Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 02:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh

I don't believe it. After how many years on sale. The Sequoia finally gets a new gauge cluster.

side from launching their new RAV4 Adventure in Chicago, Toyota also debuted the updated 2018 Tundra pickup truck and Sequoia SUV, both of which get TRD Sport gear.

For both the Tundra as well as the Sequoia, these TRD Sport duds are just part of an overall MY2018 refresh, as the large SUV and pickup will feature improved safety as well as exterior styling changes.

The 2018 Tundra gets Toyota Safety Sense as standard, bundling a Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert, Auto High Beams and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Exterior upgrades include a new mesh grille on select trims, whereas the Tundra Limited and 1794 Edition get a new billet style grille.

Other exterior changes include new LED headlights, DRLs and LED fog lights for Limited, Platinum and 1794 Edition models, with LED headlights and fog lights also available when purchasing the TRD Off-Road package on SR5 versions. Otherwise, SR and SR5 grades will make due with halogen headlights with a black bezel and the previously mentioned LED Daytime Running Lights.

Buyers looking to purchase the new Tundra TRD Sport will find it available on 4x4 and 4x2 grades in CrewMax and Double Cab configurations, powered by Toyota's 381 HP 5.7-liter i-Force V8 engine. Aiding driving performance will be the TRD Sport Tuned Bilstein Shocks and TRD front & rear anti-sway bars.

As for styling changes, TRD Sport Tundra models get color-keyed mirrors, hood scoop and front & rear bumpers, 20" alloy silver sport wheels, the LED headlights, fog lights and DRLs, mesh grille with body color surround and a TRD Sport-specific bedside graphic. Exterior colors include Super White, Magnetic Gray, Midnight Black Pearl, Blazing Blue Pearl and Barcelona Red Metallic, while inside you get a TRD shift **** and TRD Sport floor mats.

Most of the key features on the TRD Sport Tundra also translate to the TRD-tuned Sequoia, which has the same engine, custom shocks, anti-sway bars and 4x4/4x2 modes as its pickup truck sibling. Exterior features specific to the Sequoia TRD Sport include a new front grille and bumper grille insert, metallic black mirror caps, 20" alloy black sport wheels, darkened rear taillight housing, a black satin finish TRD Sport badge on the front doors and a metallic black and chrome Sequoia badge on the liftgate.

The SUV's interior gets standard black fabric seven-passenger seating, optional black leather captain's chair seats (part of the optional Premium Package), plus TRD shift ****, floor mats and sill protectors. Also like the Tundra, the Sequoia comes better prepared as a 2018MY car, featuring updated active safety features like PCS w/PD, LDA, AHB and DRCC, as well as LED headlights with DRL tech, and fog lights.

All updated Sequoia models will feature a new instrumentation panel gauge cluster as standard, together with a 4.2" Multi-information Display that tracks the status of its Toyota Safety Sense system. Other changes include the updated center speaker grille, with the Platinum grade model now getting wood-like accents.

Toyota's 2018 Sequoia will be available in eight exterior color configurations, which include three new colors - Midnight Black Metallic, Shoreline Blue Pearl and Toasted Walnut Pearl. Other colors include Super White, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Silver Sky Metallic, Blizzard Pearl and Sizzling Crimson.

Expect to see the TRD Sport versions of the 2018 Tundra & Sequoia arrive in showrooms this September.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/02/res...a-sequoia.html
Old 02-09-17, 02:58 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow... And here we were -- waiting for the axe. Guess Toyota wants to keep these going.

Looks like the changes are at least substantial tho. Nice safety updates. Looks nice and contemporary.

Powertrains, well... Yea...
Old 02-09-17, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up.

From what I saw of the last-generation version, what the Sequoia probably needed the most was better plastics and interior trim materials. I was not at all impressed with it. It also had rather ponderous steering and handling-feel, even by full-size truck standards (I did a review). I'll withhold further comment on the new one until I see it in person.
Old 02-09-17, 03:20 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Can't believe they're still using the same terrible dash design as when the Sequoia launched 10 years ago. At least they did away with it in the Tundra a few years ago. Figured they would've given the Sequoia the updated Tundra dash, which is much better looking, way more ergonomic, and feels like its bolted together better. Main thing with the Sequioa(and original Tundra) dash is that the layout is horrible, the touch screen/radio is about a mile away from the driver, heck it might be closer to the passenger seat. You literally have to lean forward to reach the radio/touch screen.
Old 02-09-17, 03:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice nip and tuck. Good timing with Ford's new Expedition and Expedition Max debuting.

Jill, thanks for pointing out the revised Speedo and Tach. The previous one was BAD

Old 02-09-17, 03:55 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

well at least they're not killing it off like many others around the dealership were suggesting might happen
Old 02-09-17, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Jill, thanks for pointing out the revised Speedo and Tach. The previous one was BAD

The dash plastics around the old gauges were awful, too.
Old 02-09-17, 11:06 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gas is cheap, and probably will be for some time. No reason at all to cancel the big SUV's for Toyota. They sell enough hybrids to offset them for their mileage average anyway. Looks nice, when will the next Tundra drop?
Old 02-10-17, 09:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

just checked price on a 2017 sequoia platinum 4x4 - 66k with no accessories.
and this with a 6 speed auto and ancient interior. one of the accessories is a $69 'phone charger' with 2 apple cords.
besides reputation for bulletproof reliability, no idea why someone would want a sequoia vs. a durango or a pilot.
Old 02-10-17, 09:13 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Sequoia must be a ugliest 3-row SUV and it is not cheap anymore...
Old 02-10-17, 09:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
just checked price on a 2017 sequoia platinum 4x4 - 66k with no accessories.
and this with a 6 speed auto and ancient interior. one of the accessories is a $69 'phone charger' with 2 apple cords.
besides reputation for bulletproof reliability, no idea why someone would want a sequoia vs. a durango or a pilot.
The Sequoia is for those who need a large people mover with boat towing capabilities and real 4Wd with V8. I will agree that there domestics do this segment better but the Sequoia does what I mentioned really well.
Old 02-10-17, 01:29 PM
TRDRAV4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Sequoia is for Toyota owners who need a large people mover with boat towing capabilities and real 4Wd with V8. I will agree that there domestics do this segment better but the Sequoia does what I mentioned really well.
FTFY. It may not conquest many other buyers outside existing Toyota owners, so it still exists for a good reason for them. I remember hearing the 'deathwatch' of the Sequoia since its so old now, but its a good thing that they didn't kill it yet. This refresh will give it a few more years before the Tundra and Sequoia duo are totally redone.
Old 02-10-17, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDRAV4
FTFY. It may not conquest many other buyers outside existing Toyota owners, so it still exists for a good reason for them. I remember hearing the 'deathwatch' of the Sequoia since its so old now, but its a good thing that they didn't kill it yet. This refresh will give it a few more years before the Tundra and Sequoia duo are totally redone.
Thanks. I should of wrote for Toyota owners or for fans of the Toyota brand. We see a few Sequoias at the Marina where we spend time in the summer. A lot boat towing.

As for the next gen, I believe the Sequoia, Tundra, and Land Cruiser along with the Lexus 500 engine will all be integrated. We won't see separate Sequoia and Land Cruiser platforms. It will be one.
Old 02-10-17, 04:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Sequoia must be a ugliest 3-row SUV and it is not cheap anymore...
Actually other than the stupid dashboard, I like the styling. Reminds me of "THE GRAVE DIGGERRRRRR!!!!!"

Old 02-10-17, 04:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Could they have made the shifter any larger?

Love the headlights though.

Quick Reply: 2018 Toyota Sequoia got a partial refresh