Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Alex on Autos raves about MKX

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 01:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Alex on Autos raves about MKX

Alex on Autos newest you tube video covers the MKX and he gives it a rave review. The 22 way seat, he rates as 11 out of 10 for comfort. He gives it an A for performance, and braking, an A- for handling, and A+ for both ride and noise. It did, however, score only a C for gas mileage.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 05-09-16 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-05-16, 02:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Alex on Autos newest you tube video covers the MKX and he gives it a rave review. The 22 way seat, he rates as 11 out of 10 for comfort. He gives it an A for performance, and braking, an A- for handling, and A+ for both ride and noise. It did, however, score only a C for gas mileage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMo6...em-subs_digest
CR recently did a Road Test on the new MKX and gave it a very good review/score, I fared better than the RX and X5 etc. One of the main negatives was fuel economy. They liked the 2.7 Eco Boost in the vehicle but said it was more boost than eco.
Old 05-05-16, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A superb review. This guy is good ....and I say that as a reviewer myself. There isn't much he misses.....especially compared to the way some others I've seen on Youtube do reviews. The only area where I (slightly) disagree with him is that he may (?) be over-rating the potential reliability of MKX and the upcoming Cadillac XT5 vs. the Lexus RX, which has a solid history of excellent reliability. He did correctly point out, though, that the Lincoln's general fit/finish level, though good, wasn't quite up to the RX's standard.

Though I like Motorweek's John Davis for his character/mannerisms and the fact that he is personally such a nice guy to talk to (I've met him and talked with him several times), this guy Alex is probably a better out-and-out reviewer. John, though, is time-limited on the weekly Autoweek show, and doesn't have the time to do lengthy reviews on the air as thoroughly as the ones Alex does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-05-16 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 10:21 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Alex has been doing reviews for years, and I agree, he does a great job of being thorough and unbiased. His reviews goes over alot of everyday practical topics as well as talking about performance of the cars too.
Old 05-08-16, 12:29 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh please. Is the MKX finally a respectable vehicle from Lincoln? Yes. Is it better than the competition? No

A for performance, A- for handling? What is this dude on?

I find that Motorweek compliments cars more than they deserve, but their review was certainly more realistic than this guy's. Don't tell me a vehicle that shares platforms with a Ford Edge has excellent handling and performance.
Old 05-08-16, 02:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

In the segment, as they see it, C&D ranks the new Edge #2. Grand Cherokee, Edge, Murano, Sorrento and 4Runner. They feel the Edge is improved.

I like Alex On Autos reviews but they go get lengthy. Although, if one is seriously looking at a particular vehicle, the detail would come in handy.
Old 05-08-16, 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Oh please. Is the MKX finally a respectable vehicle from Lincoln? Yes. Is it better than the competition? No
The segment for the MKX is competitive enough that all the cars in the segment of very good. Personal brand preference is likely bigger factor is closing a sale than the actual vehicle performance.

. Don't tell me a vehicle that shares platforms with a Ford Edge has excellent handling and performance.
Looking at the performance numbers at Car and Driver, the MKX is a far superior vehicle than the RX350 which is based on the Highlander.
Old 05-08-16, 04:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A for performance, A- for handling? What is this dude on?

Don't tell me a vehicle that shares platforms with a Ford Edge has excellent handling and performance.
Well, with all due respect, he has driven the vehicle.....apparently for a fair number of miles. Have you? You are entitled to your own opinion, of course (as we all are)....... but unless you have actually test-driven it for yourself, I wouldn't criticize the findings of someone else, especially someone with this man's talent for reviewing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-08-16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Looking at the performance numbers at Car and Driver, the MKX is a far superior vehicle than the RX350 which is based on the Highlander.

The RX, though, does come with somewhat better fit/finish, and better potential reliability, though the MKX has some impressive trim inside and, overall, is worlds better than its predecessor.
Old 05-08-16, 09:22 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

You'd have to be nuts to only look at car magazine figures before buying a car. The slower, heavier, lower-skidpad-figure RX would have much better reliability and a higher resale value compared to the MKX. That's one reason why I've stopped buying or even reading car magazines, they frequently have no idea what real world buyers are looking for.
Old 05-08-16, 11:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The 22 way seat in the MKX makes long trips more comfortable and the lower noise level and smoother ride help, so the MKX is a more desirable long range cruiser than the RX. Ford manages the resale issue with low lease rates so the issue for me remains the reliability. Although the RX will be better, if the MKX is pretty good, the difference will be minimal. My ES lease is up in July and I had planned to go to an RX, but it is so ugly I'm not sure I can do that. The MKX is a viable alternative. The difference in favor of the MDX is that incredible 22 way seat. The performance of the 2.7 turbo is gravy.
Steve
Old 05-09-16, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chromedome
You'd have to be nuts to only look at car magazine figures before buying a car. The slower, heavier, lower-skidpad-figure RX would have much better reliability and a higher resale value compared to the MKX. That's one reason why I've stopped buying or even reading car magazines, they frequently have no idea what real world buyers are looking for.
Agreed. Real-world buyers, in general, tend to be much less sport-oriented than the auto press and the enthusiast magazines.They couldn't care less about ultimate 0-60, skidpad, braking, or slalom figures.

Of course, on the other hand, power can come in useful even if you don't typically drive with a heavy foot. Having a turbo or extra HP/torque can help at high altitudes, where, because of thinner air, engines typically lose power compared to sea level.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-09-16 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-09-16, 07:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
The 22 way seat in the MKX makes long trips more comfortable and the lower noise level and smoother ride help, so the MKX is a more desirable long range cruiser than the RX. Ford manages the resale issue with low lease rates so the issue for me remains the reliability. Although the RX will be better, if the MKX is pretty good, the difference will be minimal. My ES lease is up in July and I had planned to go to an RX, but it is so ugly I'm not sure I can do that. The MKX is a viable alternative. The difference in favor of the MDX is that incredible 22 way seat. The performance of the 2.7 turbo is gravy.
Steve
I've been looking at the MKX and XT5 as possible replacements for our Q5. Of the two I prefer the MKX for a variety of reasons, but since I buy my cars I'm not sure when it came time to buy that I could actually pull the trigger on a Lincoln or Caddy. Time will tell though.
Old 05-09-16, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm not sure when it came time to buy that I could actually pull the trigger on a Lincoln or Caddy. Time will tell though.
Well, you bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on an Audi, didn't you?.................a brand that, until recently, was known for serious electrical and other problems. (I hope, of course, that your Q5 was at least reasonably reliable),
Old 05-09-16, 03:01 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, with all due respect, he has driven the vehicle.....apparently for a fair number of miles. Have you? You are entitled to your own opinion, of course (as we all are)....... but unless you have actually test-driven it for yourself, I wouldn't criticize the findings of someone else, especially someone with this man's talent for reviewing.
That's an irrelevant argument. I don't have to have driven a Ferrari or Porsche to know it's good, and I don't have to have owned a BMW to know they are expensive to maintain (I have though).

When you are saying a vehicle has A-/A performance and handling then you're claiming it's the performance benchmark in its class. I know enough about cars to understand that that's BS. A vehicle that's essentially FWD-based Ford Edge under the skin is not the performance benchmark of its class. Nobody else has raved about this car's performance but this guy.

And I have had the latest Ford Edge as a rental car and fun to drive it was not.

Quick Reply: Alex on Autos raves about MKX