Audio system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-13, 10:45 PM
edmontonia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system upgrade

Hello all,

I always wanted to drive a car that is quiet and ride smooth. Adding the reliaiblity factor, my search narrowed down to ES 350. My preference is to buy a 3-4 year old so that I dont have to pay the new car premium. Although I test drove a 2013 ES350 today to see how it feels. I instantly fell in love and decided that ES350 would be my next car purchase (still not a brand new one). I drove an ES350 with Leather and Navigation Package (so no Mark Levinson audio). I connected my iphone via bluetooth. To my ears, the music sounded only 'okay'. My question here is how to improve sound if I get an used ES 350 without ML audio.

Is it easy to upgrade to a better audio system? What's a reasonable cost estimate for a good system?

I wish I could find an used car with ML audio but in the small city where I live, hardly an used ES350 comes on sale and so the chances are slim. So I really dont know there is a point to wating.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by edmontonia; 03-23-13 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 08:55 AM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

welcome to CL. I think thats all peeps who have es350s do is upgrade the sound system, many park the es350s in their living rooms as part of their home sound system. You will have dozens of them on here shortly telling u what they did w pics ad neasum. To beat them to the punch do a search of "es350 audio upgrade" on the forum and see who they all are.

myself im tone deaf and wouldnt know a tweet from a woof so i can only suffer their posts in silence.

welcome again
Old 03-25-13, 07:36 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I upgraded my non-nav system - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-a-2007-a.html
Twistedman upgraded his as well - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-es-350-a.html

The problem you will run into is that your climate controls are in the nav screen. That makes the non-nav radios much easier to swap out. You can upgrade all of the speakers and that will give you some improvement. But the biggest improvement in sound came when I put in a new head unit.
Old 03-25-13, 02:46 PM
twistedman
Rookie

Heres another example!!!

Its all going to come down to how much money you are willing to spend, the sound you are looking for, and your sources in Alberta!!!
Old 03-29-13, 03:06 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't tell you just how disappointed I was with the stock system on this car until I recently replaced the speakers, added an amp and a subwoofer. It wasn't cheap, but it was the best money I've spent in a long time and my car still appears completely stock...until you pop the trunk.
Old 04-06-13, 01:14 PM
pingpong9
Driver School Candidate

I recently purchased a 2012 ES350 with NAV and a stock sound system....the sound system is awful to say the least. The sound system in my 2000 ES300 is better than what's in my 2012 ES350! I'm very dissapointed in Lexus...this is a beautiful car, well build and they go cheap on the sound system. It's almost as if they force you to purchase a Mark Levinson upgrade to get any decent sound. I'm just beginning to pursue what I can do to improve the sound system.....I'm sure it comes down to how much money you're willing to spend to get what you want. Good luck!
Old 04-06-13, 04:57 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Start off with Crutchfield and see what fits and is workable. (www.crutchfield.com).
Old 04-07-13, 12:33 PM
RTSM
Driver

The ES350's with ML are hard to find as there are not too many sold and are part of the Ultra Luxary versions (even some UL's don't come with ML). I was not pleased with my wifes' 2007 with the standard audio so I bought a 2011 UL with ML (very hardto find) and the sound is much better however the system still lacks bass. Like most forum members I added a sub myself, it made the system complete, here is a link one of my posts -
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post7840095

While most will debate the value of the ML system, with the added sub I'm completely happy with the sound, be patient and try to find a UL version with ML, you'll love it (nice pano roof as well). It took me a while to find the one I wanted silver/black but the UL version is a very nice car and I'm sure you would be happy with it.
Old 04-07-13, 05:17 PM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTSM
The ES350's with ML are hard to find as there are not too many sold and are part of the Ultra Luxary versions (even some UL's don't come with ML).
ES ULs without ML must be so rare as to be nonexistent. I've never seen one or heard of one.

Anyone here got the UL ES w/o ML? Show yourselves!

To the OP, if you want to play with aftermarket audio, just stay away from any ES with nav, you'll be glad you did.
Old 04-07-13, 05:37 PM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Codejd: Did you retain the stock amp for the in-cabin speakers? I was going to go the route of replacing speakers, add an amp and a head unit - but I'd like to retain the stock look. Basically wanting to know (if anyone has experienced) that just replacing the crap speakers will improve the sound. I feel the stock amp has enough oomph; but obviously the customization is minimal over an aftermarket head unit / equalizer/crossover combo.

I've already added a JL 10" ported sub, a Kenwood 8105d and an AudioControl LC2i; a very good upgrade (and I disconnected the power to the stock sub. Didn't remove it; too much crap to remove just to get it out.) I find the stock speakers to be very harsh and overwelming in the upper midrange; makes my tinnitus-affected left ear hurt. I didn't get that in my last vehicle with Infinity speakers all around.

Last edited by mlacomb; 04-07-13 at 05:39 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 04-07-13, 09:14 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mlacomb
Codejd: Did you retain the stock amp for the in-cabin speakers? I was going to go the route of replacing speakers, add an amp and a head unit - but I'd like to retain the stock look. Basically wanting to know (if anyone has experienced) that just replacing the crap speakers will improve the sound. I feel the stock amp has enough oomph; but obviously the customization is minimal over an aftermarket head unit / equalizer/crossover combo.

I've already added a JL 10" ported sub, a Kenwood 8105d and an AudioControl LC2i; a very good upgrade (and I disconnected the power to the stock sub. Didn't remove it; too much crap to remove just to get it out.) I find the stock speakers to be very harsh and overwelming in the upper midrange; makes my tinnitus-affected left ear hurt. I didn't get that in my last vehicle with Infinity speakers all around.
The stock amp is no longer being used, instead the in-cabin speakers are now being powered by a separate amp to that of the added sub, while the existing sub & mid-dash speakers were simply disconnected but left in place for when the day comes to replace the vehicle.

Honestly though, I think your best bet would be to begin with replacing the stock speakers - as they are absolute trash - and see what you think. You can always add an amp at this point should you find it to be unsatisfactory, taking into account that you've already added a sub.

Be ready to finally enjoy listening to music in your Lexus!
Old 05-03-13, 12:35 PM
edmontonia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by codejd
The stock amp is no longer being used, instead the in-cabin speakers are now being powered by a separate amp to that of the added sub, while the existing sub & mid-dash speakers were simply disconnected but left in place for when the day comes to replace the vehicle.

Honestly though, I think your best bet would be to begin with replacing the stock speakers - as they are absolute trash - and see what you think. You can always add an amp at this point should you find it to be unsatisfactory, taking into account that you've already added a sub.

Be ready to finally enjoy listening to music in your Lexus!
Oh...okay. That helps. Starting with the speaker is a good idea if that is the main culprit.