ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Bumper cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 02:40 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bumper cars

Last Monday I'm stopped in a line of cars pointing up a fairly steep hill leading to an intersection. The Subaru Outback that's about ten feet in front of me starts rolling backwards.

This happens sometimes so I'm not too alarmed. But the car keeps rolling backwards. So I lay on my horn. The car keeps rolling backwards. I look behind me and to either side and there is no escape. The car continues rolling back until it hits my front bumper.

So I immediately get out as does the other guy, who's very stressed out. "Hey, you want to move your car forward out of mine?" I suggest, as my car is the only thing keeping his car on the hill. So he gets back in and moves forward a couple of feet. Then he gets back out, very stressed out and apologetic. Turns out he was dealing with his crying son in the backseat and didn't realize his car was moving.

There were cracks in my paint and he gave me his business card and I took the car to the dealer here. I just got it back, $305 later and my bumper has been repaired and repainted and looks as good as new. They did a very good job.

The flustered dad paid for the repair and gave me a bit extra for a meal for the trouble he caused. No angry words, no insurance involvement, just a friendly accident between two (friendly) people who take care of it and go their separate ways without any ugliness whatsoever.

I wish all my dealings with people were this easy.
Old 02-21-07, 03:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Dreyfus, I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear that things worked out well. It's good things were resolved quickly and without any traumatic incidents...
Old 02-21-07, 03:55 PM
sarge43
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the way things ought to be. People taking responsibility for their actions and honoring their word. Good to hear the damage was fixed without incident.
Old 02-22-07, 06:31 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow dreyfus, good to hear you got the situation handled straight. I remember a few years back when my father's 740iL got hit slightly hit in the back by an Excursion. They both pulled over, and the Excursion driver was very apologetic and offered to pay $2,000 in cash for the bumper damage done on the Bimmer. We knew it was not enough to cover it, so the driver recommended us to a body shop specialized in repairing BMWs. In return, he asked us to foot the bill to him, and a while later, the car was completely fixed with nothing out of our pocket and no claims to any insurance
Old 02-22-07, 07:13 AM
Swobro
Driver School Candidate

Nicely done by the flustered Dad. It sounded like you were starting to hulk-out but the situation seemed to defuse rather quickly.

If only all of them could be like that.
Old 02-22-07, 10:33 AM
stanturk
10th Gear

Thumbs up Nice to hear

Nice to hear that everyone remembered that we are all in this together.
Old 02-23-07, 08:02 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great story. I had someone back into me - while sitting still and laying on the horn - at Dodger Stadium. He was trying to show his son the fireworks. He did a lot more damage than $300 though. And while he was extremely apologetic, he told the insurance company that I HIT HIM!!!
Old 02-24-07, 04:39 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffofla
What a great story. I had someone back into me - while sitting still and laying on the horn - at Dodger Stadium. He was trying to show his son the fireworks. He did a lot more damage than $300 though. And while he was extremely apologetic, he told the insurance company that I HIT HIM!!!

I had a similar experience in a parking garage, a lady rounded the corner and ran up on me and hit me while I was waiting for a car to back out of a space, she was very nice etc.,....That HO later told her insurance company and mine that I hit her!!!!

Glad you had a great experience dreyfus.
Old 02-27-07, 08:55 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad this turned out so well, but I would have never left the scene without a police report. It's both remarkable and scary how seemingly "nice" people turn into liars later on when they know they're not on the hook anymore.

It gives me some restored faith that the guy that hit you stepped up to the plate without being forced to. I would bet that most people would have acted like they had no idea who you were when you called for payment, though.