ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Inside temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-07, 05:56 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

real or imaginary, there is benefit.

where do i get my snake oil and how much are the shares? That bridge is an antique now, isn't it!
Old 04-09-07, 08:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
WHAT???

You want an "inside" temperature read out? Have you ever heard of a little something they call "climate control?" It's pretty simple really, just set it and forget it.

Dual zone foolishness is just that. A pure, unadulterated psychological gimmick only relevant to those who consume snake oil as a cure for cancer. You have an interior space about the size of a small closet and the gullible among us actually believe that you can heat or cool one side diffrerentially over the other for more than about 2 seconds?

For those so inclined I have shares in a very lovely bridge going to Brooklyn that I'd like to talk to you about buying.

;-)
Our previous car had dual climate controls similar to the Lexus. Out of habit I always set both sides at the same temp and things are fine for driver and passengers. If a car has a good HVAC system, one control is fine by me.
Old 04-09-07, 06:20 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dual zone foolishness is just that. A pure, unadulterated psychological gimmick only relevant to those who consume snake oil as a cure for cancer. You have an interior space about the size of a small closet and the gullible among us actually believe that you can heat or cool one side diffrerentially over the other for more than about 2 seconds?
Just for fun, today I decided to carry out an experiment with this here 'Dual zone temperamature-thingie'.

Since day one I had both temps set to 23C and then a few weeks ago changed that to 21C.

My first experiment was to pretend my front passenger was a hot-blooded young chick who couldn't live at temps below 27C. So driver's side was set to 21C and passenger side to 27C. Outside temp was -2C.

Well wouldn't you know it! Within less than one minute I was already starting to heat up! No, not because I was fantasizing about this chick next to me, but because MY side of the car was heating up beyond the 21C setting!
That's right, you read it first here. The air will actually merge within the vehicle so that you end up with something like an average of the two sides, as weird as that may sound!

For my next experiment I pretended I was sitting next to a cold fish! I set the passenger side for 18C. Well wouldn't you know it! Within less than a couple of minutes I started to feel cold on my right side (particularly my thigh).

Conclusion, PsychDoc is right!
Old 04-09-07, 07:40 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Just for fun, today I decided to carry out an experiment with this here 'Dual zone temperamature-thingie'.

Since day one I had both temps set to 23C and then a few weeks ago changed that to 21C.

My first experiment was to pretend my front passenger was a hot-blooded young chick who couldn't live at temps below 27C. So driver's side was set to 21C and passenger side to 27C. Outside temp was -2C.

Well wouldn't you know it! Within less than one minute I was already starting to heat up! No, not because I was fantasizing about this chick next to me, but because MY side of the car was heating up beyond the 21C setting!
That's right, you read it first here. The air will actually merge within the vehicle so that you end up with something like an average of the two sides, as weird as that may sound!

For my next experiment I pretended I was sitting next to a cold fish! I set the passenger side for 18C. Well wouldn't you know it! Within less than a couple of minutes I started to feel cold on my right side (particularly my thigh).

Conclusion, PsychDoc is right!
Funny thing about meaningless gimmicks. If one guy has it, you have to have it or you're considered antiquated. Dual zone climate control, keyless start, "ventilated" seats (don't get me wrong, I love the heated part, but the "ventilation" is a complete and utter joke), swivelling headlights (yes, cool to watch on a dark night but really folks, does it really do a damn thing?....in a word, no), voice control (this is my favorite.....totally beyond useless....a toy at best and not a very good one at that), etc, ad nauseum.

Now I have a question. How many of you would accept a car without these meaningless gizmos if they used the money to design a vehicle with a more responsive transmission, more communicative steering and better driving dynamics?

Hmmm
Old 04-10-07, 03:11 AM
static
Driver

The air will actually merge within the vehicle so that you end up with something like an average of the two sides, as weird as that may sound!
This is not surprising at all. If you have the climate control set to auto or manually set so the fans at your feet are on and it will maintain separation longer. If you have the upper fans on, it will merge quicker. There is no disputing that the car will naturally try to mix the air.
Old 04-10-07, 05:32 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by static
This is not surprising at all. If you have the climate control set to auto or manually set so the fans at your feet are on and it will maintain separation longer. If you have the upper fans on, it will merge quicker. There is no disputing that the car will naturally try to mix the air.
WRONG!!!

The "car" (as you so quaintly put it) has nothing whatsoever to do with this. It's a little concept borrowed from biology/chemistry.

Osmosis, to be specific.
Old 04-10-07, 05:46 AM
static
Driver

OK, poor selection of words on my part... the air inside the car will naturally try to mix.
Old 04-10-07, 06:33 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by static
OK, poor selection of words on my part... the air inside the car will naturally try to mix.
And indeed will be successful.

That's why the very concept of "dual climate control" in such a small space tests the limits of absurdity.
Old 04-10-07, 07:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

And indeed will be successful.

That's why the very concept of "dual climate control" in such a small space tests the limits of absurdity.
How about a "triple climate control" for cars with bench seats in front??

Last edited by LexBob2; 04-10-07 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-11-07, 04:17 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

I wonder how much of it is psychological and how much is real?

Has anyone studied physics and determined how much of a temperature difference is possible in such a small area? Has anyone taken a thermometer to confirm the readings?

And why hasn't Lexus implemented climate control for the back passangers, are they second class citizens? Or would that be too complicated to implement?
In the case of the ES 350, probably a combination of cost (can't have the ES be priced "too" high... ) and that it has a relatively small cabin compared to say, a full-sized SUV...of which there are quite a few of those that offer tri-zone climate control.

As far as wanting to know the inside temperature--well w/ my infrared thermometer I can tell you that, w/ the car sitting out in the hot summer sun w/ tinted windows rolled up, the cabin can reach temps upwards of 130* F...and by using the same infrared thermometer, I can see that the A/C is blowing 50*-ish F air w/ ambient temps in the 70's...
Old 04-11-07, 09:50 PM
NoiseFree
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by toneman
In the case of the ES 350, probably a combination of cost (can't have the ES be priced "too" high... ) and that it has a relatively small cabin ...
OK that makes sense.

As far as wanting to know the inside temperature--well w/ my infrared thermometer I can tell you that, w/ the car sitting out in the hot summer sun w/ tinted windows rolled up, the cabin can reach temps upwards of 130* F...and by using the same infrared thermometer, I can see that the A/C is blowing 50*-ish F air w/ ambient temps in the 70's...
Thanks for the real-life measurements!

One thing I learned the other day when I was playing with the dual temps is that 18C is just about as low as it goes. After that the LCD just says "LO"!
Next time I'll fool around with the other extreme and see if it says "HIGH".