ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES 330 wouldn't engage reverse (one time)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 03:16 PM
Jim2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 330 wouldn't engage reverse (one time)

Hi all, I'm new here.

I joined because my Mom has a 2004 ES-330 and, just the other night, it wouldn't go into reverse for a little while... So I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had intermittent issues with the transmission.

Mom bought the car about five years ago, and it's been great! Mom loves it.. It has about 205,000 miles on it now, and it still runs fine. I was just back for a visit two weeks ago, and it drove just as smooth as I ever remember it.

But just the other night, it wouldn't go into reverse... After a little while, it worked fine again and the problem hasn't come back since.

Mom took it to Lexus, but they didn't find any codes. They said that the trans fluid level was slightly high, but that it shouldn't be a big deal..

So I searched around here and on google, but I didn't find anything that addresses this particular situation.

The way it only happened once, makes me think it's an electrical issue... or a linkage issue... but I'm assuming that the trans is electronically controlled on these cars..? Mom is 85 now, so I guess "operator error" is a slim possibility, but, I highly doubt that. Mom is still pretty sharp, and she's very familiar with the car after putting 100K on it herself.. The way she told me the story, it sounds like she put it in reverse and it basically acted like it was in neutral..

Could this be as simple as a bad wire somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have,

Jim

Name:  IMG_0103.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  101.2 KB
Old 11-28-15, 05:59 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you check the transmission fluid ?
Old 11-28-15, 06:59 PM
Jim2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fritz330
Did you check the transmission fluid ?
At the Lexus dealership, they said the fluid level was "slightly high".. but "it shouldn't be a problem".
Old 11-28-15, 09:59 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

With no disrespect, I would not entirely discount "operator error."

I have a European spouse who did not start driving until 10 or 11 years ago on immigrating as an adult in her 20s. On two occasions in the last year, and more in the past, I've had to go retrieve a vehicle she said she could not operate (including the 2002 ES300 on one occasion) safely/was unable to drive. There were on each occasion minor mechanical things starting to go wrong (a slightly sticky throttle cable on my SUV on one occasion;,an alternator bearing making a bad noise on the ES was another) that were indeed true. But nothing that rendered the car "inoperable" as she insisted or would have stalled/stopped/etc. it as she said happened. She is a nervous and inexperienced driver and I accept that as just a fact and appreciate the attitude of over-caution vs. ignoring a real issue and thoroughly trashing something. This is a smart, capable, but automotively ignorant and inexperienced, person in their 30s.

I am familiar personally and professionally with the changes of aging; and perhaps it was indeed just a "senior moment" and nothing else. Diagnostically, I would have to put the chances of that as reasonably high.

OTOH, it could have happened. Maybe a solenoid was a little sticky for a moment. Perhaps adding some Lubeguard Red and/or some SeaFoam/Transtune (identical stuff with color added so use either) will clean it up and prevent it. I have had good success with both in higher-mileage transmissions the previously did not get rigorous fluid changes. Also, has the fluid been at least drain/filled in the last 50k if not fully changed? Ours has even higher mileage (249k now) and runs beautifully with regular drain/fills with Valvoline MaxLife synthetic.

And thanks for the pic; adds a more human dimension to the people you are talking to and fun to see!
Old 11-29-15, 12:13 PM
Jim2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
With no disrespect, I would not entirely discount "operator error."

I have a European spouse who did not start driving until 10 or 11 years ago on immigrating as an adult in her 20s. On two occasions in the last year, and more in the past, I've had to go retrieve a vehicle she said she could not operate (including the 2002 ES300 on one occasion) safely/was unable to drive. There were on each occasion minor mechanical things starting to go wrong (a slightly sticky throttle cable on my SUV on one occasion;,an alternator bearing making a bad noise on the ES was another) that were indeed true. But nothing that rendered the car "inoperable" as she insisted or would have stalled/stopped/etc. it as she said happened. She is a nervous and inexperienced driver and I accept that as just a fact and appreciate the attitude of over-caution vs. ignoring a real issue and thoroughly trashing something. This is a smart, capable, but automotively ignorant and inexperienced, person in their 30s.

I am familiar personally and professionally with the changes of aging; and perhaps it was indeed just a "senior moment" and nothing else. Diagnostically, I would have to put the chances of that as reasonably high.

OTOH, it could have happened. Maybe a solenoid was a little sticky for a moment. Perhaps adding some Lubeguard Red and/or some SeaFoam/Transtune (identical stuff with color added so use either) will clean it up and prevent it. I have had good success with both in higher-mileage transmissions the previously did not get rigorous fluid changes. Also, has the fluid been at least drain/filled in the last 50k if not fully changed? Ours has even higher mileage (249k now) and runs beautifully with regular drain/fills with Valvoline MaxLife synthetic.

And thanks for the pic; adds a more human dimension to the people you are talking to and fun to see!
Thanks Oro, I appreciate it ...I still want to give my mom the benefit of the doubt about the whole "operator error" thing, but I guess it is slightly possible. If that IS the case, then it's just a "senior moment" as you said. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with being intimidated or clueless about cars. Mom ain't like that...

I didn't ask about the age of the transmission fluid... that's a good point. It might be overdue for a good flush. I guess it can't hurt either way...

Thanks again, cheers,

Jim
Old 12-02-15, 07:53 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Has the pan ever been dropped and fluid and filter replaced? Sounds like the filter is almost plugged up and not providing enough fluid to operate the tranny properly.
Old 12-04-15, 02:29 AM
Jim2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmatheny
Has the pan ever been dropped and fluid and filter replaced? Sounds like the filter is almost plugged up and not providing enough fluid to operate the tranny properly.
Thanks Mike, that sounds like a good first step. ... I just talked to Mom today, the car has been serviced at regular intervals, but It's unclear how long it's been since the filter was changed. Mom wasn't sure, but it sounds like they just "top off the fluids"....

I don't know what the interval is for changing the filter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's overdue.
Old 12-04-15, 08:51 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

I would get it done around every 70k miles. MUCH cheaper than a tranny overhaul!
Old 12-04-15, 02:32 PM
Jim2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mike