Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4

By CL member-request, a Review of the all-new 2017 Audi A4.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a4

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...rX_lowres2.pdf

IN A NUTSHELL: All-new, bread-and-butter fifth generation A4, same superb Audi fit/finish.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: BMW 3-Series, Mercedes C-Class, Lexus IS, Infiniti Q50, Cadillac ATS, Volvo S60, Jaguar XE, Lincoln MKZ, Acura TLX.

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

OVERVIEW:

To its credit, American Motors (AMC), in 1981, with the Eagle Wagon and Eagle SX-4, was the first auto manufacturer to come up with the idea of a unit-body car with a viscous center-differential, raised-suspension, and car-based all-wheel-drive (AWD). But the AMC Eagles, though innovative and pioneering, were poorly-built and unreliable. So, after AMC's collapse later in the 1980s, Audi and Subaru were the two manufacturers that really took off with that idea and perfected it for long-term use and reliability....though Subaru managed to perfect it in cars that were generally less-expensive and more reliable than the Audis. Nevertheless, Audi's Quattro and Subaru's Symmetrical AWD systems made it possible for the auto-buying masses to have traction, sure-footedness, and security in all kinds of weather. Most of the auto industry today, even with SUVs, uses center-differential-based AWD systems, although some manufacturers have developed newer and/or more sophisticated systems of their own, like AWD hybrid systems, Acura's torque-vectoring SH (Super-Handling) AWD, and putting individual electric motors at each rear wheel.

Although Audi, today, in the American market, (notwithstanding the current VW/Audi diesel-emission scandal), is developing a steadily-improving reputation each year for quality and reliaibility, it was not always so. In the mid-1980s, while Audi was still perfecting the Quattro system, their American-market 5000 series (which was actually the 100 series re-nemed for the U.S.) came under media attack from some controversial interviews and stages set up by CBS in their 60 minutes TV show. The 5000 (supposedly) had unintended acceleration of the type that Toyota and Lexus was accused of some 25 years later, and Audi had been sued by some owners. CBS admitted that they had staged at least some of the report (as NBC also later admitted with their report on the Chevy/GMC trucks' side-exposed fuel-tank). Nevertheless, great damage was done to Audi's reputation in the U.S., which took years to recover from. I remember test-driving at least one or two of the 5000 series, and, especially given the car's cost, even with the good AWD system, I was not impressed at all with the way it was built, being squeak/creak/rattle-prone and with a number of loose or poorly-attched parts. Audi, did, of course (and with some models, still does) offer regular front-wheel-drive (FWD) for those who don't need the extra traction. After the 5000 debacle, the company was so stressed in the U.S. that it came within a hair of packing up and leaving the American market.

Enter the A4, which changed all of that. Audi's A4 series (which actually succeeded the 80-series, not the 100), was introduced to the American market in October of 1994, and immediately started boosting the company's image, though the stereotype of poor reliability, expensive and indifferent dealer service, and low resale value was to continue to dog the company for some years. Over the years, though with fewer different engines than in Europe, a number of different A4 versions were released and sold in the U.S., including a four-door sedan, five-door Avant Wagon, the high-performance S4, ultra-high-performance RS-4, and a special raised-suspension version of the Avant called the All-Road, which competed with the Volvo XC-70 Cross-Country and, to a lesser extent, the less-expensive Subaru Outback. A less-expensive derivative of the A4's platform and drivetrains was also marketed as the VW Passat...though the current U.S. version of Passat was specifically designed for the American market and is markedly different from the European version.

In the last few years, though, according to Consumer Reports, Audi's American-market reliability, after years of reputation of being money-pits, has risen sharply. Not long ago near the bottom of reliability-ratings as a brand, it ranked #3 last year among all U.S.-market manufacturers, trailing only Lexus and Toyota (yep....a long way from the mid-1980s)...and, this year, ranks at the top, #1, when reliability and performance are both taken into account. (CR changed their rating system some this year, which accounts for the additional bounce). The A4 has also made some significant inroads into the long-dominance of the BMW 3-series in the German sport-sedan market, though so has the latest Mercedes C-class, which is also getting excellent reviews. (Mercedes, though, as a brand, has not reached Audi's present level of reliability yet).

