ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-12, 10:06 AM
jcvarner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Power Steering Leak

Hi Guys,

First post. As usual for most posts it is out of necessity. I have a 97' ES300 with 248k. It recently started smoking when I would back up or stop. I took it to the mechanic and he said it looks to be a power steering fluid leak, which I knew was leaking. He initially quoted me $400 for the repair, $200 labor and $200 for the hose. He specified that it is the hose that is leaking and the fluid is then getting on the exhaust and causing the smoke. The next day he called and said the part was actually $400, not $200, so $600 total repair. The car is leaking/burning oil as well so I don't want to spend the $600 on it. He also said that he would NOT let me bring him the part if I could find it for cheaper.

I was wondering how difficult it is to change the hose. I'm not inexperienced on car repair but I'm also not the most experienced.

Is it easy to change? Do I need any special tools? What should I expect to spend on the part? Is $400 ridiculous for the part? I ask this because I looked online for hoses and it seems like they are all under $100, but I might be looking at the wrong parts.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-06-12, 12:09 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcvarner
Hi Guys,

First post. As usual for most posts it is out of necessity. I have a 97' ES300 with 248k. It recently started smoking when I would back up or stop. I took it to the mechanic and he said it looks to be a power steering fluid leak, which I knew was leaking. He initially quoted me $400 for the repair, $200 labor and $200 for the hose. He specified that it is the hose that is leaking and the fluid is then getting on the exhaust and causing the smoke. The next day he called and said the part was actually $400, not $200, so $600 total repair. The car is leaking/burning oil as well so I don't want to spend the $600 on it. He also said that he would NOT let me bring him the part if I could find it for cheaper.

I was wondering how difficult it is to change the hose. I'm not inexperienced on car repair but I'm also not the most experienced.

Is it easy to change? Do I need any special tools? What should I expect to spend on the part? Is $400 ridiculous for the part? I ask this because I looked online for hoses and it seems like they are all under $100, but I might be looking at the wrong parts.

Thanks in advance for your help.
find another mechanic. the hose should be cheap. the labor is what will get you. the power steering is a pain to get to as there is hardly any space to work with. good luck.
Old 12-06-12, 12:15 PM
cmotek24
Driver School Candidate

how much are you losing? I had a small leak (lost volume equivalent to the reservoir in two months), too. I used Lucas Oil steering fluid (EXTRA THICK stuff) and after 1.5 full month, the leak disappeared.

I had to add about 2 tablespoons every week, but it has seem to be fixed, at least for now.

- 1998 ES300 with 200K miles...
Old 12-06-12, 09:34 PM
jcvarner
Driver School Candidate

Thanks PlatES300. I'll see if I can find someone else.

cmotek24 - It seems like I was refilling the reservoir every 3 weeks or so, and it would be empty. I know the car is supposed to use ATF, not PSF. That would be interesting to try, but is that ATF or PSF? Also I don't think it will stop it up considering how much I am losing.
Old 12-06-12, 11:35 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

hmmm, I have a slow leak on my 93. that lucas sounds interesting.

Is there much difference between "PS fluid" , and ATF? I always thought packaging it as PS fluid was a way to charge more for almost the same fluid in a different bottle.

Our KTM 300 dirtbike calls for a certain oil in the gear case. MANY MANY people have swapped to a specific ATF fluid (no friction modifiers) and have had great success.

if anyone else has good info on this, I'd love to know.
Old 12-08-12, 07:28 AM
jcvarner
Driver School Candidate

Well I think there is a big enough difference to make sure you put the correct stuff in. Although I'm not 100% certain why. I'm under the impression that ATF is not flammable and PSF is.
Old 12-08-12, 11:28 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had replaced p/s pump and hoses on our 96es300 the other year. Bill was $800 from a mechanic I know. These were from Toyota dealer and very expensive parts.
You do have to drop engine cradle to get to the hoses/pump as hoses run in the back of the engine and it's total PITA to get to.
Old 12-14-12, 09:38 AM
jcvarner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mitmaks
We had replaced p/s pump and hoses on our 96es300 the other year. Bill was $800 from a mechanic I know. These were from Toyota dealer and very expensive parts.
You do have to drop engine cradle to get to the hoses/pump as hoses run in the back of the engine and it's total PITA to get to.
Thanks mitmaks. I think that answers that I cannot do it myself. Now the decision to fix or not to fix...
Old 12-14-12, 10:25 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

hmmmmm. I have a parts car and was thinking of taking pump out of that and putting it in my leaker car. Sounds like a lot of work. maybe cheaper to buy the part and do it once instead of twice.

