Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-17, 02:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am always amazed by the armchair critics. Pointing out all the little details that really make little difference.
This forum would probably not function if people did not point out things. What matters to some folks may be of little consequence to others....and vice-versa.

I once car-shopped (at her request) with a very nice lady who came very, very close to signing the deal on a new Corolla sedan (can't remember if it was a DX, LE, etc...). She liked everything about the car, including the test-drive, until she found one minor flaw in the way the seat was designed that, with her upper-back and neck condition, started to aggravate that condition. I pointed out every possible seat-adjustment-feature out on the car for her, tried every adjustment I could find, had her try every one she could find (she might have even had a seat-pillow with her, I don't recall)..all to no avail. The deal was off.........the next day, she tried a Honda Civic, found no problems, and took one home.

Bless her heart, she was engaged.....I didn't know that. She sent me a nice thank-you card several days later in the mail, with an announcement of her wedding.

So, sometimes, little things DO matter.
Old 02-16-17, 02:51 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just checked price on a 2017 sequoia platinum 4x4 - 66k with no accessories.
and this with a 6 speed auto and ancient interior. one of the accessories is a $69 'phone charger' with 2 apple cords.
besides reputation for bulletproof reliability, no idea why someone would want a sequoia vs. a durango or a pilot.
my father has a 2011 platinum sticker over 60s, and the interior feels very cheap and plastic. The leather seats started to peel and discolor after 4 years. The separate key fob (lock/unlock) the doors, died right after 3 year warranty expired. And don't get me started on the rattle. I Would never spend that kind of money for it... Rather pick up a GX470 for mid 50s with slightly less power and size

Last edited by ssmoked; 02-16-17 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 02:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
The leather seats started to peel and discolor after 4 year. Would never spend that kind of money for it... Rather pick up a GX470 for mid 50s with slightly less power and size
Interesting. The leather in the Sequoia seems more durable than the GX470.
Old 02-16-17, 03:03 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interesting. The leather in the Sequoia seems more durable than the GX470.
he had a gx 470 before it, the leather was perfect when he traded it in for the sequoia. The Lexus leather is far more durable as he never conditions the seats and is always exposed to salt water and tough use
Old 02-16-17, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssmoked
he had a gx 470 before it, the leather was perfect when he traded it in for the sequoia. The Lexus leather is far more durable as he never conditions the seats and is always exposed to salt water and tough use
Interesting. The Sequoia and Tundra leather to me seemed tougher and more durable. But I am glad he liked his GX
Old 02-17-17, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,855 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
This whole thread is about keyfobs or the Sequoia refresh? LoL
Show you how exciting the refresh is lol
Old 02-17-17, 01:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

if a thief wants your vehicle, they will find a will and way to it. Touch or Key etc are all barriers to entry, but its whatever. All you can do, is hope its not you and enjoy the advancements in tech have allowed you to enjoy leave the key in your pocket and start the vehicle. In a few years, that will be outdated, replaced with smartwatches/phones into a car.

Has anyone noticed 2 things

1) The tundra and sequoia although built on the same platform have two unique gauge setups
2) The sequoia apparently is hand-built to a certain extent
Old 02-18-17, 11:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
if a thief wants your vehicle, they will find a will and way to it. Touch or Key etc are all barriers to entry, but its whatever. All you can do, is hope its not you and enjoy the advancements in tech have allowed you to enjoy leave the key in your pocket and start the vehicle. In a few years, that will be outdated, replaced with smartwatches/phones into a car.

Has anyone noticed 2 things

1) The tundra and sequoia although built on the same platform have two unique gauge setups
Care to elaborate on the hand built part????? Only things that are "hand built" now days are Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lambos, etc.
Old 02-18-17, 12:30 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Care to elaborate on the hand built part????? Only things that are "hand built" now days are Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Lambos, etc.

start at 2:02
Old 02-18-17, 12:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Hey nice find. Would be interesting to know what it is that they are doing.
Old 02-19-17, 01:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,406 Posts

in the video the toyota guy kinda dances just saying it's a challenge related to the indiana plant, not a selling point.

also, i see only downside to something like a car being 'hand built'. although no doubt toyota's excellent quality programs keep it top notch.
Old 02-21-17, 07:34 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Side note: wife and I went to a Toyota dealer yesterday (we were dancing between the LC/LX and the Sequoia). Test drove a 17 Sequioa Platinum, was too "truck-like" for my wife; the salesperson said they received some guidance from their Toyota rep that the 2018's will be pretty much similar with some aesthetic changes as well as the dash changes....but if my wife didn't "love" the ride of the 2018, it won't be changing anytime soon. So it does sound like 2020 or 2021 is when the next true refresh is coming.

The salesguy did lament (having been at this Toyota dealership for 9.5 years) that the fact it hasn't been refreshed in almost a decade has hurt it, features like BSM weren't available lower grade trims till recently and reliability alone doesn't sell for the Sequoia. Other than the LC, the Sequoia is one of the low-volume units at his dealership. I read somewhere that Toyota has been selling 5k-6k units a year....but on tooling/R&D that has been paid off years ago, this is gravy for Toyota. Other than the Highlander, Toyota doesn't have a refreshed contender against the new 18 Expedition or arguably even the Tahoe/Yukon twins.

Side note: he's also said there has been a constant flurry of issues with the new Tacoma among his customers due to the recent redesign.
Old 02-21-17, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Side note: he's also said there has been a constant flurry of issues with the new Tacoma among his customers due to the recent redesign.
I can't vouch for the new Tacoma's long-term reliability (which has always been good)....but, after reviewing both a new Tacoma and a new Chevy Colorado, I thought the Colorado was clearly superior in several areas.
Old 02-21-17, 09:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

C&D ranks the segment as they see it in this order: Ridgeline, Colorado, Canyon and Tacoma.
Old 02-21-17, 08:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Brother in law bought a new 2016 Tacoma a year ago, base version, 4 cylinder. Its been flawless the first year he's owned it, has over 15k miles on it now. Dad bought a 2016 Tacoma as well, waited for 2-3 years for the new design before purchase. His is the V6 SR5, flawless as well, but I think it only has like 2,000 miles on it lol(must be nice to be retired).

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh