Old 06-28-15, 07:17 AM
rrr757
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Have to decide by Monday.

Used 2013 es300H 36k miles
Not from Lexus dealership.

Was listed at 32900 getting it for like 29k and getting almost $1500 -$2000 more on my trade compared to Carmax and Lexus dealership.

Features that I know
Navi
Park assists
Blindspot monitor
Bamboo trim
Cool heated ventilated seats.

Also can I get Lexus extended warranty for this still not buying from Lexus. If not any recommendations on 3rd party warranty. Never had a hybrid not sure of maintenance and other costs.

Thank you.
Old 06-28-15, 07:50 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

That is quite a few miles for a 2013 but not extraordinary. A little over the national average.

If the car is in good condition otherwise, and given the stated trade-in advantage, I think it sounds like a pretty good deal.

I don't know the answer to your warranty question and not even sure who you could ask. There must be a lexus number you could call to inquire. Your local dealer might have the answer but thy might also try to get you in so they can sell you a car.

Nice cars and I certainly wouldn't be afraid of a nice well-maintained used one. Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-28-15, 08:24 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

A word of caution regarding buying aftermarket warranties: There are numerous unscrupulous companies out there that will promise you that "this warranty covers everything" and when time comes for coverage you're out of luck due to fine print. Several in the last year were sued by the Feds. There's several threads on this forum discussing the value - and non-value - of extended warranties. Lots of opinions, mostly negative.
Old 06-29-15, 12:18 AM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

To compare, I bought a 2013 ES 300h in March of this year, it was a CPO vehicle and had only 13k miles, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles, i paid $34,000 out the door.

All ES 300h come with factory 6 yr / 100,000 miles warranty. Since it is a 2013 you will still have 2.5 - 3 years warranty on mechanical and the hybrid electric system.

I think its a pretty good deal, given that there is no damage or accidents on the history of the vehicle. Thats why i personally went for a CPO, gives me piece of mind. But if everything is checked out, i would go for it.
Old 06-29-15, 01:53 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I think the hybrid drivetrain and battery are covered up to 8 years. Hopefully the traction battery lasts longer than that, otherwise it's an expensive dealer repair.
Old 06-29-15, 04:15 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

I think depending on the condition of the exterior and interior it is a very good deal. I just bought last week from a Lexus dealer a certified 2013 Lexus ES 300h. Mine was in excellent shape and included a rear spoiler which I would have gotten anyway. They threw in a nav update and paid $32,000. Mine has all the features that yours has. I came from an Acura RL which I loved. Had two RL's that I drove a total of 250,000 miles.
Old 06-29-15, 04:54 AM
rrr757
Driver School Candidate

First thank you for all the replies.

So the deal is where I am at all the CPO's with similar specs but like 20-30K miles are $32-$34k plus tt&l and there are not very many of them. Plus the 2K difference from the trade makes a $5K-7K difference for more miles on the one i am buying but getting better color combinations. I think we will just do it. I might just drive it and see how it does while its under warranty and go from there. They offered to take it to there Lexus dealership in the same family of companies and get a an inspection ( I pay for) - not sure that will be worth it, it drove nice, looked nice. I guess I just need to get over it and get the dang thing this will be our third Lexus - I am new to hybrids thats the only reason I was concerned a bit.

thanks.
Old 06-29-15, 06:27 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PirelliES

All ES 300h come with factory 6 yr / 100,000 miles warranty. Since it is a 2013 you will still have 2.5 - 3 years warranty on mechanical and the hybrid electric system.
My wife's 300h basic warranty is 48 months/50k mi. Hybrid system is 96 months/100k mi. And Powertrain is 72 months/70k mi.
Old 06-29-15, 07:19 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about either a CPO or other extended warranty.

As others have pointed out, the remainder of the factory warranty transfers to new owners. In the unlikely event that you end up with a vehicle with serious issues, you should, during what is left of the factory warranty, have plenty of time to see signs that that is the case and to get rid of the vehicle before those factory warranties expire.

Whether is is a CPO warranty or another extended warranty, those warranties are extremely high mark-up items for the dealers. While there may be rare instances where someone gets back in warranty claims more than he/she paid for the CPO or other extended warranty, those instances are extremely rare, both because most issues would be covered by the remainder of the factory warranty and because Lexus and Toyota vehicles are especially reliable.

