Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

300h vs Accord hybrid Touring

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-15, 07:35 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default 300h vs Accord hybrid Touring

So an Accord Hybrid Touring with all the bells and whistles would be in the mid 30s, and a good deal on a base 300h can be had for around 40. A year old 300h would be similarly priced to a new Accord Hybrid Touring. I am interested in how they compare driving wise, as the hybrid drive trains are very different, both from manufacturers which have significant engineering horsepower.
1) The Toyota HSD is well proven technology but the engine does kick in relatively eagerly unless one is very gentle with the gas pedal. 7 times out of 10, one will not feel the engine, but sometimes one does feel a slightly un dignified, un Lexus like shaking, which one presumes is normal. To me this happens mostly if the engine comes on at the instant the gas pedal is pressed after the light turns green and one has an impatient driver 12" from the rear end in a Caddy Escalade. The HSD is very quiet and I find the MG2 whine rather pleasant to hear. I kind of like the ES300h engine sound if one accelerates briskly in power mode. It does not seem harsh or unpleasant in any way.
2) I have never sat in a Honda hybrid vehicle, but I understand that the ICE does not couple to the wheels unless the car is moving faster than 45mph. Therefore presumably there is no shaking at lower speeds because there is no direct connection. The reviews have stated that there is more of a disconnect between the ICE sounds and the car motion, which seems weird, and the Honda ICE is loud. However the Honda has active noise reduction, which the 300h does not. So is the Honda louder or quieter wit the active noise reduction?

I believe canesguy has both a 300h and a HAH and therefore should not have a bias to either. Unless he drives the nicer one and his wife drives the other one

Will appreciate a one-on-one comparison, especially since the HAH Touring is the top of the line Accord.
Old 04-05-15, 08:16 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually the engine sounds are very similar between the two cars. They both get somewhat buzzy when either idling for a while or when accelerating briskly and the ICE kicks in. I would say that the Accord Hybrid (HAH) sounds slightly more intrusive and less refined than the 300h. Neither I nor the wife use either car in ECO mode. I use my 300h about 99% in sport mode, and she uses the equivalent in the HAH. Where the HAH really shines is with mpg. Whereas I average a range of 37-41 with the 300h, the HAH consistently is getting 48-52 mpg (actual calculated mpg). I find the mileage of either amazing with the HAH being comparable to a Prius in a lot more car.

Both cars are considerably more solid, refined and sophisticated than the other hybrids (Prius 2010, CT200h 2013) that we've had. That said, I wouldn't say that either are not harsh and noisy at times. The Lexus is quieter but I would not say that the HAH is loud. The Lexus is more brisk at take-offs, and passing, but not by much. BTW, I like the oem Michelin's on the HAH more than the Bridgestones I got on the Lexus.

The way my cars are configured, the 300h lists for about $7k more than the HAH, and to some extent, you get what you pay for. Interestingly, the HAH has real leather seats vs, Nuluxe in the Lexus, yet those in the 300h seem more buttery soft. The HAH lacks BSM's and park assist. For dash lay-out and graphics, the nod goes to the HAH, with it's almost 3D appearance, but the sound system and ease of controls goes to the Lexus.

Both have great fit and finish. Except for the gas mileage and price, considering interior materials and overall degree of sophistication, the Lexus wins by a nose.

Last edited by Canesguy; 04-05-15 at 10:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-15, 08:27 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

That 52 mpg figure is amazing. I have to do my best at efficient driving to even get 42 mpg in the ES. I think the HAH does better by using a denser lithium ion battery pack so it can run on electric mode for longer. It also has a simple transmission that connects the engine to the wheels through a clutch without an intervening gearbox. Toyota's planetary gearset may be smoother but it's not as efficient. I've read that the HAH is jerkier on engine start and stop like Audi hybrids and unlike Toyota/Lexus hybrids.

Then again, if Honda puts this hybrid system into the TLX or RLX or even a CR-V, they could leapfrog Toyota.
Old 04-05-15, 08:33 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

That 52 mpg figure is amazing.
Totally.

I've read that the HAH is jerkier on engine start and stop like Audi hybrids and unlike Toyota/Lexus hybrids.
Maybe, thinking about it, but I haven't noticed this to any appreciable degree.

Then again, if Honda puts this hybrid system into the TLX or RLX or even a CR-V, they could leapfrog Toyota.
They would give the Avalon Hybrid Ltd. and ES300h a run for the money.
Old 04-05-15, 08:38 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I considered the HAH but the trunk volume was a little too small for my family. The 300h and Avalon Hybrid seemed to have large enough trunks. Fusion Hybrid also had a small trunk.
Old 04-05-15, 09:12 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

....considered the HAH but the trunk volume was a little too small.....

Agreed, and one complaint I have about the car considering its size.