ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car and Driver Review of ES, Observations

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 08:18 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car and Driver Review of ES, Observations

I picked up the July issue of Car and Driver (C&D) and I can say without reservation that I remain unimpressed with the magazine in its critique of anything Lexus. Below are a few of my observations of what C&D is really attempting to do:

Firstly, the Lexus ES is an established upscale midsized car with a proven track record. C&D cannot ‘leap frog’ the competition ahead of Lexus or specifically ‘ride the coat tails’ of Lexus into the luxury category. It has to be earned.

Pay any visit to US News Auto Ranking and Reviews or J.D. Power and you will not find the Ford Taurus or Buick Lacrosse, compared with the ES. The ES is rightfully compared against the G37, BMW 3, Mercedes C, Audi A4, Acura TL, and Genesis. The only two American cars that can claim luxury status is the redesigned Lincoln MKZ and the Cadillac CTS and they do qualify as being upscale. Actually the BMW 3 series and maybe Mercedes C should really be compared with the IS, but that’s for another story in a different forum.

C&D blushes that the ES is a ‘rebadged’ Camry, a tired argument that lost legs long ago. C&D also mentions that the ES’s diminutive size predictably impinges on rear seat-space. Wow, what a revelation, if you compare the ES to the bulky and oversized Taurus or Lacrosse. These cars are big, and should be compared against the Toyota Avalon which is rated #1 by US News Rankings. I looked at the Avalon and it’s a very good car, but my family has downsized so I don’t need to get around town in big car. Having said that, the ES still offers very generous room and space for its class.

C&D also takes a swipe at the ride quality of the ES describing it’s handling as “subbasement”, whatever that means; I have long said that if you want a car where you can slip around a corner at 40-50 mph, then the ES is not for you, try a BMW or G37. However, if you want a car with a super smooth silky ride, insulated from the outside world, while being pampered with the trappings of luxury at a decent price, then the ES is your ride hands down.

A few good things were mentioned about the ES, speed and fit and finish, but C&D comparison of the ES handling as being subpar is dishonest, cars as heavy as the Lacrosse and Taurus will naturally ride heavy, furthermore a tight suspension almost always results in a ‘bumpy’ ride. The ES is light and has ‘stealth’ like ride. The ES wanders?? Umm, I wonder what car C&D drove. I have never had any problems keeping the ES on track even when going over bumps.

Take fit, finish and quality of materials of my wife’s 05 ES 330 and it would still be better than the 2010 Lacrosse and Taurus. I know what I’m talking about here. Let’s get real, by comparing the ES with the Lacrosse and Taurus, C&D wants buyers to think that these cars are upscale and are therefore in the same class, that’s a joke, don’t get me wrong they are good cars, but they hardly compare with the ES prestige, ownership and service experience. Buyers place value on cars by what they are willing to pay for what’s offered or options and perceived ‘status’ the ES rightly fits in with the BMW, Mercedes, Audi Genesis and Acura. I have not found any online sites and/or magazines that compare the ES with the Lacrosse or Taurus except for C&D.

In short Ford and GM can’t jump to the head of the upscale car line because they are building better cars, or because that’s where they perceives those cars belong; quality, reliability, service experience must be earned, by years of quality, reliability and buyer loyalty, resale value AND, wait for it, perceived status, something which is a little hard to quantify, but nevertheless has tremendous value. The ES has earned its rightful place as having the highest sales of any luxury car in its class for years as well as taking the top spots in J.D. Power reliability surveys. In concluding, while the Lacrosse and Taurus are really good cars and their reliability have improved significantly; an accurate comparison should be against the Toyota Avalon.

I’m really not surprised at C&D weak attempt to throw a few crumbs at the ES, but no matter how many times they get confused as where the Lacrosse and Taurus belong, the market won’t make the same mistake. I hope the folks at Lexus are tuning in to what GM, Ford and its mouthpiece, C&D, are up to, in short, continue to innovate and listen to customer feedback...
Old 06-12-10, 05:09 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GM has done a good job of reducing their fat portfolio of layers of divisions and markets, by getting ride of Saturn, Pontiac, and Olds.... but there are still four division of GMAC (trucks), Cadillac, Buick, and Chevy (Chevrolet). If we put Cadillac as the "Tier1" luxury name, Chevy as the low end (wow, the Corvette is a Chevy isn't it?), and GMAC as just trucks, then does Buick really need to exist as a "Tier2" luxury or entry market vehicle? Caddy already is barely a Tier1 (if you consider it Tier1) so is Buick still really then for the "old mans" market? From the 9.1s 0-60 of the base Lacrosse with the I4 engine, it seems so.

Auto magazines, bar none, have always had a hate/hate-more relationship to Lexus. Maybe it's because their Japanese, they can't get rid of the '70's economy vehicle image, or they just don't want to believe that the Japanese are still making very good vehicles, while GM/Ford have wandered and just recently gotten back on track.

Lexus is made, good or bad, for the Olds/Buick customers that left in the 80's becaues of the junks that were spit out by GM. Lexus does not pretend to be BMW or MB. It just makes very good vehicles that give very good comfortable rides.

