ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car and Driver Review of ES, Observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 08:26 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM is top selling import car manufacturer in China.
Over a third of all GM cars sold there are Buicks.
447k Buicks sold in China in 2009, 60% more than in 2008.
That's some good market position!
Old 06-18-10, 01:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by zhivuyatut
GM is top selling import car manufacturer in China.
Over a third of all GM cars sold there are Buicks.
447k Buicks sold in China in 2009, 60% more than in 2008.
That's some good market position!
Wasn't the LaCrosse designed with the China market as much as the U.S. market in mind?
Old 06-20-10, 12:42 AM
alckc
Driver School Candidate

The magazine's bias is not serving the U.S. auto makers any favors in the long run. They are only making the auto makers complacent with an unrealistic veiw that their products are still superior over their foreign competitiors.

I have owned GM cars over the years, but I have to admit that american cars fit, finish and reliability leaves something to be desired. The way they use plastic in the interior makes the car looks so cheap. Seems like they put all of their efforts into styling and half-*** it on the interior. Also, the reliability of the engine and drivetrain is suspect once you pass 50,000 or 60,000 miles. I had to overhaul my tranny on my Tahoe at 45,000 and my Grand Prix at 70,000.

Hopefully, the automakers get it now and start making quality products again. However, I have my doubts as long as the unions have such a strong voice in the auto industry. It should be quality pay for quality work, period. But, i'm going off on a tangent.
Old 06-20-10, 06:23 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at the plastic interior parts on the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I commented that my daughter's Jeep's interior reminded me of Tupperware.
Old 06-21-10, 11:28 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by alckc
The magazine's bias is not serving the U.S. auto makers any favors in the long run. They are only making the auto makers complacent with an unrealistic veiw that their products are still superior over their foreign competitiors.
Very good point...never thought of that. I think Honda more than anyone has a more unrealistic view than even the Americans, who seem to have turned things up a couple of notches.
Old 07-18-10, 08:52 PM
behannesey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by c6vert
we traded my wifes' 2007 MKZ, fully optioned, for a 2010 ES 350 at the end of April. I can tell you from personal experience, the ES is definitely much better in all categories than the MKZ. One intangible that they fail to address is the dealer service end of ownership. We had an intermittent problem with the MKZ that required a total of 5 trips to the dealership. That is not what upset me. No, the thing that really torqued me over was the fact they didn't give us a loaner! The 5th time the problem occurred, I called Lincoln Customer Service and demanded a loaner. They got us one and managed to fix the car after 5 days. The Lexus dealer has done everything but deliver dinner to our home since we purchased the car. And, that is what I expect when I spend this amount of money on a vehicle. Otherwise, I would just buy a Fusion or Corolla! BTW, no way would I buy a government motors car until the loans are paid back. I won't be holding my breath on that.
The dealership in Dallas is top notch. The 2010 ES350 is my third Lexus from this dealer. They ALWAYS have a loaner. They have a carwash hotline, they treat you like a Lexus owner. If you wait for service they have complementary soda, coffee. They also have several web access computers, newspapaers, TV.
Ford dealers are - well Ford dealers. But I still like my '99 Ford F150 SVT Lightning. The Special Vehicle Team is a separate production line with low volume high quality.
And I won't even consider a GM product unless they use the taxpayer bailout funds to give me one of there cars.
Old 07-22-10, 01:07 PM
safford197
Driver

I feel like I wouldn't pay for a copy of the original, just get the original for about 10% more...

In two or three years when the Buicks start going in for their first rounds of unscheduled maintenance it'd be interested to hear remarks for owners who might have considered a ES or even a Toyota.

It sort of seems funny that Lexus does a line refresh and LaCross is refreshed at the same time, I wonder if LaCross is using some of the old vendors for parts on the prior to 2010 ES350 and that's how they're being cost competitive? I also get the feeling that GM is only trying to meet the bar not reset the bar to a higher level - am I off base with that thought?
Old 07-22-10, 01:50 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by safford197
I feel like I wouldn't pay for a copy of the original, just get the original for about 10% more...

In two or three years when the Buicks start going in for their first rounds of unscheduled maintenance it'd be interested to hear remarks for owners who might have considered a ES or even a Toyota.

It sort of seems funny that Lexus does a line refresh and LaCross is refreshed at the same time, I wonder if LaCross is using some of the old vendors for parts on the prior to 2010 ES350 and that's how they're being cost competitive? I also get the feeling that GM is only trying to meet the bar not reset the bar to a higher level - am I off base with that thought?
A copy may be 10% less but I guarantee you the original will have way better trade value. Compare the lease residual between the two and you'll have an idea.