedly told me that this is normal. But I have found that the condensations in the lamps seem to get worse over the past week. I really don't think that this is normal at all. I am a girl and this is my first time buying a car. I've done the homework and research on cars but I am still very lacking. The condensations seem to be an issue for the RX350 as suggested online. If anyone could please help clarify this lamp condensation problem a little for me I would really really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails Headlamp condensation issue-20170102_145100.jpg   Headlamp condensation issue-20170102_145119.jpg  
Old 01-07-17, 04:58 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a damaged seals... prob need someone to remove them, dry it out and put silicone around them..The dealer is wrong if he told you its normal..Could have a clogged vent as well..
The following users liked this post:
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 10:07 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Definitely not normal. If it's normal, then the dealer loan cars should have it too. They are usually parked outside. Ask them to show you a car with condensation in the head and tail lights.
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 11:07 AM
hoosier1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It always makes me angry when a dealership tells folks that an obvious problem is normal. I had condensation in a tail light on an Audi years ago. The dealership took one look and immediately said they would order another lamp assembly.

As previously mentioned, you have bad seals or a plugged drain hole. It's possible that the bumpers will have to be removed to replace the lights, and the dealership wants to avoid the extensive repair.

Ask to speak to the dealership manager and be very polite. If they refuse to take action, just stay calm, drive away and call Lexus Customer Service.
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 02:43 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by hoosier1
It always makes me angry when a dealership tells folks that an obvious problem is normal. I had condensation in a tail light on an Audi years ago. The dealership took one look and immediately said they would order another lamp assembly.

As previously mentioned, you have bad seals or a plugged drain hole. It's possible that the bumpers will have to be removed to replace the lights, and the dealership wants to avoid the extensive repair.

Ask to speak to the dealership manager and be very polite. If they refuse to take action, just stay calm, drive away and call Lexus Customer Service.
Sorta weird that the dealer wouldn't want to do these repairs since it's obviously a defect and they can easily make a warranty claim that would be approved and paid.
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 02:54 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Exclamation Liars at dealership!

Originally Posted by HsunL14
Hello,

I recently purchased a ES350 in Vancouver (I am a Canadian here) but I've noticed that there are condensations and fogginess in both the headlamps and the tail lamps. When I bought the car from the dealership, they repeatedly told me that this is normal. But I have found that the condensations in the lamps seem to get worse over the past week. I really don't think that this is normal at all. I am a girl and this is my first time buying a car. I've done the homework and research on cars but I am still very lacking. The condensations seem to be an issue for the RX350 as suggested online. If anyone could please help clarify this lamp condensation problem a little for me I would really really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!!!
I'm sorry to hear your experience with your Lexus letting you down. I'm also MAD the dealership lied to you and said it's "normal." It's not normal, and extended condensation in your lens will cause your bulbs to not work/fail, because of the moisture and will also corrode the electrical connections! Look for BIG $$$ to have wiring harnesses replaced when that happens!

You should IMMEDIATELY contact the general manager of that dealership in addition to contacting any of the Lexus representatives on the forum. Their names are: LexCareMO, LexCareMD, LexCareSC and LexCareSP.

Please read the following post and it should help you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lub-lexus.html

Regardless what option you choose, either the general manager of the dealership, via the forum, or calling their customer service # at 1 (800) 255-3987, hopefully they will correct their defective product. And it IS defective, and is NOT normal in any manner what so ever.
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 03:53 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

HSunL14,
Don't hesitate to contact Lexus directly if the dealer won't fix your problem. Lexus has more interest in maintaining a good name than the dealership, and Lexus will do more for you.
Good Luck.
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-07-17, 07:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 698 Likes on 511 Posts

This isn't normal. Very disappointing they would tell you that.

We had a headlight on our 2004 RX that fogged up after going to the car wash. It was off warranty at the time. The dealer didn't waste any time telling me it had a broken seal. The normal cost was $700 but since the car only had 24k miles on it they worked out some sort of deal with Lexus corporate and we got it for dealer cost and they waived the labor. I seem to recall it was about $400. For reference, I should also point out the RX had the auto leveling headlights.
HsunL14 (01-08-17)
Old 01-08-17, 01:21 PM
HsunL14
Driver School Candidate

WOW thank you all for the prompt replies!!! I really appreciate all the comments and help! So I tried calling the Lexus dealership where I bought the car and also the one that is closest to my residence yesterday. But things didn’t go well and I am just more confused than ever how Lexus dealerships deal with customers.

Also this lamp condensation issues has made me wonder if this batch of ES 350 all share similar problems or if it is just my car that is having this annoying issue.

I bought the car in north shore Vancouver but I live in Richmond, which is about an hour away drive, so I contacted the most convenient dealership Open Road Lexus in Richmond.

The first time the lady picked up and told me that this condensation issue is normal. The second time a guy picked up and told me the same thing and that he’s seen a lot of Lexus cars with the same condensations in both the head and tail lamps and that even the 2017 models would have this “normal” phenomenon because they all have ventilated lamps. (Why would he say this, I don’t like to assume and accuse people but I felt like I was again lied to )

And what exactly is a ventilated lamp? I researched this but it still doesn’t make sense that condensations in the lamp could be rationalized in any way.

He also mentioned that since my car is a pre-owned (I am the second owner, I bought this baby a week ago, I am sorry if I didn’t make it clear enough before but instinctively this is a new car to me), even though the basic warranty on my car is still good for another 6 months, the warranty does not apply to the lamps where there have been repairs due to a previous collision (it was a minor one on the front right side of the bumper and the right headlamp was repaired).