I stopped reading those magazines years ago and from these recent posts... it doesn't look like I'll be reading them any time soon either.
Old 06-12-10, 06:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The ES usually doesn't fare too well in reviews from enthusiast publications but on the other hand it does well with consumer oriented press. I think it's just the nature of the car and it's target buyers.

As long as there is an ES, IMO there is no escaping the Camry association - For good or bad.

Sales of the ES350 are back up to 5k per month which means the 2010 refresh and improving economy are helping. Whether that holds up or not only time will tell.

I haven't seen any other direct comparisions with the LaCrosse either, but in just about every LaCrosse review I've seen, there are frequent references to the ES on this or that point or feature. I guess there is no escaping it.

As far as ES350 reviews in the enthusiast press go, I thought the one in C&D wasn't bad at all, but beauty is the the eye of the beholder. I'm on my 2nd ES350 ('07 & '10) so am a satisfied customer.
Old 06-13-10, 12:46 AM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The ES usually doesn't fare too well in reviews from enthusiast publications but on the other hand it does well with consumer oriented press. I think it's just the nature of the car and it's target buyers.

As long as there is an ES, IMO there is no escaping the Camry association - For good or bad.

Sales of the ES350 are back up to 5k per month which means the 2010 refresh and improving economy are helping. Whether that holds up or not only time will tell.

I haven't seen any other direct comparisions with the LaCrosse either, but in just about every LaCrosse review I've seen, there are frequent references to the ES on this or that point or feature. I guess there is no escaping it.

As far as ES350 reviews in the enthusiast press go, I thought the one in C&D wasn't bad at all, but beauty is the the eye of the beholder. I'm on my 2nd ES350 ('07 & '10) so am a satisfied customer.

Good Point!!...
Old 06-13-10, 02:01 AM
Wasp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
I picked up the July issue of Car and Driver (C&D) and I can say without reservation that I remain unimpressed with the magazine in its critique of anything Lexus. Below are a few of my observations of what C&D is really attempting to do:

Firstly, the Lexus ES is an established upscale midsized car with a proven track record. C&D cannot ‘leap frog’ the competition ahead of Lexus or specifically ‘ride the coat tails’ of Lexus into the luxury category. It has to be earned.

Pay any visit to US News Auto Ranking and Reviews or J.D. Power and you will not find the Ford Taurus or Buick Lacrosse, compared with the ES. The ES is rightfully compared against the G37, BMW 3, Mercedes C, Audi A4, Acura TL, and Genesis. The only two American cars that can claim luxury status is the redesigned Lincoln MKZ and the Cadillac CTS and they do qualify as being upscale. Actually the BMW 3 series and maybe Mercedes C should really be compared with the IS, but that’s for another story in a different forum.

C&D blushes that the ES is a ‘rebadged’ Camry, a tired argument that lost legs long ago. C&D also mentions that the ES’s diminutive size predictably impinges on rear seat-space. Wow, what a revelation, if you compare the ES to the bulky and oversized Taurus or Lacrosse. These cars are big, and should be compared against the Toyota Avalon which is rated #1 by US News Rankings. I looked at the Avalon and it’s a very good car, but my family has downsized so I don’t need to get around town in big car. Having said that, the ES still offers very generous room and space for its class.

C&D also takes a swipe at the ride quality of the ES describing it’s handling as “subbasement”, whatever that means; I have long said that if you want a car where you can slip around a corner at 40-50 mph, then the ES is not for you, try a BMW or G37. However, if you want a car with a super smooth silky ride, insulated from the outside world, while being pampered with the trappings of luxury at a decent price, then the ES is your ride hands down.

A few good things were mentioned about the ES, speed and fit and finish, but C&D comparison of the ES handling as being subpar is dishonest, cars as heavy as the Lacrosse and Taurus will naturally ride heavy, furthermore a tight suspension almost always results in a ‘bumpy’ ride. The ES is light and has ‘stealth’ like ride. The ES wanders?? Umm, I wonder what car C&D drove. I have never had any problems keeping the ES on track even when going over bumps.

Take fit, finish and quality of materials of my wife’s 05 ES 330 and it would still be better than the 2010 Lacrosse and Taurus. I know what I’m talking about here. Let’s get real, by comparing the ES with the Lacrosse and Taurus, C&D wants buyers to think that these cars are upscale and are therefore in the same class, that’s a joke, don’t get me wrong they are good cars, but they hardly compare with the ES prestige, ownership and service experience. Buyers place value on cars by what they are willing to pay for what’s offered or options and perceived ‘status’ the ES rightly fits in with the BMW, Mercedes, Audi Genesis and Acura. I have not found any online sites and/or magazines that compare the ES with the Lacrosse or Taurus except for C&D.

In short Ford and GM can’t jump to the head of the upscale car line because they are building better cars, or because that’s where they perceives those cars belong; quality, reliability, service experience must be earned, by years of quality, reliability and buyer loyalty, resale value AND, wait for it, perceived status, something which is a little hard to quantify, but nevertheless has tremendous value. The ES has earned its rightful place as having the highest sales of any luxury car in its class for years as well as taking the top spots in J.D. Power reliability surveys. In concluding, while the Lacrosse and Taurus are really good cars and their reliability have improved significantly; an accurate comparison should be against the Toyota Avalon.

