Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The future of car engines / pricing

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-15, 06:32 AM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The future of car engines / pricing

I find it interesting with car prices on what has higher value.

1 - Bigger vehicles cost more than smaller vehicles - understandable since you are using more materials

2 - You pay for horsepower - a 300 HP engine costs more than a 200 HP engine although the more powerful engine is less efficient and you will pay more for gas

3 - Hybrids cost more than conventional engines

I find 3 interesting since hybrids are more efficient and the US Govt subsidies have gone away for consumers. They now only exist for EV models (ie. Nissan Leaf or Tesla)

I think the future model will be a combination of 2 and 3.

Being a Lexus board I will use Toyota tech as an example for what i see happening -

- Eco hybrid will be the cheapest model with a Prius type engine with minimal horsepower. Could produce potentially 50 miles per gallon.

- Sport Hybrid turbo / DI will be the 2nd model. This is a model that uses the hybrid technology for city type of stop and go traffic and for cruising but the 224+ hp engine controls the vehicle at all other times.
Using Direct Injection, Turbo, or the Honda tech of dropping to 2 or 3 cylinders can also help this. I think the Infiniti Q50 hybrid has tech similar to what I am describing. BMW also has an active hybrid with 300 + hp. Could produce potentially 40 miles per gallon.

- Regular engine - This will be using similar non-hybrid tech with output similar to what some of the top line vehicles produce today (ie. Lexus NX 200T/ RX). Could produce potentially 25-35 miles per gallon.

Basically I am saying you pay for engine performance and lack of efficiency. If you want to burn fossil fuels and have higher emissions then you get taxed for it.

While driving my NX today in some local traffic and seeing my mpg since last refill drop I was thinking that my 235 hp engine combined with hybrid tech for city traffic or cruising can be nice and probably lift the avg mpg on my vehicle from around 25 to 30 or higher.
Old 08-03-15, 08:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wildeklave
Basically I am saying you pay for engine performance and lack of efficiency.
But total vehicle cost is surely more than just that.

Take a classic example of the popular MINI. 4-banger compacts that typically go for $30k or even more based on customization and amenities. All those modifications and electronics aren't cheap.

And then look at roadsters/convertibles. Even a small and efficient engine tacked on a roofless car will be expensive.

Finally, some high performance engines with poor fuel efficiency can be cheap. Small pick-up trucks and off-road vehicles like Jeep come to mind...
Old 08-03-15, 10:14 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

1 - Bigger vehicles cost more than smaller vehicles - understandable since you are using more materials

2 - You pay for horsepower - a 300 HP engine costs more than a 200 HP engine although the more powerful engine is less efficient and you will pay more for gas

I find 3 interesting since hybrids are more efficient and the US Govt subsidies have gone away for consumers. They now only exist for EV models (ie. Nissan Leaf or Tesla)

I think the future model will be a combination of 2 and 3.

Being a Lexus board I will use Toyota tech as an example for what i see happening -

- Eco hybrid will be the cheapest model with a Prius type engine with minimal horsepower. Could produce potentially 50 miles per gallon.

- Sport Hybrid turbo / DI will be the 2nd model. This is a model that uses the hybrid technology for city type of stop and go traffic and for cruising but the 224+ hp engine controls the vehicle at all other times.
Using Direct Injection, Turbo, or the Honda tech of dropping to 2 or 3 cylinders can also help this. I think the Infiniti Q50 hybrid has tech similar to what I am describing. BMW also has an active hybrid with 300 + hp. Could produce potentially 40 miles per gallon.

- Regular engine - This will be using similar non-hybrid tech with output similar to what some of the top line vehicles produce today (ie. Lexus NX 200T/ RX). Could produce potentially 25-35 miles per gallon.

Basically I am saying you pay for engine performance and lack of efficiency. If you want to burn fossil fuels and have higher emissions then you get taxed for it.

While driving my NX today in some local traffic and seeing my mpg since last refill drop I was thinking that my 235 hp engine combined with hybrid tech for city traffic or cruising can be nice and probably lift the avg mpg on my vehicle from around 25 to 30 or higher.
You are a little all over the place, however I think I kind a get what you are saying.

Yes you pay for HP, however the people who pay for HP usually have the money so it kind a becomes a wash.

On the other hand, those who do not have tons of money, Cruze or Corolla buyers are usually the type that do not want to pay for HP. This is why a diesel Cruze will likely not do very well.

I believe Toyota tried the 2-3 option with the RX400, GS450h and the LS600h which did not really do all that well. But there was a big price premium there.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-03-15, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Generally true, but size alone doesn't necessarily mean more materials. The Buick Verano and Chrysler 200, for example, are two small-to-medium-size semi-luxury sedans that both use a lot of added sound insulation and have a fair amount of equipment standard on them. And some entry-level full-size pickup trucks can be half a block long, but still be as stark and basic as the inside of a taxi.

Again, size and/or power alone, in engines, doesn't tell you the whole story. Engines stressed to produce (and handle) more HP and torque sometimes need special materials, and sometimes special strengthening of their existing materials. In other words, costing more to design and produce.

