CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

headers & wide pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-05, 12:20 PM
aristogirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers & y pipe

I'm looking for headers for my 00 GS300. I looked in the classifieds no luck. Any help.

Last edited by aristogirl; 07-11-05 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-10-05, 12:43 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find a set on Ebay.

They're made by OBX.
Old 07-14-05, 02:44 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

OBX on a lexus? My goodness what kind of advice are you giving her
Old 07-14-05, 03:17 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix

isnt xherd a good header for the GS
Old 07-14-05, 04:35 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

From my readings before, turbo east uses the same header as OBX. So i dont see why not.

Xerd headers are good. But I heard they have thin walls and will create a loud raspy sound like a civic with tin cans.

Go ahead and pick which one u want.

If i'm not mistaken, I believe LXOGOOD is using OBX header with his supercharger setup. If i'm wrong, i'm sorry Ken.
Old 07-14-05, 05:30 PM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

ken is using obx header
edawg is also using obx header and y pipe on his s/c kit
Old 07-14-05, 06:37 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikal
From my readings before, turbo east uses the same header as OBX. So i dont see why not.

Xerd headers are good. But I heard they have thin walls and will create a loud raspy sound like a civic with tin cans.

Go ahead and pick which one u want.

If i'm not mistaken, I believe LXOGOOD is using OBX header with his supercharger setup. If i'm wrong, i'm sorry Ken.

Xerd sounds raspy?
i was in the market for headers but someone told me that the check engine light goes on.
is that true?
Old 07-14-05, 06:39 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

I heard that it was raspy with xerd headers.

You would need an O2 Simulator to correct the check engine light
Old 07-14-05, 08:32 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Yup, running an OBX header with a LMS O2 Simulator. OBX is one of the best headers out for the GS3/IS3 in my opinion. Why? The walls of the headers are thicker which voids out any raspy noise coming from it. Also, the fitment & O2 sensor placement is perfect unlike many headers you see on ebay. Xerd headers are very raspy due to the thinner walls and longer runners. Turbo East does in fact market the OBX headers but tags them as Turbo East... yes, you will need to get an O2 simulator to avoid getting a CEL. Since 2 of the 3 cats are now gone, be prepared to have blacker exhaust tips...

A few people with IS300's have dyno consistant #'s (8-12rwhp) with the OBX header. CL member EDGY has been through 3 different header setups and liked the OBX header the best. I followed his advice and have been completely satisfied...
Old 07-14-05, 09:50 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Ken, thanks for chiming in with the wonderful information.
Old 07-15-05, 10:44 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

I'll take back my previous statement with the OBX headers.

Although I had personal experience with OBX on my friends Turbo Civic. Horrible quality.
Old 07-15-05, 11:46 AM
guillermo
Lexus Test Driver

i heard obx has some off the best power gains
Old 07-15-05, 01:03 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

I'll take back my previous statement with the OBX headers.

Although I had personal experience with OBX on my friends Turbo Civic. Horrible quality.

Well, their Turbo mannifold in the otherhand is poor quality. they dont have enough brace to keep the heavy turbine from cracking the sidewalls. But if it's just a header, it's fine.
Old 07-21-05, 01:22 AM
edgy
Lead Lap

The OBX header for the IS/GS is a solid unit.. and it is the exact same unit... it is the Y pipes that are different for IS/GS. i believe.... so if you are using an OEM Y on the GS to mitigate some of the volume etc you will be fine with getting a header advertised for an IS or GS, whatever... it will bolt right in easily.

I bought an OBX about a month before TBKO started promoting them as their header & when i asked Jeff about it he agreed that they were both probly getting them from the same MFG.......

Jeff knows his schite & I was confident that if he liked it, it was a good unit & I made a good choice, the ONLY choice actually, in following my theory about the differences a short runner header might make and trying this OBX despite the ' - rep'. I had heard less than flattering references to OBX stuff also so i was suspect..but i took a risk. After testing XERD/ PRO-1/ Toyomoto against OEM..... the OBX produces the best power band for daily driving of them all in my opinion.

The short runner design produces more power earlier in the range than any long runner design.. .they produce about 2-4 less ultimate Max HP than say a XERD.. .but they sound bitschen & no rasp. The XERD power advantage is at around 5800 rpm or so & i am usually NOT able to use that power too often..this car is a daily driver / track car/ show car... & i commute 80mi. in traffic daily averaging 30 MPH if lucky.

the long runner designs i tried seemed to really change the power curve noticeably from
'stock' they "pull" power from the low end rpms & replace that plus more in the hi end rpm range t oredline or so. Yyou end up with a narrower power band, one oriented towards the top end of the Rpm range, & unless you are racing around like a nut... .you just can't make use of the extra power with out driving like an idiot & eventuially going to jail.. ..

the loss in torque & power in the low end & off the line with long runner designs will be noticeable...the car will feel and be slower off the line than 'stock' & make more noise doing it .

I also had my OBX Jet Hot coated, supposed to help reduce radiant heat off the header &assist in its efficiency. Aas a thermal barrier it helps the header last longer....

Last edited by edgy; 07-21-05 at 01:32 AM.