OR.... maybe my leak isn't the pump and I luck out. Mechanic wondered if maybe I have leaking hose or seal.

when I am running cold, leave my long driveway, first turn is always stiff (maybe still building pressure/bleeding air?????). From there on, I have no issue, perfect power steering performance, but I do leak some fluid...not much.

I've also noticed an occasional click noise on full turn, which I suspect is CV joint. Not sure if stiff CV might cause this same symptom ??

I know previous owner had a CV boot replaced. Typically, this is done AFTER the old boot is split, CV grease has puked out, and CV joint has been exposed to elements (water) and slowly pits the ball bearings, etc...
Old 12-14-12, 11:17 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

jcvarner, are you smelling the PS fluid? does it smell like motor oil, or tranny fluid (or is it distinguishable?) ?
Old 12-14-12, 11:30 PM
badboylx04
Rookie

i did it with no big deal of course its a pain but any thing is possible it was high pressure hose that was leaking n i call toyota n the part was 400bucks so ya the part is a pretty penny plus labor ya a hand full but i did it myself n saved 300 bucks ,i first put it on a lift n i can see were it was leaking from not to bad i dis connected the hose from the pump that is right behind the pass wheel n a bolt that holds it to the back of the mani then disconnected it from the steering rack n u will need some line wrenches n a vice grip pliers just incase u cant get the flare nuts loose then put it back the same way i took it off about two to three hours depending if u use a floor jack n if u do jack it as high as u can n use jack stands safety first when all said n done u dont have to smell some nasty ps fluid burn on your exhaust pipes really smell use to give me head ACHES ,HOPE I HELP SOME WHAT
Old 12-17-12, 10:13 AM
jcvarner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by canucklehe
jcvarner, are you smelling the PS fluid? does it smell like motor oil, or tranny fluid (or is it distinguishable?) ?
It definitely isn't oil. But since the ps using ATF I don't know how you would tell the difference.
Old 12-17-12, 10:14 AM
jcvarner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by badboylx04
i did it with no big deal of course its a pain but any thing is possible it was high pressure hose that was leaking n i call toyota n the part was 400bucks so ya the part is a pretty penny plus labor ya a hand full but i did it myself n saved 300 bucks ,i first put it on a lift n i can see were it was leaking from not to bad i dis connected the hose from the pump that is right behind the pass wheel n a bolt that holds it to the back of the mani then disconnected it from the steering rack n u will need some line wrenches n a vice grip pliers just incase u cant get the flare nuts loose then put it back the same way i took it off about two to three hours depending if u use a floor jack n if u do jack it as high as u can n use jack stands safety first when all said n done u dont have to smell some nasty ps fluid burn on your exhaust pipes really smell use to give me head ACHES ,HOPE I HELP SOME WHAT
Thanks! Maybe I'll try to track down a repair manual and look at the instructions. See if I think I can do it. Could I drive it on ramps or would I need to put it on jacks?
Old 12-18-12, 05:04 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I saw my PS leak results when I removed my RF tire. I wonder if there would be access through that fenderwell area if the plastic cover was removed? I dunno...but everything I read says PS issues are a PITA to tackle, and dealers seem to charge a few hours. I typically double their time when I am doing for the first time, and can shave it down a lot each subsequent time.

odors: have you ever pulled or towed? heated up your ATF fluid? pull your PS or ATF dipstick and smell it. It has a different odor than motor oil. In fact, when i look at a used car I pull dipsticks and sniff, especially on ATF.

gear oil used in differentials (like a truck or RWD vehicle),is also a distinct, different smell.