If I really wanted a vehicle with CPO designation or with an extended warranty, my strategy would be to negotiate the best price that I could on the vehicle without CPO designation or other extended warranty. After doing so, I'd ask how much more the price would be with CPO designation or with an extended warranty. If you make it clear that you would only be interested in buying the vehicle if it had the extended warranty, you would be likely to find that the dealer would be willing to add it for a few hundred dollars because the dealer's cost to designate a vehicle as a CPO vehicle or to add an other extended warranty is so minimal that the dealer isn't going to want to lose a sale over it.

Another way of looking at is that, if you don't buy a CPO vehicle or an extended warranty, the cost savings are likely to be in the same range as what the additional cost would be to buy a car that is a year newer. If, instead of buying the year older vehicle with the extended warranty, you buy the newer vehicle, you end up with one more year of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, one more year of the drive train warranty, one more year of the hybrid warranty, etc., and you will be driving a newer vehicle with less mileage and wear and tear on it.

Last edited by lesz; 06-29-15 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-30-15, 08:03 AM
rrr757
Driver School Candidate

Going to pick it up today thanks everyone. Now I need to figure what changes I will make to this and our 2015 GX. Plastidip comes to mind in the grills. Led headlight replacement if its halogen bulbs. The Carista app maybe - tired of asking the dealership and they forget to change settings. And now that I have two newer Lexuses. I have actually been disappointed in the service so far at the dealership. Window tinted three times and still bubbles and left residue spray everywhere. Also on 2013 es300h how do you update the maps its not DVD rip anymore right?

Thanks again everyone - will post pics later.
Old 06-30-15, 10:28 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

The update on the nav needs to be done at the dealer. My 2013 had a fall of 2012 version. Part of ther deal was they updated the nav version to the latest one which is fall 2014. I also had them install the invisible front bumper protection. I was going to have the guy that did my Acura RL do it for $500. He is an independent shop. The dealership showed be theirs on the same car as mine in the showroom. It is a ES starfire pearl. It is hard to see the line on the hood. They did the front bumper, headlights, mirrors, inside the door handles and about twelve inches up the hood. This will be my third car with this and highly recommend it.
Old 07-01-15, 05:12 AM
rrr757
Driver School Candidate

Got it!! Really enjoying it. Have to look at the manual and adjust settings for sure getting the clear bra. Got it on the GX already.

Question we noticed one thing yesterday. The navigation/dashboard seems to change from like day/night mode on and off but the headlights seemed to have stayed on. and it was even fully dark outside. Anyone know if there is an issue or setting to fix that?

Also Dealership only gave 1 key, best way place to get the key fob uncut and get it programmed and cut? I saw some on ebay but wasnt sure if they would be right or not and how to know I am getting the correct one and who cuts the key part, etc.

Thanks
Old 07-01-15, 05:34 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rrr757
Got it!! Really enjoying it. Have to look at the manual and adjust settings for sure getting the clear bra. Got it on the GX already.

Question we noticed one thing yesterday. The navigation/dashboard seems to change from like day/night mode on and off but the headlights seemed to have stayed on. and it was even fully dark outside. Anyone know if there is an issue or setting to fix that?

Also Dealership only gave 1 key, best way place to get the key fob uncut and get it programmed and cut? I saw some on ebay but wasnt sure if they would be right or not and how to know I am getting the correct one and who cuts the key part, etc.

Thanks
Congratulations on your new car! Enjoy!
Old 07-01-15, 07:09 AM
jda2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rrr757

Thanks
Congrats on your purchase. enjoy.

Read my post about not going to the dealer for a second smartkey
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-smartkey.html
Old 07-04-15, 01:42 PM
rrr757
Driver School Candidate

Got the tint and clear bra put on yesterday. As normal Bridgestone tires suck, sure that is contributing to some of the road noise.

Once I get it cleaned up will post pictures.

Doh!!! had the maintenance light come on when buying completely over looked that... I know the dealership where I got it changed the oil, etc. Will have to check the manual and see what else is missing and that I need to get done.

So far really happy and impressed with the Hybrid - still trying to learn it all. For the most part keeping it on the normal drive setting.

Compared to my 2015 GX - seems like the ES everything is XM subscription required for traffic/weather. Will the updates to the system change this, or will it always be like XM weather vs weather channel. The joystick is still taking a bit getting used to compared to the touch in the GX.

Thanks everyone