Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Warranty for Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 06:48 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Warranty for Corolla

At one time I was on a TOYOTA forum, but they reset the passwords so I figured someone here could help me. We have a 2014 Corolla that will be exactly 3 years old on August 31st. Should I buy a Toyota warranty? And if so, about how much should I expect to pay. And is there an internet source (dealer away from my area...Pittsburgh) who might offer the best deal? The car has 25,000 miles or so on it and I am the original owner.
Old 08-13-16, 07:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Any car, of course, is somewhat of a gamble. But Corollas, in general, are much more reliable than the average car. If you have proper service and maintenance done, at the proper intervals, you are not likely to use the warranty very much, if at all. Of course, if you have more peace of mind actually having an extended warranty, that is a different matter.
Old 08-13-16, 07:36 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally wouldn't do it. But like the above poster said, it's all up to you really. The Corolla is generally a very reliable car so to me it's a waste of money to get a warranty. However, you never know if maybe you got a lemon and something goes wrong down the line. In which case a warranty would be great.. But like I said, it's a Toyota Corolla, a very reliable car. I think there's only like a 5% chance you will ever even use it. But then again 5% doesn't mean it won't happen... Good luck
Old 08-13-16, 07:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
At one time I was on a TOYOTA forum, but they reset the passwords so I figured someone here could help me. We have a 2014 Corolla that will be exactly 3 years old on August 31st. Should I buy a Toyota warranty? And if so, about how much should I expect to pay. And is there an internet source (dealer away from my area...Pittsburgh) who might offer the best deal? The car has 25,000 miles or so on it and I am the original owner.
Unless you've had problems with the car, I'd never get an extended warranty for a Toyota product. That's their selling point, right? Great reliability.

If you feel you must get it, I think you want to recover your password or create a new login on the Toyota site--I'm sure they have great info on cost, and a contacts where you can get the best pricing.
Old 08-13-16, 08:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Unless you've had problems with the car, I'd never get an extended warranty for a Toyota product. That's their selling point, right? Great reliability.

If you feel you must get it, I think you want to recover your password or create a new login on the Toyota site--I'm sure they have great info on cost, and a contacts where you can get the best pricing.
You are right on about reliability being the Toyota selling point. I also firmly believe that the cheaper Toyota are perhaps a little more reliable than the higher end stuff as they usually do not have the newest state of the art tech. Plus, it's the gateway to the Toyota brand so it better leave a very good first impression
Old 08-13-16, 01:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
At one time I was on a TOYOTA forum, but they reset the passwords so I figured someone here could help me.
there's usually a 'forgot password' option?

We have a 2014 Corolla that will be exactly 3 years old on August 31st. Should I buy a Toyota warranty? And if so, about how much should I expect to pay. And is there an internet source (dealer away from my area...Pittsburgh) who might offer the best deal? The car has 25,000 miles or so on it and I am the original owner.
i don't think you should buy an extended warranty on a corolla with only 25k mi. on it in 3 years. so in 3 more years you might have 50k total on it? let's say the 3 year warranty extension costs $900 so that's $300/yr. i think many here would agree it's HIGHLY unlikely you'll need $300 worth of warranty work each year with such low mileage.

given how reliable the corolla is, and assuming you plan to keep it a long time, you might consider putting it in your will.
Old 08-14-16, 06:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extended warranty is always a good idea unless the car is known for its reliability, like Corolla. I wouldn't even bother if I have one. Aftermarket warranty prob cost around 1200-1800 for your car. But I really doubt there could be anything go wrong before the 100k mark, and even if it does, it prob won't cost that much to repair.
Old 08-14-16, 07:00 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you buy your 2014 Corolla new or second-hand? If you bought new -- and I do not mean to say "I told you so" -- it would probably have been cheaper to buy an extended warranty when the car was new than to purchase for a 3-year old car.

Have you had any problems -- any warranty issues -- on the car?

How long will you continue owning and driving this car? Do you intend to drive it until you can no longer drive it or do you foresee trading it in within the next few years?

Is this Corolla your first Toyota product? If it is not your first Toyota, what has been your experience with previous Toyotas -- did you have any warranty issues or any issues post-warranty that you wish you had purchased extended coverage for?

Answering these questions may help you decide whether you should purchase an extended warranty.

What I am really asking you to ask yourself is this: Will purchasing an extended warranty give you piece of mind? Will it help you sleep at night? If you are worried, then buy the extended warranty and treat it as insurance in case something does go wrong.

