Engine noise at startup! - Club Lexus Forums


Engine noise at startup!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-14, 01:08 PM   #1
nabbun
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
nabbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine noise at startup!

Holy smokes!

I started my car yesterday for the first cold start that day. When the engine cranked over, it sounded like a jack hammer was going off in my engine bay! I freaked out and shut off the engine. I checked the engine bay for anything loose or broken. Nothing. It was clean. So I started it up again and the noise was still there but it quickly died down and stopped. I've been driving it normally and the sound hasn't returned. I have a feeling it might have been caused by the car being shut off during a cold start. I moved the car out of the driveway and into the garage. It was the first and only time I have shut off the car seconds after the engine came to life and the next start it makes this crazy noise!

Has anyone gone through something like this or know what I'm babbling on about?
nabbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 01:25 PM   #2
LexLeezard
Driver School Candidate
 
LexLeezard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hey Nabbun: after five decades of driving experience with many, many different vehicles, all owned and driven during very harsh conditions in the Canadian North (as well as our nice, brief summers), my first thought would be oil starvation in the upper portions of the valve train. The telling thing about your description is the initial racket and then how the noise stopped. How long had it been sitting there without running? Have you checked your engine oil level lately? Are you on schedule for oil and filter changes, as well as overall system checkups? Good luck on determining the cause. Cheers / LexLeezard / 2008 GS460, brake disc and pad upgrade, no mods
LexLeezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 01:59 PM   #3
KKM
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ca
Posts: 102
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

It's a well documented issue with cold soak of the manifold, here is more information and discussion:

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...ough-idle.html
KKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 03:07 PM   #4
nabbun
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
nabbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeezard View Post
Hey Nabbun: after five decades of driving experience with many, many different vehicles, all owned and driven during very harsh conditions in the Canadian North (as well as our nice, brief summers), my first thought would be oil starvation in the upper portions of the valve train. The telling thing about your description is the initial racket and then how the noise stopped. How long had it been sitting there without running? Have you checked your engine oil level lately? Are you on schedule for oil and filter changes, as well as overall system checkups? Good luck on determining the cause. Cheers / LexLeezard / 2008 GS460, brake disc and pad upgrade, no mods
It was sitting overnight. I haven't checked my oil level yet. I'm at 12500 miles and I've been on track with my 5k and 10k service. Thanks mate.
nabbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 03:07 PM   #5
nabbun
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
nabbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post
It's a well documented issue with cold soak of the manifold, here is more information and discussion:

http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...ough-idle.html
Thanks for the heads up. I'll speak with my service rep during my 15k. Unless the issue pops up again.
nabbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 09:13 AM   #6
JayGoldste
Driver
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabbun View Post
Holy smokes!
I started my car yesterday for the first cold start that day. When the engine cranked over, it sounded like a jack hammer was going off in my engine bay!
Has anyone gone through something like this or know what I'm babbling on about?
This is my first winter with the CT. I've started the car at temperatures as low as -37C (thanks to the polar vortex) and only once did the engine made that racket. The noise is very disconcerting, but apparently no harm is done. It is a known issue with the 1.8L engine used in the CT and the Prius.
JayGoldste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-14, 01:00 PM   #7
nabbun
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
nabbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldste View Post
This is my first winter with the CT. I've started the car at temperatures as low as -37C (thanks to the polar vortex) and only once did the engine made that racket. The noise is very disconcerting, but apparently no harm is done. It is a known issue with the 1.8L engine used in the CT and the Prius.
Frightening, isn't it? Scared the living crap outta me!
nabbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 10:59 PM   #8
FLYCT
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,247
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Mine has done this 3 times to me. I took it to the dealer 2 days ago. The first start of the day after sitting overnight at the dealership it started normally. Later in the day the tech heard the noise but being alone could not isolate the source. Today they called and said in addition to the manifold service bulletin there is a similar noise bulletin relating to a bad rear engine mount.

They were not able to reproduce the noise again but they feel my noise is related to engine mount so one was ordered to be installed before returning my car to me. In the interim we're driving a brand new ES loaner.

JR
FLYCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-14, 02:01 PM   #9
nabbun
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
nabbun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info FlyCT
nabbun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 ES300h Engine Noise on Start brian861 ES - 6th Gen (2013-present) 10 02-19-16 08:47 AM
Weird idle sound after cold start seemed to drive fine, tried to shut down, smoked. Heydreezy GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 1 05-04-14 10:35 PM
My 92 sc400 starts and shuts rite off Markysc4 Performance & Maintenance 13 05-02-13 05:28 PM
recent problems chalels40o LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 1 02-28-12 12:17 AM
1991 LS400 engine bay noise ( with video/soundclip ) Patsum LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 2 01-29-12 02:02 AM


Tags
200, bad, bulletin, cold, ct200, ct200h, engine, lexus, loud, mount, noise, racket, start, starting, well

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved