ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

so i drove an ES for the first time yesterday..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-07, 11:17 AM
soakgame
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i drove an ES for the first time yesterday..

my GS was getting an alignment and new tires.. so they loaned me an ES350 for the day

i decided to take it on the 505 (long straight away highway in nor cal) to see what it can do.. i take it past 135 (almost 140 and the computer kicks in and stops you from going any faster).. that was fun! funny thing is the car is just as smooth going 140 as it is going 70
Old 10-29-07, 11:39 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

very interesting, I would not trust a rental/loaner at those speeds, I will agree the ES feels like it's on clouds at those speeds
Old 10-30-07, 09:39 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

soakgame, your bravado brands you as one who has a total disregard for the safety of others as well as yourself.

Not only did you endanger others on the road, you committed a willful act of breaking the law by driving at such excessive speeds.

I think you were also stupid to do so in a loaner car whose overall condition is suspect. Anyone who would trust a loaner car tires for high speed testing at short distances must be operating without a full deck.

Drivers like you are a menace. If you want to drive at 100+, go to a test track where the only one put in danger is yourself.
Old 10-30-07, 09:57 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

...strong remarks from carbuff there. i personally dont have the guts to do it in my own cars, but props to you i guess.

i have seen youtube videos that show people going past 130 and the orange triangle blinks and the screen in between the two gauges says something like "warning, excessive speeds" or something. lol. its pretty cool how it says that.
Old 10-30-07, 01:09 PM
soakgame
Lead Lap

carbuff.. i understand what you are saying

but this was around midnight.. with no cars around in sight.. and no exits on the highway for miles at a time.. i would not put others in danger like that.. yes i'm young and a risk taker.. but i'm not stupid
Old 10-30-07, 02:56 PM
rajwany
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soakgame

but this was around midnight.. with no cars around in sight.. and no exits on the highway for miles at a time.. i would not put others in danger like that.. yes i'm young and a risk taker.. but i'm not stupid

way to go. kudos to u.....some people have it others dont , u my boy have IT
Old 10-30-07, 04:42 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soakgame

Going 140MPH on public roads is stupid no matter how you rationalize it.
Old 10-30-07, 08:24 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

geez carbuff... for a guy who built and raced hot rods in the 40's you sure are against driving fast.... i understand your point but if there is an open stretch of straight road for miles.... i say conquer it! straight roads are all the ES is good on sadly... cause the handling is pretty bad.....

yes yes.. ES is a luxury sedan not meant for those things... well thats all i got to say
Old 10-31-07, 03:40 AM
carbuff
Driver

Oh, I see . . . discounting injury or death as a result of any unseen car ahead that might be disabled blocking the road, it is perfectly acceptable to choose which laws to obey and which laws to ignore.

Or, regardless that legal speed limits exist, one might simply decide not to act in accordance with them if for the pleasure of a moments thrill, one simply ignores them.

This mindset is prevalent today in our society and I believe, a root cause for many of the problems degenerating our country.

Regarding my driving history . . . yes, I am one of those who in my youth challenged many a curve or straight-a-way at high speeds. I learned at painful cost, that in a flicker of time, life can be lost because of the unexpected.

Maturity can evolve in a flicker in time. I only hope that for the safety of those who chance fate by abandoning common sense on the highways never have to taste the bitterness and sorrow for a single moment's bad driving judgment.

Last edited by carbuff; 10-31-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 05:39 AM
iDrive
Rookie

I'll just put the safety issue aside for now and just say yes, the car does ride excellent and doesn't even feel like your going 100+ when you are. *Ahem, not that I would know
Old 10-31-07, 05:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ng123ray
geez carbuff... for a guy who built and raced hot rods in the 40's you sure are against driving fast.... i understand your point but if there is an open stretch of straight road for miles.... i say conquer it! straight roads are all the ES is good on sadly... cause the handling is pretty bad..... yes yes.. ES is a luxury sedan not meant for those things... well thats all i got to say
Another GOOD reason for not going 140 in an ES, or any other car, on a public highway.
Old 10-31-07, 08:53 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Default Experience is a great educator

Originally Posted by carbuff
Oh, I see . . . discounting injury or death as a result of any unseen car ahead that might be disabled blocking the road, it is perfectly acceptable to choose which laws to obey and which laws to ignore.

Or, regardless that legal speed limits exist, one might simply decide not to act in accordance with them if for the pleasure of a moments thrill, one simply ignores them.

This mindset is prevalent today in our society and I believe, a root cause for many of the problems degenerating our country.

Regarding my driving history . . . yes, I am one of those who in my youth challenged many a curve or straight-a-way at high speeds. I learned at painful cost, that in a flicker of time, life can be lost because of the unexpected.

Maturity can evolve in a flicker in time. I only hope that for the safety of those who chance fate by abandoning common sense on the highways never have to taste the bitterness and sorrow for a single moment's bad driving judgment.
Carbuff;

This and your earlier post are right on and well said.

Yes, there are some who will disagree or mock, but hopefully it may cause them to think twice when tempted to transgress. If they are smart they may recognize the credibility of maturity and painfull experience.

Sadly, if you think the this is an isolated incident, surf the IS second generation forum where the cohort is much younger, to see how irresponsible road behavior is celebrated. Your insightful comments, while maybe not welcomed there, may give some of those youthful drivers pause for second thought.

Keep up the thoughtful comments.

Ex ES 350 owner, now happy IS350 owner. (65 years old)
Old 10-31-07, 09:42 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it odd that the poster justified the 'safety' of the high speed by explaining it was done in the dark, when you overdrive even the best HID lights.
Old 11-02-07, 12:08 PM
carbuff
Driver

Apropos to this thread, I found the following news article on the KFYI-AM, Phoenix website:

"A man is arrested at his job for speeding on the Loop 101.

On September 29, 2007, Loop 101 photo radar cameras clocked Julius Rene Paet Malantangay, 36, of Mesa going 107 miles per hour at 2:10am. Minutes later, his speed was captured at 131 mph heading southbound on the Loop 101 at Raintree. The posted speed limit is 65 mph.

Since the man has out-of-state license plates, it took Department of Public Safety Officers a few weeks to find him. He was arrested at his job on October 31st and booked into the Scottsdale City Jail and was released on his own recognizance.

At the time, Malantangay was driving a 2001 BMW M3. He faces up to six months in jail, $2,500 in fines and three years probation."

I wonder if Mr. Malatangay now thinks his few moments of fun was worth the price he might just have to pay?

Fortunately, no one was injured during this joy ride; not even the driver.

Sorry friends for beating a dead dog to death. But, this subject is to important to be dismissed without some serious and mature reflection by all.
Old 11-02-07, 12:28 PM
AccElan01
Rookie

I may have to try this myself...

Quick Reply: so i drove an ES for the first time yesterday..