ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Check VSC ENgine light and traction control light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 12:09 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Check VSC ENgine light and traction control light on

2007 ES 350 so I have had this happen a few time sin the last few months.
The first time was about two months ago. Driving through the dessert on my way up north for the winter. I stopped the car after doing some research and tightened the gas cap then drove about 70 to 80 miles stopped about six times to allow the start cycle to cycle through and the message went away.

Then tonight it came back on did the same thing it went away after about 60 miles. Then the second I pulled into my driveway it came back for the 2nd time in one night. Does it sound like the gas cap is the culprit and or anything else it might be to happen twice in one night?

I don't use cheap gas I just put gas in about 150 miles ago this morning I always pump at Costco, and they have one of the top tier fuels.
Old 12-13-15, 04:37 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

We can't help you. Actually no body can help you since you have no codes. Those lights can come for milions of readins. The gas cap is one of them.
Old 12-13-15, 11:47 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Geat attitude you have about it. Thanks for the reply.

I feel it the gas cap because I went out this morning and tightened it and then cycled the engine several times nad stop and go traffic to work and then just before I started to head back up to work I stopped one last time turned off and then back on and lights where all off.
I just though maybe people would be a bit nicer but even with the reply you no sometimes better to say nothing that be a smart *** with your reply man
Old 12-14-15, 12:51 AM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like LjeksesES said, you need to get the codes... I had a similar problem with mine, lights would go on and then off for a while, the problem was due to a faulty oxygen sensor but again, yours can be completely unrelated.

Cheers!
Old 12-14-15, 09:11 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Originally Posted by jbalian
Like LjeksesES said, you need to get the codes... I had a similar problem with mine, lights would go on and then off for a while, the problem was due to a faulty oxygen sensor but again, yours can be completely unrelated.

Cheers!
ok cool thanks
will the codes still be there to read even if there is not lights on at the moments ?
Old 12-14-15, 09:27 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
ok cool thanks
will the codes still be there to read even if there is not lights on at the moments ?
Yes. The codes should be still stored in the computer. If you really suspect the gas cap, go to your local auto parts store and buy a new one for a few bucks and see if it solves your problem.
Old 12-14-15, 09:44 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

It is much easier to go to Auto Zone and read the codes for free.
Old 12-14-15, 11:17 AM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkayca
Yes. The codes should be still stored in the computer. If you really suspect the gas cap, go to your local auto parts store and buy a new one for a few bucks and see if it solves your problem.
Interestingly, I had a problem with my gas cap on my old Accord when I went to have the
required EPA test performed a few years ago. It didn't pass because I didn't have the Honda
Gas Cap. Seriously. I had to get one from Honda and then it passed! Go figure!
Old 12-14-15, 07:13 PM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Interestingly, I had a problem with my gas cap on my old Accord when I went to have the
required EPA test performed a few years ago. It didn't pass because I didn't have the Honda
Gas Cap. Seriously. I had to get one from Honda and then it passed! Go figure!
Interesting indeed! I had the exact opposite problem with my old Maxima. I got it e-tested one year and it failed. The shop put on a new, non-Nissan, gas cap and it passed.
Old 01-15-16, 11:36 AM
Seadaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace the gas cap. It's a cheap fix, less than $25 from Lexus dealer. I had the same problem, came on, then off, then on again. After I replaced the gas cap it went out after about a week and stayed off. Common problem and you could see the original gas cap seal was old and compressed. Dealer recommended I bring it in and they can check the code. I said I'll try this first and of course after I paid for it they then said, "oh yeah, we sell a lot of gas cap replacements..." They had plenty of them in stock too. Same thing happened to my 2016 Ford company car, 99% of the time that's the problem, gas cap was new so I didn't need to replace it, just had to remove and reattach it correctly, lights disappeared in about a week.