IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extended Warranty: Got a letter in the mail...advise me

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 07:20 PM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty: Got a letter in the mail...advise me

I just hit 67,000 miles and I got a letter in the mail about buying a Platinum Warranty. There aren't any prices in the letter they give me a number to call.

What do you guys advise?
Old 03-19-12, 07:39 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

If your past the 50k factory warranty this letter isnt valid. Unless there hurting for your money.
Old 03-19-12, 08:07 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i purchased the extended warranty when i bought my car, and it goes for 100k... who knows... give them a call and see what they say..
Old 03-19-12, 08:31 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that letter isnt for an actual lexus warranty. If you need one go into a toyota or lexus dealer and ask them who they use as their 3rd party extended warranty company. If you were extending the original warranty then best deal is MidWest Toyota
Old 03-20-12, 06:36 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
I just hit 67,000 miles and I got a letter in the mail about buying a Platinum Warranty. There aren't any prices in the letter they give me a number to call.

What do you guys advise?
I'd be interested in actually seeing the letter, because it's Lexus' stated policy that you can only purchase a Platinum Extended Warranty (VSA) while still under factory warranty (4 yr/50k), unless it's at the time of purchase from a Lexus dealer. I have heard of exceptions, but it's been 1) rare, 2) only at the pointed request of the owner, and 2) very shortly after the expiration of the factory warranty.

Here's the website for these extended VSA warranties: http://www.lexusfinancial.com/consum...ifitComparison

It clearly states here that:

Lexus Extra Care plans for Lexus Used vehicles can be purchased only at time of used vehicle sale.

The reason they do this is because if it's at the time of used vehicle sale, they can inspect the used car prior to sale and ensure it's in relatively good condition and doesn't have pre-existing problems, etc. Imagine if you treated your car terribly, never maintained it, and parts were failing left and right. If Lexus didn't have the above policy, you could just call and buy a warranty and then get everything fixed under it.

So without more information, I can fairly definitively say that letter's either 1) incorrect, 2) a scam, or 3) from a third-party company.
Old 03-20-12, 07:20 AM
NimaM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I purchased Lexus Platinum extended warranty for my 06 IS at 57k miles. They did a complete inspection of my car. I also had done all maintenances at Lexus dealer.
Old 03-20-12, 01:57 PM
DKnight350
Pole Position

I do not trust those extended warranty offers. I would only trust the dealerships and according to consumer reports - save your money. You did buy one of the most reliable car brands, why pay extra to cover it?

If I had a BMW I would consider the added coverage, but not a Toyota or Lexus.
Old 03-20-12, 02:56 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

if your car is good until now, it will be good for the next 100K miles. don't buy extended warranty.
Old 03-21-12, 06:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I highly recommend the extended lexus (not 3rd party) warranty if you're able to get it for the cheaper prices some of the online folks like Jerry Johnson offer it for.

While I'm pretty confident the car itself will keep running for a long long time there's a lot of little fancy things on the car prone to failure with stupidly expensive bills attached.
Mostly you could not fix them and you'd still have a running car, but it'd be nice for everything to keep working not just the engine, right?

See all the folks with blown ML subs...that's a $600 fix at the dealer

See the guys whose rear view mirror is, well, peeling or something and missed out on the mirror TSIB.... that's a $900 fix at the dealer

See the dozens of folks who've posted about fading dash needles, that's a $1000+ fix at the dealer.

See the dozens of folks with nav screens not working right anymore, that's a $2000+ fix at the dealer

See all the folks with 250s and carbon buildup issues... or the folks getting the cam gear rattle outside of warranty...

and while some of these can be done cheaper if you DIY, it's pretty cheap insurance to get the lexus warranty at barely above cost to cover em (plus the off chance something serious might come up)
Old 03-21-12, 10:57 AM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have gotten a couple of those, they are not 3rd party companies, if you need to purchase any warranty at all get if from the dealer, lexus/toyota. Its gonna cost a lil bit more but totally worth it. Perfect example is how kurtz explained it above.
Old 05-03-12, 11:19 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Well, I highly recommend the extended lexus (not 3rd party) warranty if you're able to get it for the cheaper prices some of the online folks like Jerry Johnson offer it for.

While I'm pretty confident the car itself will keep running for a long long time there's a lot of little fancy things on the car prone to failure with stupidly expensive bills attached.
Mostly you could not fix them and you'd still have a running car, but it'd be nice for everything to keep working not just the engine, right?

See all the folks with blown ML subs...that's a $600 fix at the dealer

See the guys whose rear view mirror is, well, peeling or something and missed out on the mirror TSIB.... that's a $900 fix at the dealer

See the dozens of folks who've posted about fading dash needles, that's a $1000+ fix at the dealer.

See the dozens of folks with nav screens not working right anymore, that's a $2000+ fix at the dealer

See all the folks with 250s and carbon buildup issues... or the folks getting the cam gear rattle outside of warranty...

and while some of these can be done cheaper if you DIY, it's pretty cheap insurance to get the lexus warranty at barely above cost to cover em (plus the off chance something serious might come up)
How much should I expect to pay and how do I get the warranty?
Old 05-03-12, 11:24 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinda
How much should I expect to pay and how do I get the warranty?
Depends on the warranty you want... you can get 6, 7, or 8 years... and you can get 75k, 100k, even 125k miles.

The shorter or lower miles ones start around 1000-1200 I think... the 8 yr/125k is probably gonna be more like 2000-2500.

Miles seems what drives the price up more (which makes sense of course) so even an 8 yr if you get 75k miles, is on the lower end... depends how you use/drive the car of course.

Jerry Johnson was the best price when I got mine, but troy dietrich and toby rivers are known to have good pricing too.

Do a search on the name and you'll find contact info for all 3, get quotes for your car and the various yr/mile lengths and then pick the one you want.
Old 05-03-12, 12:29 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I just got 7yr/100k from Jerry Johnson. I also got a quote from Toby Rivers, but he was a smidge higher.
I found my dealing with Jerry very straight forward. No hassles, ho haggles.
Old 05-03-12, 12:36 PM
zen
Pole Position

go for the warranty from Lexus/Toyota. it gives a peace of mind that you're covered for all the little things that you don't need to spend money to fix down the road.
Old 05-10-12, 11:50 AM
Zinda
Lexus Test Driver

Does it matter that I am around 68K miles right now?

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty: Got a letter in the mail...advise me