ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help b2799 code. where is transponder key?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 07:54 PM
skeeter55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help b2799 code. where is transponder key?

Hi. I have es330, 2006. Received a b2799 code today. there is no starting problems that exist. this came about a week after taking to dealer to have timing chain and water pump. they weren't needed just maintenance.

Anyway engine light comes on and throws the code. i also am hearing a chattering, clicking, sound behind the instrument panel, more to the left side of the instrument panel.

Is that were the transponder key is for the car? What direction should I take. Long shot but could coolant got down into the wire harness when the water pump came off and is now creating communication sound with the transponder key/ receiver.

i have searched the internet endlessly and don't know if the transponder receiver is located behind instrument panel or is it part of the ecu by the under hood some where by fuse box.

It appears most owners of lexus don't work on their own cars very much as they do with my dodge caravan which has tons of information on it which i have used in past.
Old 10-13-16, 09:11 AM
skeeter55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the source of the clicking sound behind instrument panel. It was the a/c door actuator. i put my hand on it and found the vibration sound. tried to pull the plug on it in the hope it would reset itself and get rid of sound.
Hopefully that is why I got code B2799. I started the car about 8 or 9 times since the event. i guess another 10 starts or so and the computer will have went it's cycle to determine if the problem exists as represented by b2799.
I couldn't get the plug out. it's so small and have to contorque body into such a small place. I will try later with long nose, as i push in the release clip to actuator.

I remember about 6 mths ago on my caravan that i got two codes at same time just as I did this time. one was an emissions leak and the other 2799 code. (hopefully the gas cap was the reason for the other code small leak in emissions.
i took off and put back on. the o ring, looked good. hopefully the computer misread info. as did the caravan, in which both codes went away.
Old 11-27-18, 12:59 PM
MNEWGEN
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skeeter55
Hi. I have es330, 2006. Received a b2799 code today. there is no starting problems that exist. this came about a week after taking to dealer to have timing chain and water pump. they weren't needed just maintenance.

Anyway engine light comes on and throws the code. i also am hearing a chattering, clicking, sound behind the instrument panel, more to the left side of the instrument panel.

Is that were the transponder key is for the car? What direction should I take. Long shot but could coolant got down into the wire harness when the water pump came off and is now creating communication sound with the transponder key/ receiver.

i have searched the internet endlessly and don't know if the transponder receiver is located behind instrument panel or is it part of the ecu by the under hood some where by fuse box.

It appears most owners of lexus don't work on their own cars very much as they do with my dodge caravan which has tons of information on it which i have used in past.
Did you ever get this fixed? I've been having the same issue with B2799 code on my 2011 IS350 after dropping it off for a Fuel Delivery Pipe Gasket recall... If you had it fixed, what was done?

I did a ton of research and it appears, dash needs to be pulled, replace ID code box, certification ecu and maybe key transponder, main ecu and steering column ecu?

Here's my original post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...won-t-run.html