Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CR Reps Discuss Their 2016-2017 Reliability Ratings.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default CR Reps Discuss Their 2016-2017 Reliability Ratings.

We all spend a lot of time, in the various Car Chat threads, discussing (and opinionating) on Consumer Reports and how they get their annual reliability rankings. I thought I'd post this video I found interesting, which was done by CR representatives themselves, on this year's findings, the data they used, and what propelled the advances/declines in the ratings of various manufacturers. For some of us, it will verify some of what we already know....but explain it in further detail. For others, it may be a learning experience. For yet others, perhaps an opportunity to listen a little before panning.

Old 01-08-17, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

pretty early on in the video the woman says what's stupid about CR new car 'reliability' ratings. she said it's based on people reporting problems in surveys sent out in the Spring of each year. the 'problems' reported used to be big things like engines and transmissions, but now are things like infotainment systems (although she did say there were also problems with 8 and 9 speed autos). but as we all here know, the problems with infotainment systems are almost certainly NOT 'reliability' issues, but typically user ignorance or bad usability / slowness of the systems themselves. they're still operating as designed though and are thus not unreliable.
Old 01-08-17, 08:25 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
pretty early on in the video the woman says what's stupid about CR new car 'reliability' ratings. she said it's based on people reporting problems in surveys sent out in the Spring of each year. the 'problems' reported used to be big things like engines and transmissions, but now are things like infotainment systems (although she did say there were also problems with 8 and 9 speed autos). but as we all here know, the problems with infotainment systems are almost certainly NOT 'reliability' issues, but typically user ignorance or bad usability / slowness of the systems themselves. they're still operating as designed though and are thus not unreliable.
^^^ this. this is exactly what's wrong with CR reliability ratings. while they do hold some weight, they need to be taken with a grain of salt when the majority of users are finding faults that lie with the infotainment system of x marque.
Old 01-08-17, 08:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

They should just call it collectively as car "problems" ratings , not just reliability ......

Whatever that cause difficulties, distress, inconvenience, frustrations, etc.
Old 01-08-17, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, they start out saying that its the infotaintment screens, then near the end they start crying about transmissions in the Escalade. Not much meat on the bone with this video. It seems to me that CR is trying their hardest than ever before to fight for relevancy.
Old 01-08-17, 09:31 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Why Consumer Reports sucks:
http://jamesordinaryguyreviews.blogs...rts-sucks.html
Old 01-08-17, 09:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I think MM may have elicited the reactions he was looking for.
Old 01-08-17, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think MM may have elicited the reactions he was looking for.
I wasn't looking for any particular reactions. I'm well-aware that CR has both supporters and skeptics. But, we are (mostly) adults in this forum, and most people act like it, most of the time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-08-17 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

it's not about skeptics, it's about analyzing their 'methodology'. i'd love it if it was credible, but it isn't. not even close.
Old 01-10-17, 10:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

it's not about skeptics, it's about analyzing their 'methodology'. i'd love it if it was credible, but it isn't. not even close.
I would love to see their data and methods have full disclosure. Let some professionals take a look.
Old 01-10-17, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I have found it quite credible for over 40 years.....in fact, closer to 50. We can agree to disagree on that.