If you are not particularly worried about the reliability and durability of the car -- as others have said, which I agree with, the Corolla is a very reliable and durable car -- buying an extended warranty may be seen as a waste of money.
Old 08-14-16, 07:07 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Years ago, when I got my first car, a very basic Corolla, I did not purchase an extended warranty. When I traded it in for a Camry 8 years later, I did purchase an extended warranty when new because I was worried about the added complexity over the Corolla. I had no warranty problems with either car.

I have only driven Toyota products since then and have not purchased extended warranties on any of them and have had no problems. Admittedly, I do lease, but I lease not because I am worried about the reliability and durability of my cars, I lease for financial reasons.
Old 08-15-16, 12:06 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fun fact, the warranty for a Corolla would be so cheap!

i just priced quotes between my coworker's 15' MDX with 42000 miles, and my 15' X6M with 4255 miles:

MDX: 1265 for 100k/84 months
X6M: 5377 for 100k/84 months... lMAO!!!!!
Old 08-15-16, 07:11 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Did you buy your 2014 Corolla new or second-hand? If you bought new -- and I do not mean to say "I told you so" -- it would probably have been cheaper to buy an extended warranty when the car was new than to purchase for a 3-year old car.

Have you had any problems -- any warranty issues -- on the car?

How long will you continue owning and driving this car? Do you intend to drive it until you can no longer drive it or do you foresee trading it in within the next few years?

Is this Corolla your first Toyota product? If it is not your first Toyota, what has been your experience with previous Toyotas -- did you have any warranty issues or any issues post-warranty that you wish you had purchased extended coverage for?

Answering these questions may help you decide whether you should purchase an extended warranty.

What I am really asking you to ask yourself is this: Will purchasing an extended warranty give you piece of mind? Will it help you sleep at night? If you are worried, then buy the extended warranty and treat it as insurance in case something does go wrong.

If you are not particularly worried about the reliability and durability of the car -- as others have said, which I agree with, the Corolla is a very reliable and durable car -- buying an extended warranty may be seen as a waste of money.
Why would you try to negotiate a new car warranty at the time of purchase? That`s the worst time to buy them, since FI guys know its a huge source of profit, plus most customers are most vulnerable to fear tactics. Plus whatever "discount" you think you can get at the time is basically peanuts.

Personally historically speaking, Toyota Corollas are pretty basic cars, and by basic cars they can be worked on by a DIYer to an expert. This means their cost of labor is extremely less then any other car. Tires for these cars can be had for $20 per wheel, batteries $100, alternator $50, etc etc. They have simple parts, simple mechanisms. The things that are worrying are usually already on their forums if need be.

For the OP, if you are a worry wart, then by all means DUMP AS MUCH MONEY INTO THE WARRANTY AS POSSIBLE. GET a 1000 year warranty for all it means. Just be diligent in what you doo. If thus far in the past 25000 miles all you have to put into the car are oil changes, wipers and inspection stickers.....Then I would just put that money you`d invest into the warranty into a rainy day fund.

However if you have been in the service bay for tons of other crap, then it would be a sound investment for a warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle for longer then 100k. I would shop around warranty prices with dealers, right before the factory warranty is set to expire. Make sure you read the contract, and not a brochure about what is covered (infotainment is a big expense), what is not covered. Hopefully you get one from Toyota and not some third party.
Old 08-15-16, 09:04 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Why would you try to negotiate a new car warranty at the time of purchase? That`s the worst time to buy them, since FI guys know its a huge source of profit, plus most customers are most vulnerable to fear tactics. Plus whatever "discount" you think you can get at the time is basically peanuts.
In my experience, the dealership gives a discount on an extended warranty at the time of purchase of a new vehicle; it is something that the finance people always push when you go into the back office to sign the paperwork.
Old 08-16-16, 09:51 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
In my experience, the dealership gives a discount on an extended warranty at the time of purchase of a new vehicle; it is something that the finance people always push when you go into the back office to sign the paperwork.
Maybe true for your set experience. Just the few dealership offers I have gotten during my FI visit were terrible and left a sour memory. Just a few dollars off, and nothing when compared to shopping around dealerships online. Lots of dealerships love to sell warranties out of state. Albeit nowdays the regulations are stricter, and they do require the keyfob to register the warranty, but still saved a ton over paying for something in the FI court.
Old 08-16-16, 02:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Its a Corolla, probably one of the most reliable cars on the market right now. Save your $$$$ and skip the warranty, just maintain it to the factory schedule and you should be good to go.