CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Anyone in the San Diego area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 09:57 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone in the San Diego area?

Hello to all my West coast CL bretheren! The missus and I are taking a vacation in June to San Diego. Neither of us have even been there before. Since I am an anally retentive fool, I am already planning my itinerary, and I know of no better place to go to ask for information than CL!
So, does anyone have any suggestions on dining, entertainment, dumb touristy things to do, etc? We may be in our mid-thirties, but we still enjoy having some fun!

Some questions: I was looking into playing a round of golf at Torrey Pines. Is is conceivable that I could actually get on or is it more like Pebble Beach where you need to reserve months in advance?
Any other recommended courses?
What kind of weather can I expect in mid-June? (I know it's San Diego, so basically the weather should run the gamet from nice to nice , but what temps should I expect)

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

Mark
Old 03-31-05, 10:33 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it might be the good ol' "june gloom" at that time. but for tourist things, downtown gaslamp, oldtown, of course the beaches. you can find all your eats downtown from 5 star to good take out. dont forget to eat at the thousands of mexican food restuarants here. you can also head down to the border for some $12 lobster and steak. i cant tell you about golf though.
Old 03-31-05, 10:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by antbo
it might be the good ol' "june gloom" at that time. but for tourist things, downtown gaslamp, oldtown, of course the beaches. you can find all your eats downtown from 5 star to good take out. dont forget to eat at the thousands of mexican food restuarants here. you can also head down to the border for some $12 lobster and steak. i cant tell you about golf though.
"June Gloom"?? Someone one said something to me about a time when there is a lot of fog. Is this what you're referring to?
Old 03-31-05, 10:48 AM
antbo
Lead Lap

no, just cloudy
Old 03-31-05, 03:50 PM
PAPASMURF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And don't forget all the Amusment parks that are within driving distance (hour-hour & half). My Father has played Torrey, he says it's a nice course just a lil expensive. Sorry I can't help with the cost's and things. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old 03-31-05, 04:04 PM
juniorsdad
Lead Lap

look thru this
http://www.sandiego.com/
Old 03-31-05, 04:24 PM
soarer1023
Lead Lap

for dining i will suggest Donovan Steak House by UC San diego, i have been there twice and i love that place. it is a little pircey but it is worth it, specially their friday dinner only special 24oz prime ribs, and their desserts are great as well. and if u r going their, just to be sure to wear a polo shirt and pants.
Old 03-31-05, 10:44 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Well since I'm a fellow san diegan myself I say go to La Jolla

Here's a few shots I took at the La Jolla cove yesterday. I decided to take my nephew there since it was such a beautiful day...

well here, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves

and here's my nephew (josh) looking at the coast

Old 04-01-05, 07:53 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Thanks so much for the info guys!!! CL Members ROCK!!! I can't wait to head out there!!

Seize, those pics are beautiful!!!! The La Jolla area is definately on my short list of places to visit!!! Also, great shot of your nephew overlooking the ocean!!

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-01-05, 05:30 PM
1gs430
Driver

Default golfing in SD

Hi there. For many people from the East Coast, once they visit San Diego, it turns into a one-way trip. I have golfed at many courses and a great resource for places, directions and costs is www.golfsd.com . I use that site alot. I second Donovan's Chop House in La Jolla or Ruth Chris's downtown if you're into steak. I'm also in my thirties and here are a few places I take out of town guests: Old Town (Casa Bandini for margaritas and original mexican food), the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier museum, Seaport Village next door to USS Intrepid, anywhere in the Gaslamp district on any night, Tiajuana if you're daring enough, Horton Plaza downtown for great shopping and Rosecrans National Cemetary on Point Loma for the best views of downtown San Diego and the ocean. If you can't get onto Torrey Pines (use a broker) then try La Costa, Maderas or Steele Canyon. Have a great time and let me know if you need any info, I've lived here the last 20 years.
Old 04-04-05, 06:31 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by 1gs430
Hi there. For many people from the East Coast, once they visit San Diego, it turns into a one-way trip. I have golfed at many courses and a great resource for places, directions and costs is www.golfsd.com . I use that site alot. I second Donovan's Chop House in La Jolla or Ruth Chris's downtown if you're into steak. I'm also in my thirties and here are a few places I take out of town guests: Old Town (Casa Bandini for margaritas and original mexican food), the USS Intrepid aircraft carrier museum, Seaport Village next door to USS Intrepid, anywhere in the Gaslamp district on any night, Tiajuana if you're daring enough, Horton Plaza downtown for great shopping and Rosecrans National Cemetary on Point Loma for the best views of downtown San Diego and the ocean. If you can't get onto Torrey Pines (use a broker) then try La Costa, Maderas or Steele Canyon. Have a great time and let me know if you need any info, I've lived here the last 20 years.

Thanks for the info 1gs! I will look up on the website you provided for some courses. I did receive a golf guide in the mail from the Chamber of Commerce, and from my initial look through, Riverwalk (I believe was the name) appeared to be a beautiful course. Plus it's close to our hotel, The Sheraton San Diego Mission Valley. Any thoughts on Riverwalk.
Old 04-06-05, 02:35 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

SD is a sweet place.
Some of my favorite things when in town.

Wander Hotel Del Coronado and some of the surrounding shops.
La Jolla
Point Loma for the views of the city
Old Town (parking can be a PITA on weekends)

Food, we always stop at Gordon Biersch for some suds.
Prego Italian food
Moo Time at Hotel Del
Emerald something for dim sum (on Convoy if I recollect)

Prolly more but my brain cells are half asleep.
Old 04-06-05, 03:14 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

or the famous karl strauss
Old 04-07-05, 09:07 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Donovans is great, one of SD's best chop houses. Also down the road from Donovans, is Flemmings, it's quite good also. As far as Ruths Chris is concerned, I prefer the one in the Carmel Valley/Del mar area, only because it has a view over-looking the water Oh and I hear Greystone downtown is a pretty good steak place.

As far as brewery/restaurants are concerned. Karl Strauss and Gordon Biersch are pretty cool.
I'd say the nicest Karl Strauss is located in the Sorrento Valley area. It's really nice, it's set-up like an oriental garden, bridge over a large koi pond, a nice floral and botanical array that surrounds the complex, food is ok but typical of what they would serve at a brewery/restaurant. But if you're really into beer then go to Yardhouse in downtown - they have over 100 beers on tap and IMO they have a much better menu than the two mentioned above

Hope you enjoy your stay here,

-Seize
Old 04-21-05, 03:55 PM
soarer1023
Lead Lap

hey SD fellows, for those who had been to karl strauss, i didn't a search on that and there are a few kral strauss, which one u guys think taste the best. since i m down at SD this weekend, possible going to dinner there. thx