ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 12:15 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
Even more so when one attempts to compare a luxury car against a non-luxury SUV like the Envoy. In any case--if people are gonna argue that comparing a car to an SUV is fair game...then why don't they compare the ES 350 against a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and see if the ES can out-handle it?
I think GM would argue that the Envoy is luxury. Hence the Trailblazer existing for the not so luxurious buyers.

I'd love it if the ES could handle as well as a Porsche Cayenne. Hell, the Cayenne prolly outhandles a GS, Lexus' "sporty" sedan. But, well, that's why Porsche is so revered.
Old 11-18-08, 08:36 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've always had nimble handlings Subaru Legacies since I began to drive. I drove our ES350 loaner and I really enjoyed it. Im not sure why people give it such a bad rap. The only thing I longed for was a 6MT in my right hand.
Old 11-24-08, 09:06 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by codex57
I think GM would argue that the Envoy is luxury. Hence the Trailblazer existing for the not so luxurious buyers.
I'm getting off-topic here, but to counter your point...that's like saying the GMC Yukon is GM's "luxury" SUV when compared to the Chevy Tahoe. Now perhaps GM does market the GMC brand as a luxury nameplate compared to Chevrolet...but from a practical standpoint, there is no way I'd ever view the Envoy as a luxury mid-sized SUV, as it's not in the same league (within GM) as the Cadillac SRX or the Buick Enclave (see below).

Besides--both the Envoy and Trailblazer offer similar standard and optional features...and it is possible to fully-equip a Trailblazer in LTZ trim such that it appears more luxurious than a plain-jane Envoy.

P.S.--actually, the Envoy Denali would be the luxury mid-sized GM SUV within the GMC line...the Envoy is the blue-collar trim.
Old 11-24-08, 10:30 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently on two separate occasions I drove ES350 and RX350 loaners. If you want to feel good about your ES350 handling and steering, you have to drive RX350. Unless there was something wrong with RX loaner, its steering was so loose that I actually felt unsafe driving on multilane Parkway where you have to watch out for idiots crossing the line. Without a doubt, GS will give you more control, but even I can’t keep up with 3/5 series BMW at 55mph turns and have to slow down to 40-45mph.

Off-topic, that '08 (maybe even '09?) ES350 loaner still had pretty bad wind noise and looking in the side view mirror I saw driver and rear passenger doors not being aligned. Since I drove car during the day, can't comment on tranny flare
Old 04-20-22, 10:37 PM
Grateful1
Driver School Candidate

Default Addressing excessive body roll

I know this thread is from long ago,but it still applies today. I'm an old school guy that used to improve handling in American cars by bolting on larger diameter sway bars. The stabilizer bar diameters in front and rear were typically smaller diameter or non existent and increasing the diameter and using polyurethane bushing greatly reduced body roll and handling. I know my ES350 is not a high performance care, but this same technique would work here as well. I don't want to modify the car for autocross, I just want to slightly increase both stabilizer bars slightly to reduce body roll. Sway bar were a big bang for the buck, relatively inexpensive and easy to install and it did not change the ride, like increasing the spring rate. There must be larger stabilizer bars on newer models that will fit my car. I just want to minimize the body roll. The car is great and could be even better with this small improvement. I know that if I could make a bar a few mm larger in diameter, it would flex less in turns and the body would roll less and it would not change the ride much. No one does this because if they want better handling they just move to a high performance car. I love my car. I just would like to stabilize the car by keeping it flat in hard turns.
The following users liked this post:
smoothES (03-11-23)
Old 04-21-22, 03:30 PM
sub786sub
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I have two Mercedes 2018 GLE 350, GLA 2021, and Lexus ES 350 2010. Among all those rides my old Lexus ride is far superior and luxurious.
Old 04-22-22, 05:00 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Several folks here have installed sway bars and other suspension parts meant for the Camry of the same generation. I think Eibach made a lowering kit with springs and struts etc. TRD has or had a rear sway bar for the Camry that bolts on as others wrote about. Ultra Racing made a rear sway bar that you can still find on eBay sometimes. Search Camry and you may learn more. Or go to the ToyotaNation forum and try some searches
https://www.toyotanation.com/forums/...ara-04-08.104/
Old 03-11-23, 12:45 AM
smoothES
1st Gear

Hi there, did you ever end up modifying your ES? I desperately want to make my car less boring, I got a fantastic deal on it and refuse to sell it.
Old 03-11-23, 05:07 AM
Grateful1
Driver School Candidate

Default All factory stock

Originally Posted by smoothES
Hi there, did you ever end up modifying your ES? I desperately want to make my car less boring, I got a fantastic deal on it and refuse to sell it.
I have 324,000 original miles on the original engine and the car still drives like new. I didn't want to make a sports car out of my ES and ruin the ride. I just wanted to reduce body roll using sway bars but people with JAP cars are all thumbs and tend to not be hands on mechanical people telling me to get an IS Lexus.