ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aftermarket Double Din Radio install in an 04 es330 completed

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 06:45 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Aftermarket Double Din Radio install in an 04 es330 completed

Just completed the install of a Pioneer Double Din nav in my friend's ES330 (non-Nav, non-mark Levinson).

Here's a complete list of parts you will need to make it work:
  1. Mark Levinson double din face plate - OEM ($120ish)
  2. Lexus Radio brackets (86211-33170 & 86212-33170)
  3. Metra TYTO-01 ($65 on ebay)
  4. American International Radio trim (TTR-992) ($10)

Total time it took me remove interior trim and install the HU, Bluetooth MIC, IPOd connector and back up cam - 8 hours. I'm not a professional and I needed some help along the way (thanks CL member Sceptre) but got it done.

AI Radio trim

OEM Radio Bracket

Test Fit and what it will look like

Few things to note along the way:
  • The metra harness has a "gain" dial so make sure you turn it up. I didn't and no sound was coming out at first. Once Sceptre told me about the gain, everything worked great.
  • you will need to trim the back edge of the radio fill trim (Item #4 up above) to fully secure the mounting brackets.
  • The VSS speed wire is the purple wire on the second plug from the top in the ECU (which is behind the glove box).
  • I'd recommend running wires (if you are connecting a backup cam) to the passenger side. There is a ton of room.

Any questions, feel free to pm me

Edwin
Old 09-15-10, 06:35 PM
tikyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

m32,

How did you run the backup cam wire? I'm about to do this in a couple days and I just need the route you took from dash to trunk. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-10, 08:09 AM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tikyle
m32,

How did you run the backup cam wire? I'm about to do this in a couple days and I just need the route you took from dash to trunk. Thanks in advance.
I ran it through the passenger side (in fact, I ran everything through the passenger side). Depending on your camera setup, you will need to run the RCA plug from the camera to the HU and then from the HU, you will need to run the "reverse signal" wire from to the back (unless you find another reverse wire near the HU somewhere.

I didn't need to drill anything b/c the camera I used attaches through the license plate holes

Edwin
Old 09-18-10, 02:13 PM
tikyle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by m32
I ran it through the passenger side (in fact, I ran everything through the passenger side). Depending on your camera setup, you will need to run the RCA plug from the camera to the HU and then from the HU, you will need to run the "reverse signal" wire from to the back (unless you find another reverse wire near the HU somewhere.

I didn't need to drill anything b/c the camera I used attaches through the license plate holes

Edwin
Edwin,

Can you take me step-by-step what route you took? I've done head units before but I'm new to wire routing. Did you go under the seat on the side near the floor and what parts of the interior did you remove. Thanks.
Old 09-18-10, 02:20 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but usually you can run the wire for the backup cam on any car through the center console, underneath the carpet, under the bottom of the back seats and pass through into the trunk. Usually...

Looks pretty good, do you have any plans for the gap on the sides of the avic? You could probably just stuff it with some black foam and it would look ok.
Old 09-19-10, 09:16 AM
tikyle
Driver School Candidate

Edwin,

When using the Metra TYTO-01 did you have to hard wire the power to your head unit or did the connector cover that as well?
Old 09-19-10, 03:12 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm still trying to decide if i should get a face plate for my double din or mold it in.
Old 10-25-12, 08:12 PM
JoeyV
Driver School Candidate

Default In_Credible!

what rear camera did you select?
I am bout to tackle a 2006 ES330. I chose a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT.
My Pain and Questions...

Location of the NAV Antenna? Rear deck is optimal. Is it practical?

The "pink" wire.. "Car Speed Signal". Really? My phone doesn't need this and it can figure out my speed.

Steering Wheel Controls... Worth it?

Thanks!
JoeyV
Old 10-30-12, 08:29 AM
tikyle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoeyV
I am bout to tackle a 2006 ES330. I chose a Pioneer AVIC-X940BT.
My Pain and Questions...

Location of the NAV Antenna? Rear deck is optimal. Is it practical?

The "pink" wire.. "Car Speed Signal". Really? My phone doesn't need this and it can figure out my speed.

Steering Wheel Controls... Worth it?

Thanks!
JoeyV
Joe I just got a generic cheapo backup cam. It's fine for what it's worth. I mounted my GPS antenna between the rear speakers in the trunk. My antenna had a magnetic so it just stuck right there and I just ran the wire under the middle console and back seat.

Can't answer the other questions because I didn't get the same NAV and I didn't need any special wires just a harness for the amp (Metra TYTO-01).
Old 01-16-13, 12:26 PM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeyv
I am bout to tackle a 2006 es330. I chose a pioneer avic-x940bt.
My pain and questions...

Location of the nav antenna? Rear deck is optimal. Is it practical?

The "pink" wire.. "car speed signal". Really? My phone doesn't need this and it can figure out my speed.

Steering wheel controls... Worth it?

Thanks!
Joeyv
just wondering if you did this yet i was thinking on using the same nav unit. Do they make a harness to where you dont have to cut the factory wires?

Did you buy the steering wheel controle unit? Let me know. Pictures would be much appriciated!