ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lexus es300 reliability? Everyone chip in please! (updated with pics of potential ES)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 01:40 PM
envision11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus es300 reliability? Everyone chip in please! (updated with pics of potential ES)

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a used ES300 97-01 model, leaning more towards a 2000 or 2001. I've read good and bad things about these cars. One being the oil sludge problem that concerns me the most. Can everyone please chip in and help me out and give me your honest opinion. Thanks so much!
Old 02-13-11, 02:00 PM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the Club! The ES is a good choice but like when buying any used car you should inspect the car first... how many miles does it have? check the oil and tranny fluid, make sure its not black. look for any visual leaks under the car.... most important you have to take a nice long test ride...at least 30 mins.. listen for any wierd noises(3gen are pretty quite and very smooth)...if you can bring a mechanic with you...if the previous owner took good care of the car you should be golden...overall the 3gen is very reliable with very few problems... see if the person or dealer you're buying from have any service records... and if you're like me when you test drive you'll just Know!
good luck
Old 02-13-11, 02:29 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good and reliable car. The sludge issue isnt that big, as long as you buy one where the owner(s) had the oil changed every 5,000 miles. If you buy one where the history of oil changes is "iffy", then I would keep on looking or you can take it to a mechanic and have them check for sludge or if your mechanically inclined, then you can remove the valve cover yourself and check for sludge. Otherwise, these cars are very reliable and will last you a very long time as long as you take care of doing the regular maintenance on it. Good luck.
Old 02-13-11, 02:43 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Its much preferable to test drive the car from a cold start. Some common problems will not show-up on an initial warm start. Owners know it and try to hide problems by warming up the car prior to showing it to a potential buyer. So if you make an appointment to see the car, insist that the engine be cold.

You should also seriously consider the advise you got from Angmedic91 on removing the front valve cover to check for sludge.

Having said that, they are extremely reliable cars.

Last edited by PFB; 02-13-11 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 04:40 PM
envision11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the warm welcome and for all the advice, I really like these es 300's. I dont have a particular es300 that i'm looking at now, but i'm just trying to find one under 100k miles and make sure it's in great condition. I'm leaning towards a white or silver one. I will look for all the following things all you have mentioned. I really appreciate it.
Old 02-13-11, 05:21 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about those years, but I have a 1995 ES300, known the owner since she bought it in 1997 and it's the best car I've owned. I couldn't ask for much more, honestly, given it's got leather interior, 110k miles, everything works (besides a door handle issue) and as far as how it runs and drives, sooo smooth, especially for a 15 year old car.

I want to keep mine running for as long as possible and I think even without careful love, it would last another 5 years easy.

Wish I could add more than my own personal experience, but as others said, whichever car you pick, just have it checked out and driven. I think all around though, these Lexus' are reliable cars despite certain issues you may come across.
Old 02-13-11, 06:19 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

welcome! ..well i have a 2000 Es300 and i just luv it. It has around 92,000 miles on it. I have never had major issue ..why u ask..well because I have kept and maintained it to the best i can. Oil change, all the filters, the way i drive. Its a special edition too...so i gotta keep it for a loooong time. Only issue i had soo far are minor ..i have had wind noise coming from the drivers side when i drive on hwy.But its minor and i m thinking to replace the rubber lining since these cars have frameless windows. Some cosmetic issue need to be cleaned but other than that no major problems. Its a pleasure to drive i must say. Now i m thinking of have a tint on those windows. I will say get an ES300 with somethings on it..like HID or heated seats or special edition. u will appreciate it. . because the car is very basic so options like those will give the car more look
Old 02-13-11, 06:25 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Where you are shopping for an es300, 110k, it maintined, will be better than 90k. That means the belts would have been changed as well as pumps fluids, and bushings. I have 156k miles on mine, and it runs like a champ. If you test drive a cold one and the transmission seems hesitant, that is normal. It doesn't shift into fourth, it is just warming up, nothing is broken.
Old 02-13-11, 06:32 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Just sold mine with 145K on the meter. Great car.

I now have a 2002. Same thing.
Old 02-13-11, 08:14 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had 3 ES300s:

97 model - 255k before it was totaled out. no problems, just regular maintenance.

00 model - 180k before it was totaled out. no problems, just regular maintenance.

00 model - 130k and still going - no major problems, just maintenance.

Yes I bought the 2000 model twice because I love the body lines that much. These cars are pretty much bulletproof if you do proper maintenance on it. I've never had any problems with them and I've never been stuck on the side of the road. I'm also driving a newer 04 ES330 and the 00 is being handed down. Great, comfortable, and reliable daily drivers. You won't regret buying one.
Old 02-13-11, 08:19 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great cars for the money.
Just regular maintenance and you too can make yours last as long as mine.
Still on original engine and transmission.
Hoping to get her to 400K miles.
Old 02-14-11, 04:41 AM
envision11
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thank's for all the responses. I feel much more comfortable buying an Es300 now. I think it's best to look for a car that had 1 owner. They usually take care of their car much better.
Old 02-14-11, 05:49 AM
envision11
Driver School Candidate

Also, I live in Florida, I was leaning towards getting a car that was Florida driven, so it did not have to deal with cold/snow issues. Am I better off getting a car that was Florida driven. Dosent snow/harsh weather have an effect on the vehicles long term life?
Old 02-14-11, 01:19 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

give us some info about the car ur thinking of buying. Like mileage, year, n most important the price tag and pics if possible.. Maybe we CL members can help u too. and help u in not getting ripped of in anyway.
Old 02-14-11, 02:18 PM
WAES300
Driver

Mine had maintenance records, one owner, bought with 205K miles on it. In the half year or so that I've had it, not a single thing has gone wrong. As solid as much newer cars- chose this over mainly the TL (the one I most strongly considered). No regrets.

Quick Reply: Lexus es300 reliability? Everyone chip in please! (updated with pics of potential ES)