For 2017, in the American market, Audi introduces a (code B9) fifth-generation of the A4 series. Among the A4 itself, it still is four-door sedan only in the American market, though Audi will sell you a similiar-sized, 5-door wagon-body All-Road version of the A4 with a raised-suspension and AWD for bad weather if you need one, or, of course, the Q5 mid-size SUV. The new high-performance S4 version will be coming to Europe later in the year, though Audi has not yet introduced a firm date for the American market.

Meanwhile, in the American market, the 2017 A4 will offer one engine for now (the ubiquitous 2.0L turbo in-line four gas engine that has been around for years, but is still one of my favorites), and one transmission...the slick S-Tronic 7-speed dual-clutch auto-manual that, in earlier versions, was one of my favorites. The 2.0L turbo produces 252 HP and 273 ft-lbs. of torque....but, with the efficient S-Tronic gearbox, sometimes actually feels stronger (more on that later). I'm glad to see Audi stick with this transmission in the American market....there was earlier talk of discontinuing it because of its complexity and difficulty of service/repairs. Until (and if) the new High-Performance American-market S4 comes along, three trim-levels will be offered this year.....Premium ($37,300), Premium-Plus ($41,100), and Prestige ($45,900). All three levels come with a choice of Front or Quattro All-Wheel Drive. I asked if any A4 diesels are temporarily on hold because of the Audi/VW emissions-scandal, but the Audi reps said that would only affect the A3 diesels. Audi (apparently) has no intention of marketing any A4 diesels in the U.S. market.

For the review, as usual, I sampled a few different interiors. For the test-drive itself, as the specific review-request was for a FWD version (not a Quattro AWD), that is what I chose......a black Premium FWD version with black leather. That is certainly not a color combination I would choose for my own personal car, but FWD models were not as readily in stock as Quattros. And this one, despite its not-cheap 43K sticker-price, was actually more reasonably-priced than most of the other new A4s there, which often listed for 50K or more.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2017 Audi A4 Premium FWD S-Tronic

BASE PRICE: $37,300

OPTIONS:

MMI-NAV Plus Package: $2400

Convenience Package: $900

18" Wheel Package: $800

Heated Front Seats: $500 (IMO, these should be standard in a car of this price)

Parking System Plus: $500

All Weather Floor Mats: $190

USB Cables: $120 (Something else that should probably be standard)

Audi First Aid Kit: $45 (these are standard in some of the A4's competitors)

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $950 (generally too high, IMO, for a vehicle this size, but that may reflect the fact that they have to come all the way from Europe.

CREDIT on Parking System -$500

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $43,205

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Longitudinally-mounted 2.0L turbo in-line four, 252 HP @ 5000-6000RPM, Torque 273 Ft-lbs. @ 1600-4500RPM, 7-speed dual-clutch S-Tronic auto-manual transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: Audi had some preliminary numbers on the sticker (33 / 23 / 27)...but these are not official or EPA-released yet. Still, EPA-official or not, the new A4s are officially on sale.

EXTERIOR COLOR: Brilliant Black

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Improving reliability record.

Audi now top-rated overall auto-brand by Consumer Reports.

Superb fit/finish inside and out.

Spunky 2.0L turbo 4.

Silky-smooth transmission.

Excellent ride/handling combination in all drive modes.

Pleasant to drive on most road surfaces.

Superb wind and road-noise control.

Mostly high-quality materials inside and out.

Multi-programmable gauge-panel on some models.

Firm but very comfortable front seats.

Well-finished cargo area.

Excellent (though sometimes expensive) selection of exterior paint colors.

Several different interior colors/trims offered.

MINUSES:

High-line models get pricey, especially with options.

Drive-mode selector (seems) more of a gimmick than a true power/suspension adjuster.

Somewhat bumpy engine start/stop feature in traffic.

No traditional 3-pedal manual transmission in the American market for enthusiasts.

Somewhat complex control layout.

New-for-2017 electronic shift-lever not as intuitive as the old shifter.

Good but not excellent stereo sound-quality for the price.

Borderline headroom and rear legroom for tall persons.

Rather expensive service and repairs when the warranty expires.

4/50 bumper-to-bumper and drivetrain warranties not as generous as with most non-European competitors.