He also told me that the diagnostics alone will cost me $150/hour. But then the thing is that, I carefully read through all the insurance claim and repair records kindly provided by the previous owner when I got the car, the repair of the lamp was done by the same Richmond Auto Mall Lexus dealership. So what is with the quality of the repair at the Lexus dealership???? And why would I be charged for this pricey hourly diagnostics fee for the repair work that they obviously did not perform properly before?? Is it possible that he was trying to scare me away and didn’t want to deal with a bad repair job that they did?? If that’s the case, this is a little heart breaking.

I tried my best to describe the condensations, the fogginess, and the water droplets, and both the lady and the guy from the Open Road Lexus service department told me that this is normal and that if anything I should go back to the north shore dealership where I got the car from. I understand that this is reasonable. So I contacted the north shore dealership where I got the car from. They again told me that the condensation is normal and that their mechanics have thoroughly inspected the car before they sold it to me and that all the lamps were deemed normal. They kept saying that this car is guaranteed problem free and that it was one that they sold and bought back when the previous owner traded in her car for a new one a month or so before. They told me that I could go back and get my car checked out again anytime but the results will just be the same. They also told me that if I don’t believe them I could always go to Open Road Lexus or this other Lexus dealership in Vancouver to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. How hard is it for them to just inspect the lamps again and be honest with me? I love the car and just want the lamps fixed that’s all. I even asked myself if I was being unreasonable at one point.

What makes me more frustrated and disappointed is that neither dealership even consider the possibility that maybe they could’ve missed something when they repaired the lamps before or when they inspected the car before. None of the service agents mentioned anything about possible damaged seal or plugged drain hole etc. It almost felt like as if those words were some sort of taboo words that would get them into trouble.

I mean I asked them so politely and even though I know that they are probably wrong in telling me that the condensations are normal I still indirectly and nicely suggested to them that perhaps they could take another look and check out the car again. But they just told me that the issue is normal, that I should go somewhere else and get the car checked out, and that the results will be the same, and that if i insist on checking out this “normal” issue i’d be charged $150 an hour for diagnostics.

I thought Lexus has the best customer service before but why is this happening.. Gotta say I am a little disappointed. I just feel like everyone is tossing the issues around and I don’t know what is the best route of action that I should take anymore. I simply just want to fix the problems on my first car and enjoy the Lexus experience.

I noticed that most people here are from the States. I really appreciate all the help for this lone Canadian here. I am very grateful for all the feedbacks and suggestions that you all have provided me with. And I really appreciate you taking the effort and time to read and reply me. Thank you!
Old 01-08-17, 01:30 PM
HsunL14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
Definitely not normal. If it's normal, then the dealer loan cars should have it too. They are usually parked outside. Ask them to show you a car with condensation in the head and tail lights.

I asked the sales agent that sold me the car to show me if other cars park in their parking lot have the issue the other day. He showed me a couple and said something alone the lines of "look they all have this common condensation, its normal." But then I didn't see any in their parked cars and he said it is because the cars have been there for a while and the lamps have not bee used. Then HE WALKED OUT ON ME.... I am not sure if he found it annoying to deal with a girl who doesn't seem to know much about cars and kept questioning the lamps....
Old 01-08-17, 01:47 PM
HsunL14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I'm sorry to hear your experience with your Lexus letting you down. I'm also MAD the dealership lied to you and said it's "normal." It's not normal, and extended condensation in your lens will cause your bulbs to not work/fail, because of the moisture and will also corrode the electrical connections! Look for BIG $$$ to have wiring harnesses replaced when that happens!

You should IMMEDIATELY contact the general manager of that dealership in addition to contacting any of the Lexus representatives on the forum. Their names are: LexCareMO, LexCareMD, LexCareSC and LexCareSP.

Please read the following post and it should help you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...lub-lexus.html

Regardless what option you choose, either the general manager of the dealership, via the forum, or calling their customer service # at 1 (800) 255-3987, hopefully they will correct their defective product. And it IS defective, and is NOT normal in any manner what so ever.
Thank you so much for your suggestion! Quick question, should I just contact Lexus customer service directly and see what they say rather than contacting the dealership manager first? Should I even give the dealership another chance? It was already so mentally draining to deal with their service department and sales. And the way they respond me makes me feel like no dealership wants to deal with this problem (I just posted my new update with the issue) I don't know which way is the better action here. That said, I will still contact the representatives on this forum, hopefully they could help out Canadian customer as well.
Old 01-08-17, 02:12 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Any good dealership or repair shop guarantees their work for life. Even though it wasn't you they repaired the car for, Lexus should stand behind their work. I would go back to the dealership that did the repair and work it out with them. Go straight to the service manager then get the GM involved if need be. Then the DM. Stay on them.
Old 01-08-17, 06:24 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by HsunL14
Thank you so much for your suggestion! Quick question, should I just contact Lexus customer service directly and see what they say rather than contacting the dealership manager first? Should I even give the dealership another chance? It was already so mentally draining to deal with their service department and sales. And the way they respond me makes me feel like no dealership wants to deal with this problem (I just posted my new update with the issue) I don't know which way is the better action here. That said, I will still contact the representatives on this forum, hopefully they could help out Canadian customer as well.
Yes. If you're tired of dealing with the people at the dealership, then go above their heads. Contact any of the customer service reps on our forum, or call the 800# listed. You should not have a stomach ache when you talk to the service people! You must make the effort to take the next step though. You can do it, and you'll be happier once they fix your Lexus. This would have NEVER been acceptable Lexus customer service/customer care in the 90's or early 2000's!!!

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 01-09-17 at 02:26 PM.