Again, not surprising when you consider that gas/electric hybrids have two (or more) propulsion engines, more advanced computers, longer Federally-required warranties on their hybrid parts (ultimately costing the company more in repairs), and large expensive battery packs that not only are expensive to produce, but also need special EPA-approved methods of recycling when worn out.
Old 08-03-15, 01:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Generally true, but size alone doesn't necessarily mean more materials. The Buick Verano and Chrysler 200, for example, are two small-to-medium-size semi-luxury sedans that both use a lot of added sound insulation and have a fair amount of equipment standard on them. And some entry-level full-size pickup trucks can be half a block long, but still be as stark and basic as the inside of a taxi. .
The Civic/ILX, the Cruze/Verano, as well as the Avalon/ES350 all are similar in that the premium version of the base car weights more. BUT, the weight increase in around 200-300 lbs is largely irrelevant.

The big weight differences comes in the change of engines and sizes. V6 over I4 or V8 in place of V6. Also, don't forget that transmission weight usually (but not always) increases the weight. We also have to not forget that safety features and option equipment makes a fairly large difference. Usually car manufacturers will add the extra features along with the larger engine, this will in effect increase the price.
Old 08-03-15, 01:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Civic/ILX, the Cruze/Verano, as well as the Avalon/ES350 all are similar in that the premium version of the base car weights more. BUT, the weight increase in around 200-300 lbs is largely irrelevant.
The Verano is heavier than the Cruze not simply because it is a premium version with more equipment, but because it is based more on an Opel design than the Cruze, which comes more from Daewoo. Opel designs tend to be heavy because of the way they do their frames and unibodies....the Buick Regal, also Opel-based, tends to be heavy.

Jill, you need to do some more research on the Verano if you are going to keep posting on it.
I don't mean to be rude, but you clearly do not understand this car or its origins. Hey, I've made some posts myself sometimes on vehicles that needed correcting....we all have.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-03-15 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Verano is heavier than the Cruze not simply because it is a premium version with more equipment, but because it is based more on an Opel design than the Cruze, which comes more from Daewoo. Opel designs tend to be heavy because of the way they do their frames and unibodies....the Buick Regal, also Opel-based, tends to be heavy.

Jill, you need to do some more research on the Verano if you are going to keep posting on it.
I don't mean to be rude, but you clearly do not understand this car or its origins. Hey,
made some posts myself sometimes on vehicles that needed correcting....we all have.
That is a little odd as everyone I talk too and including magazines like Motor Trend or Consumer Reports flat out say the car is based on the Chevy Cruze.

From what I have been told, the Cruze is the base for the Verano and Opel which all use the same body, as well as parts.
Old 08-03-15, 02:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Opel designs tend to be heavy because of the way they do their frames and unibodies...
Opel's do not use frames, they only use a unibody set up. While older cars from the past used frames, today, frames are usually reserved for large trucks and SUVs.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-03-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-03-15, 02:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Oh I hate to get into this, but...

Verano shares its Delta platform with the Chevrolet Cruze and Volt, and more closely with the Opel/Vauxhall Astra.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._buick_verano/

And while it shares GM’s “global compact vehicle” (formerly known as Delta II) architecture with the Chevy Cruze and Volt, other than basic size, there’s no hint of family resemblance. Most of the exterior sheetmetal and chassis tuning came the long way through the GM hierarchy—from the Opel Astra.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-verano-review

It’s not known which Buick would get an oil burner but the likely candidate is the Verano, which shares a platform with Chevy’s Cruze, which is now available with a four cylinder turbo diesel in the U.S. The Opel Astra, even more closely related to the Verano, already offers a 1.9 liter CTDI diesel in Europe.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/tag/buick-verano/
Old 08-03-15, 02:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What does Consumer Reports say? Not that I have much respect for CR. I believe Edmund's states that the Verano is based off the Cruze.
Old 08-03-15, 02:56 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One big factor you don't consider in the original post is economies of scale. This plays a huge part in the pricing of vehicles
Old 08-03-15, 03:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^ I was just thinking about this. Take the 2GR-FE engine, for example. If the only application for that engine were the V6 Camry, it would be a much more expensive engine option than it currently is. By putting it in countless other vehicles (Venza, Sienna, RX, Highlander, ES, Avalon, etc.) the cost comes down.

Development cost is another huge consideration. It takes engineering dollars (NRE - Non Recurring Engineering) to develop those new engines. Those development costs get pushed down to the consumers.
Old 08-03-15, 03:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I was just thinking about this. Take the 2GR-FE engine, for example. If the only application for that engine were the V6 Camry, it would be a much more expensive engine option than it currently is. By putting it in countless other vehicles (Venza, Sienna, RX, Highlander, ES, Avalon, etc.) the cost comes down.

Development cost is another huge consideration. It takes engineering dollars (NRE - Non Recurring Engineering) to develop those new engines. Those development costs get pushed down to the consumers.
Yes, this is all true, including platform sharing, where it is built et ect.
Old 08-03-15, 03:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
One big factor you don't consider in the original post is economies of scale. This plays a huge part in the pricing of vehicles
Yes very true. But you still pay for more HP and larger engines which is usually packaged with more options. That being said, the larger engines also benefit from economies of scale as well.
Old 08-03-15, 03:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What does Consumer Reports say? Not that I have much respect for CR. I believe Edmund's states that the Verano is based off the Cruze.
I'd like to pull this thread back to the topic of engines. However...no idea what CR says, as I'm not a subscriber.

As for Edmunds:

The 2011 Regal was the first Opel-based model in Buick's product line. That was followed by the 2012 Verano sedan, a version of the Opel Astra. This past February Buick dealers started selling the subcompact Encore crossover, which is based on the Opel Mokka.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/buic...t-to-opel.html

Quick Reply: The future of car engines / pricing