Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camry Incentives Rise High as Toyota Chases 15th Consecutive Year on Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-16, 11:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Pretty much every black Camry in NYC is an Uber nowadays, navigated by a dumbfounded slowpoke paying way more attention to his damn phone than the road. I want to kill all those things with fire!
I'm surprised Uber would paint their Camrys black. That just makes them more difficult to see and identify at night....when the customers are waiting for their rides.
Old 08-20-16, 11:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm surprised Uber would paint their Camrys black. That just makes them more difficult to see and identify at night....when the customers are waiting for their rides.
Uber doesn't paint their cars black, its just that most uber drivers get black cars. In Manhattan, most black cars are with T&LC plates - mostly ubers, lyfts and private limo services. Tons of them are Camrys and Avalongs, and a good number of GMC SUVs. They also happen to be the worst drivers, bringing NYC traffics to a crawl.

Last edited by Och; 08-20-16 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-20-16, 05:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

IDK I just thought it had to do with availability, insurance, and havving customers associate their cars with the default Black color on previous Black Lincoln Town Cars that were and still are in some areas the main workhorse of livery fleets.

Old 08-21-16, 03:08 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Uber doesn't own a single car, they're owned by the drivers who are independent contractors for Uber. Allows uber to not pay overtime, provide benefits, insurance, etc. Also allows drivers to be flexible and choose their own hours, or so they say. Some taxi companies operate the same way, drivers are independent contractors who own their own cars, but the way taxi companies operate varies a lot from city to city.

Anyways, getting back to why all the Uber drivers in NYC have black cars, part of it is tradition. I know when I was up there a few years ago(before Uber), you had yellow cabs or black cars(mostly Town Cars or big SUV's at that time). Yellow cab had a meter and smelled bad, black car was usually a chauffer, you called the company and reserved the car, paid a by the hour type of fee thing. So part of its tradition, maybe a status thing as well for some people to arrive in a black car vs a yellow cab. I know Uber offers a service called "Uber Black" where the driver can charge a lot more $$$$ for having a black "luxury" car/suv to pick you up in. I don't know what the stipulations are, but that might be another reason all the Uber guys drive black cars.
Old 08-21-16, 03:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Uber doesn't own a single car, they're owned by the drivers who are independent contractors for Uber. Allows uber to not pay overtime, provide benefits, insurance, etc. Also allows drivers to be flexible and choose their own hours, or so they say. Some taxi companies operate the same way, drivers are independent contractors who own their own cars, but the way taxi companies operate varies a lot from city to city.

Anyways, getting back to why all the Uber drivers in NYC have black cars, part of it is tradition. I know when I was up there a few years ago(before Uber), you had yellow cabs or black cars(mostly Town Cars or big SUV's at that time). Yellow cab had a meter and smelled bad, black car was usually a chauffer, you called the company and reserved the car, paid a by the hour type of fee thing. So part of its tradition, maybe a status thing as well for some people to arrive in a black car vs a yellow cab. I know Uber offers a service called "Uber Black" where the driver can charge a lot more $$$$ for having a black "luxury" car/suv to pick you up in. I don't know what the stipulations are, but that might be another reason all the Uber guys drive black cars.
Thanks. I haven't used the Uber system and am not that familiar with it. That doesn't surprise me, though.......$$$$$ usually talk.