ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Can't see my garage door button at night

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-11, 09:30 PM
TommyR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't see my garage door button at night

I am so impressed with almost all the engineering that has gone into the ES350. I really enjoy this car. The only fault I have found is that when I drive up to my house at night I cannot see or feel my garage door button in the roof panel. I know there is a little lite there, probably to help find that button in the dark..but I made a better solution to the problem. I found the little plastic nubs that have adhesive on them. People use them to put under dishes or picture frames to keep them from sliding. They have a sticky back. They are about 1/4 to 5/16s inch diameter. I took scissors and squared off two sides. Stuck that little clear piece of plastic/acrylic, whatever it is, right onto the correct garage door button. Now I have this unobtrusive tactil button that my hand can find very easy in the dark. I don't even have to look for it. Before I had it I often pushed the button that turned on the cab lights. Some of you may find this a good solution to this small problem.
Old 01-15-11, 01:27 AM
dman00001
Rookie

Absolutely! I've only had my 2007 two weeks but this is aggravating! My wife's 2006 RX seems much easier to find... I figured I'd get used to it eventually but I'm going to give your idea a try instead... thanks!
Old 01-15-11, 03:59 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same problem and it was frustrating until I got familiar with finding the correct button after a couple of weeks. I don't have a problem with it anymore. I like your idea, though!
Old 01-15-11, 05:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyR
I am so impressed with almost all the engineering that has gone into the ES350. I really enjoy this car. The only fault I have found is that when I drive up to my house at night I cannot see or feel my garage door button in the roof panel. I know there is a little lite there, probably to help find that button in the dark..but I made a better solution to the problem. I found the little plastic nubs that have adhesive on them. People use them to put under dishes or picture frames to keep them from sliding. They have a sticky back. They are about 1/4 to 5/16s inch diameter. I took scissors and squared off two sides. Stuck that little clear piece of plastic/acrylic, whatever it is, right onto the correct garage door button. Now I have this unobtrusive tactil button that my hand can find very easy in the dark. I don't even have to look for it. Before I had it I often pushed the button that turned on the cab lights. Some of you may find this a good solution to this small problem.
I did the exact same thing with my 2007 ES. The nubs I used were the clear type so they they aren't very noticeable. Is that the type you used? It worked so well, I did the same thing on my 2010.

IMO this is really an oversight by Lexus and one that could be easily corrected.
Old 01-15-11, 07:08 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I stopped coming home at night. My wife said she thought this was a good solution. LOL
Old 01-15-11, 09:58 AM
Richard95
Rookie

Originally Posted by TommyR
I like your solution. I always have a problem at night. I'm going to Home Depot right now to get the stickies.
Old 01-15-11, 11:13 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

My solution - We only have one garage door. The middle button has a raised protrusion in the middle. I choose that button. My wife feels up for the protrusion and presses. She never misses AND - I'd rather have the garage door opener built into the car in the roof console than on the mirror like I have it

Lou
Old 01-19-11, 07:42 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I did the exact same thing with my 2007 ES. The nubs I used were the clear type so they they aren't very noticeable. Is that the type you used? It worked so well, I did the same thing on my 2010.

IMO this is really an oversight by Lexus and one that could be easily corrected.
Unfortunately this may not be an oversight by Lexus. The new 2010+ RX's don't have illuminated garage buttons either (the older RX's did). Maybe Lexus is purposely going cheap.
Old 01-24-11, 07:34 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

I believe this a universal problem that almost all owners of the ES350 experience. I have/had the same problem when approaching my garage at night and on too many occasions I have hit the wrong button (the inside cab lights). What I do now is basically what lowrideraz described above, slide my finger to the protruding button, still I hope someone out there in Lexus land is 'listening'....it is indeed a simply fix. Lexus going cheap?? I certainly hope they are not, because there is just too much competition 'nipping' away at their heels to gain the top spot in this luxury segment. Can you say BMW?? and that's just for starters...
Old 01-24-11, 09:08 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I believe this a universal problem that almost all owners of the ES350 experience. I have/had the same problem when approaching my garage at night and on too many occasions I have hit the wrong button (the inside cab lights). What I do now is basically what lowrideraz described above, slide my finger to the protruding button, still I hope someone out there in Lexus land is 'listening'....it is indeed a simply fix. Lexus going cheap?? I certainly hope they are not, because there is just too much competition 'nipping' away at their heels to gain the top spot in this luxury segment. Can you say BMW?? and that's just for starters...
Yes, I certainly hope Lexus is not going cheap but it really does seem that way. For instance, the new gen RX's no longer have standard door sill illumination, the interior door handles once backlit in the Gen2 RX are now unlit, and it seems as though the amount of wood reduces a little at each successive generation... sad.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic now.
Old 01-29-11, 12:24 PM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Default Garage door buttons

I placed the clear plastic adhesive nubs on my 2 garage door opener buttons and I now can locate them at night. This was a great inexpensive solution to a frustrating poor design oversight.
Old 04-06-11, 12:55 PM
lambert61
Driver School Candidate

I absolutely hate this about my Lexus ES350. My wife constantly hits the interior light button when she drives this car instead of the garage door button. Lexus couldn't afford to put some type of lighting on this panel? This is just one more issue I have with this vechicle. Really not impressed.
Old 04-07-11, 07:51 AM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Default Garage door buttons

Lambert61
Reread my solution to the poorly lit garage door buttons on the ceiling of the car. The plastic adhesive stick on buttons are continuing to locate the door buttons 100% of the time when I place my finger on the button to open the garage door.
Old 04-07-11, 12:12 PM
nyardich
Driver

Smile Overhead lite fix

Originally Posted by lextooth
lambert61
reread my solution to the poorly lit garage door buttons on the ceiling of the car. The plastic adhesive stick on buttons are continuing to locate the door buttons 100% of the time when i place my finger on the button to open the garage door.
this is my fix and works great. Bought lights at odd lots.......
Fits perfectly in drink holder. Sets in bottom all you have to do is press to lite, press to turn off and lights up directly above.
Attached Thumbnails Can't see my garage door button at night-dsc05325.jpg   Can't see my garage door button at night-dsc05322.jpg