I’m really not surprised at C&D weak attempt to throw a few crumbs at the ES, but no matter how many times they get confused as where the Lacrosse and Taurus belong, the market won’t make the same mistake. I hope the folks at Lexus are tuning in to what GM, Ford and its mouthpiece, C&D, are up to, in short, continue to innovate and listen to customer feedback...
The ES competes with the Lacrosse, Avalon, Tauras, Genesis and even the DTS. There is no way in the world the ES competes with anything BMW/Merc or Audi.

As for the comment that the ES is a rebadged Camry. Yes it is.

Whereas the ES330 was far ahead of the competition, the ES350 took a step back in quality and prestige. As it stepped back, the competition caught up.

And for the money, the Avalon is a much nicer, bigger and better car than the ES. The ES is a good car, but just not as good as it once was.

Last edited by Wasp; 06-13-10 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-13-10, 05:33 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

On recent TV ads Buick compares itself to a 2009 ES not the new model. Hmmmmm..........
Old 06-13-10, 03:51 PM
c6vert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting, but,

we traded my wifes' 2007 MKZ, fully optioned, for a 2010 ES 350 at the end of April. I can tell you from personal experience, the ES is definitely much better in all categories than the MKZ. One intangible that they fail to address is the dealer service end of ownership. We had an intermittent problem with the MKZ that required a total of 5 trips to the dealership. That is not what upset me. No, the thing that really torqued me over was the fact they didn't give us a loaner! The 5th time the problem occurred, I called Lincoln Customer Service and demanded a loaner. They got us one and managed to fix the car after 5 days. The Lexus dealer has done everything but deliver dinner to our home since we purchased the car. And, that is what I expect when I spend this amount of money on a vehicle. Otherwise, I would just buy a Fusion or Corolla! BTW, no way would I buy a government motors car until the loans are paid back. I won't be holding my breath on that.
Old 06-13-10, 04:36 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2

I just bought a new 2010 yesterday. I debated between it and a Cad CTS. They have 2k rebate and good pricing but I think the ES rode better and will have great resale. I love it
Old 06-13-10, 11:30 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

Default C&d

I subscribe to pretty much all major car magazines, except C&D which I canceled because I can no longer stand their hatred against Japanese automakers.

I can understand C&D is probably trying to help U.S. automakers. But despite how much I love my own country, I want to see real, unbiased reviews and comparisons.
Old 06-14-10, 10:45 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rikkus256
I subscribe to pretty much all major car magazines, except C&D which I canceled because I can no longer stand their hatred against Japanese automakers.

I can understand C&D is probably trying to help U.S. automakers. But despite how much I love my own country, I want to see real, unbiased reviews and comparisons.
I couldn't agree with you more. I'm from Michigan and I would not want to see the auto industry there or anywhere else fail, but fairness should be the standard and I don't see that coming from C&D. ....
Old 06-14-10, 11:36 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

gotta love biased journalism...
i dont pay attention to automotive media these days. I drive what i want to drive and F what anyone else says.
I love my ES. it does everything i need it to do and more, and it does it very well.
Old 06-15-10, 06:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Thinking about the C&D comparo. The order of finish by manufacturer was:
1. Korea
2. Japan
3. U.S.
4. U.S

Looking at their 2010 Top 10 Cars, 4 of the 10 were Japanese and IIRC 2 were U.S. brands.

Not sure where all of the bias is.
Old 06-17-10, 10:20 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Regardless of what the magazines say, Buick clearly had the ES350 in its sights when it designed the new Lacrosse. Without question, the ES is the Lacrosse's primary competitor.
Old 06-18-10, 05:46 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Truth in advertising

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Regardless of what the magazines say, Buick clearly had the ES350 in its sights when it designed the new Lacrosse. Without question, the ES is the Lacrosse's primary competitor.
That goes without saying. Just look at every single advertising by Buick, it's always quoting the ES or showing the ES. The Lacross exterior could pass for a 2013 ES.

I guess when you're chasing someone, you always have to let it be known what exactly you're chasing. I don't remember a Lexus commerical where they had to quote another vehicle to let you know who they were after. It's always been "this is what I got" kind of commercials.

Example, ISF, it's squarely up against the M3 and C6x, but I don't remember seeing any commercials going "hey, we beat the M3 or we're better than the M3, we're gonna beat the M3, etc."

If you got something good, just bring it on. Show it, don't talk about it. Talk is cheap, you got the good?
Old 06-18-10, 06:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

To date the LaCrosse has ben a big success for GM. After looking closely at it while shopping for my ES I pretty much agree with the pros and cons in the C&D article.

In May it sold about the same as the ES, about 5k for the month. Keep in mind though that the LaCrosse offers 3 trim levels, 3 engine choices (for now) and 2 drivetrains (FWD & AWD), and the ES comes in only 2 versions.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Review of ES, Observations