Resale value (because of the VW/Audi emissions-scandal) may be affected, even if not a diesel model.

EXTERIOR:

Although the 5th-generation A4 is all new, this latest version is still quite easily recognized as not only a new A4 but a general member of the Audi sedan family. Audi tends to be conservative in how they both style and re-style most of their sedans, so you (usually) don't see very big changes from one year to the next. This new A4 is no exception, keeping the general outline and body-stying of the former, with only minor tweaks. Up front, bi-Xenon main headlights combine with a strip of LED daytime running-lights. The same superb fit/finish and slick, polished sheet-metal/trim work that Audi is known for (perhaps even better) is continued from previous models. The sheet metal feels like it was worked and shaped with laser-precision, using a nice grade of the metal itself. And Audi gets big kudos on their wide selection of paint colors.....thirteen standard colors, though many of them cost $575 extra. According to the brochure, for an extra $3900, you can choose from an array of factory special-order colors...including one of my long-time favorites, purple (Amythist). IMO, more manufacturers need to start doing this, though that admittedly may be a stiff extra price to pay just to have a car that doesn't look like the Jones's. Of course, at least part of that added expense may be justified when you consider that a fair amount of extra work is involved at the factory in painting special-order colors. The assembly line has to stop while the color-pigments are prepared, paint-guns and applicators cleaned out, treated, and re-filled, then the process reversed when the special-order cars are done.

Almost everything on the outside of the new A4 feels like it was worked and assembled by Santa's Elves with loving precision....paint, trim, chrome, mirror-housings, panel-fits, door-closings.....you name it. The doors have a generally heavy feel, made of solid materials.....somewhat like those on the Ford Fusion, except with better fit/finish. The paint jobs, in smoothness and gloss, rank among the few in mass-production vehicles that can compare to those of Toyota/Lexus....Porsche also does an excellent job. The old door handles pulled straight out......the new ones pull out and up instead.

Complaints outside? Only two minor ones. First, there are no standard body-side moldings to protect from parking-lot dings (one might be offered as an accessory)....and you certainly don't want to mess up that nice paint job. I suspect at least some A4 owners will park at the end of the parking lot and just walk. Second, the awkward and over-sized Audi grille, IMO, looks like a monster-fish ready to gulp up small children...but that has been an Audi trademark now for a number of years, with no signs of any change coming soon.

UNDERHOOD:

Unlatch and raise the finely-crafted hood, and two nice gas-struts hold it up for you....hidden away in coverings. There is a very large underhood insulation pad. Underneath, the basic engine layout and underhood space (a longitudinal layout with FWD/AWD, which is unusual except for the Subaru boxer-engines) is not the worst I've seen in this class for do-it-yourselfers, but is clearly not intended for shade-tree mechanics. Of course, most car owners today, given the complexity of modern vehicles, don't do much, if any, of their own work anyway. As with most upmarket vehicles (and even some entry-level ones), the engine has a large plastic cover which blocks top-access. Some engine components can be reached below or on the sides,but the basic fit is rather tight. Two V-angular half-braces, in the back, provide added rigidity for the front suspension and unibody. Some non engine components are easily accessable; other are under covers or lids. The battery is back in the trunk for more even weight-distribution. Dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reseervois are readily accessible. As the hood is lowered, it shuts with en extremely precise thunk.......more so than with most vehicles.

INTERIOR:

