ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

fixed head gasket but still overheats!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-13, 08:57 PM
solidsnaak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed head gasket but still overheats!!

I fixed the head gasket on my 1994 lexus es 300, and it still overheats for some reason. i drove about 2 or 3 miles before it started to get hot and then i decided to head back home where it conveniently died in my drive way. after letting it sit for a few minutes i was able to start it up in 2 tries. the radiator, water pump and thermostat are all new although it's entirely possible one if not all of these things could be failing due to how hot it overheated the night i blew my head gasket. I don't have any leaks, and there's no water in my oil or coming out of my exhaust. i may just sell the car to someone willing to fix it, it's also probably not going to pass smog because of how warped the heads are
Old 10-19-13, 09:17 PM
Titten
Driver

Run a compression test to see if your repair held. Although if you didn't have the heads resurfaced, there's your problem.
Old 10-19-13, 09:31 PM
solidsnaak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Titten
Run a compression test to see if your repair held. Although if you didn't have the heads resurfaced, there's your problem.
Doesn't no water in the oil/coming out the exhaust mean the repair held? And Yes had had the heads resurfaced

Engine also does not run as well, it's a lot louder
Old 10-19-13, 09:52 PM
Titten
Driver

So many ways to screw up a head gasket job, it's impossible to guess what could have been done wrong: used wrong head bolt torque/lube, installed t-stat on wrong, timing could be bad, reused head bolts, vacuum leaks, heads improperly shaved, head gasket laid on wrong, damaged or unplugged sensors... And more I can't think of. Did you check all the fluid levels before running the car? Was an oil change done after only 5 minutes of idling? And to answer your question, no. Coolant not out the tailpipe or into oil does not exclude a blown head gasket. Compression could be going into the radiator, oil to coolant is always possible. Coolant to oil will give you rod knock eventually...
How much were the heads shaved?
Old 10-19-13, 10:25 PM
solidsnaak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Titten
So many ways to screw up a head gasket job, it's impossible to guess what could have been done wrong: used wrong head bolt torque/lube, installed t-stat on wrong, timing could be bad, reused head bolts, vacuum leaks, heads improperly shaved, head gasket laid on wrong, damaged or unplugged sensors... And more I can't think of. Did you check all the fluid levels before running the car? Was an oil change done after only 5 minutes of idling? And to answer your question, no. Coolant not out the tailpipe or into oil does not exclude a blown head gasket. Compression could be going into the radiator, oil to coolant is always possible. Coolant to oil will give you rod knock eventually...
How much were the heads shaved?
the fluids were fine, do you know the factory torque specs for the intake manifold and how to time/tune the engine/belt?