CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone into Bonsai?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 08:11 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Anyone into Bonsai?

I've always been interested in the art of Bonsai ever since Karate Kid, but never had the chance to get into it because of the cost....couldn't justify spending a couple hundred for a tree that's barely 12" tall, nor could I wait 5-10 years for a sapling to grow into a tree. I recently purchased a small Haiwaiian Umbrella tree (potted in a lava rock)as a starter, and now I want to get into the real Bonsai trees. I've been to a couple Bonsai nurseries in Santa Monica in search of a certain species (Fukien Tea) and have also called around without any luck. Just wondering if anyone here is into Bonsai and knows of any good nurseries (in So Cali) where I might be able to get my hands on a Fukien Tea tree.
Old 07-18-05, 09:57 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BR1AN
I've always been interested in the art of Bonsai ever since Karate Kid, but never had the chance to get into it because of the cost....couldn't justify spending a couple hundred for a tree that's barely 12" tall, nor could I wait 5-10 years for a sapling to grow into a tree. I recently purchased a small Haiwaiian Umbrella tree (potted in a lava rock)as a starter, and now I want to get into the real Bonsai trees. I've been to a couple Bonsai nurseries in Santa Monica in search of a certain species (Fukien Tea) and have also called around without any luck. Just wondering if anyone here is into Bonsai and knows of any good nurseries (in So Cali) where I might be able to get my hands on a Fukien Tea tree.

How about modding the car and watching it grow?

JK daniel son..

Old 07-19-05, 02:18 PM
dough boi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BR1AN
First, you have to go find a old vietnamese man, then you ask him where you buy this particular tree . Or I'll try to ask my dad for you next time I'm at my parents place.
Old 07-20-05, 03:43 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went to LB State there was a garden on campus where they sold those little trees, try LB State's garden
Old 07-22-05, 08:52 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Thanks for trying fellas, but I found out that there is some sort of 2 year probation/ban period for importing trees from China (where the tree I'm looking for is originally from). However, I've heard that it's obtainable in the east coast...I guess I'll have to look online.
Old 07-30-05, 09:54 PM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

http://www.proflowers.com/cfm/produc...tchtype=search

my pops got his bonsai from this website they don't have fukien.
Old 08-01-05, 12:11 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Finally found a nursery that sells the tree I've been looking for and then some.

BTW aznxguy714, if your dad plans on getting more trees in the future, tell him to check out House of Bonsai in Lakewood:
http://www.1stbonsai.com/

The website you suggested is way overpriced.
Old 08-01-05, 12:20 AM
aznxguy714
Pole Position

sorry br1an it was just a suggestion website. I never said they were cheap. Anyways thanks i'll let my pops know about that website. take cares man