The A4's interior, like the exterior, is one of the industry benchmarks in its class for fit/finish and quality materials. Almost nothing looked or felt cheap except for the hard-plastic sun-visors....and even those were made of a thick, durable-grade plastic. Several different interior colors and trim-patterns are offered....as usual, I tended to prefer the wood over the metallic. The flat-black stalks for turn-signals and wipers, like those in many German-designed cars, felt light and unsubstantial in themselves, but moved and clicked with fluid-precision. Almost all of the *****/buttons and controls worked with a precise, well-damped feel, although the control layout itself was rather complex and sometimes difficult to figure out...another trademark of some German-designed interiors. The upright NAV screen has a tacked-on look to it, but felt firmly attached, with no looseness. Depending on how it was set up, you could get either a GPS map or an actual Bird's-Eye camera/satellite-view of your surroundings. The primary gauges, behind the steering wheel, could be electronically programed in a number of different analog/digital formats, and/or share a map-screen with them. The two secondary fuel and temperature gauges were actually set into the plastic trim-surrunding of the main gauge-panel....something I don't think I've ever seen before. The smooth steering wheel leather cover was extremely comfortable to hold and grip, and the wheel itself was smartly-designed. The front seat cushions themselves were somewhat on the firm side, but the softish leather still managed to feel comfortable for my large frame, with some cushiness. Headroom in front, under the sunroof housing, was a little tight for tall persons, and was borderline for my 6' 2" frame and baseball cap, even with the seat cushions adjusted all the way down. In back, scalloped-out areas in the ceiling and headliner, above each seat, helped headroom a little, but it was still tight for tall persons, and entry/exit to the rear seats, like with many of today's droop-roof sedans, may involve some head-banging. Scalloped-out areas in the back of the front seats helped rear legroom a little, but it is still marginal for tall persons....depending, of course, on where the front seats are set. I also didn't care for the complex MMI system, despite improvements from the original versions....that kind of stuff, like with BMW's I-Drive, Cadillac's CUE, Mercedes' COMMAND, Ford/Lincoln's SYNC/MYTouch, and similar systems, is just not my cup of tea. The stereo sound quality was generally good, but not quite as good as I've heard in some of the A4's competitors.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Pop the trunk lid, and it raises and lowers on large covered struts that feel and operate as fluidly-smooth as silk. Like the hood, it closes with an extremely precise thunk instead of the usual dull thud. The raked roofline, common in most of today's sedans, does impact some on the size of the trunk lid, but the car (and rear end) is of a sufficient size that the lid-opening is still large enough for all but the very largest boxes/packages/bags that one would haul on a day-to-day basis. Inside, the cargo compartment is decently-sized, quite well-finished, with a thin but fairly nice grade of black carpeting on the floor and walls, though the carpeting, though nice, IMO isn't quite as nice as what you would expect from the level of fit/finish on the rest of the car. The split-rear seats, of course, fold down to expand the cargo area. There is a ($45) First-Aid it in the trunk.......some of Audi's competitors make the kit standard. Under the floor is the (usual) temporary spare tire. In an effort to improve the vehicle's weight distribution, the engine's battery is also located under the floor.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.0L turbo four with a typical-for-this class button and key/fob, and the engine settles into a nice smooth, quiet idle. The VW / Audi 2.0T, in both TFSI gas and TDI diesel versions (scandal or no scandal), have always been among my favorite four-cylinder powerplants, and this latest gas version is no exception. It is refined, low in NVH (noise/vibration/harshness), responsive, and has more than enough power to get out of its own way, especially in this FWD version of the A4 that lacks the extra weight and drag of the Quattro AWD system. The only thing I didn't particularly like about it was the somewhat bumpy automatic start/stop system which cuts in at idle after the engine warms up a little, to save fuel. You feel a small jolt as the system starts up under gas-pedal pressure. That system can be shut off (which I did after a couple of minutes)...but the small button is low on the dash, relatively hard to reach, and sits right next to the small and almost identical drive-mode button (you have tone careful to hit the forrest one). The four different drive-modes (COMFORT / INDIVIDUAL / AUTO / DYNAMIC) are supposed to vary the powertrain, steering, and suspension response, but I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between the modes. Not that it makes much difference anyway, because, IMO, the engine and suspension perform just fine (by my standards) in all of the modes. No matter where you have the mode-button selected, there's more than enough power for most normal driving, and the suspension produces an excellent ride/handling balance.

The 7-speed dual-clutch transmission, at least in my test car, whether in full-auto or auto-manual mode, performed smoothly and seamlessly....in my experience, VW and Audi dual-clutch units tend to avoid the low-speed hesitation and bumpiness found in those of some competitors. I didn't care for the new electronic console-shifter, though, as much as I did for the older, more traditional shifters in earlier versions. It didn't require as much study beforehand, or practice using it, as the quirky BMW and Mercedes electronic shifters, but it was still, IMO, an unnecessary step down in the user-friendliness department. I'm sad to see that GM looks like it is going to follow suit in some of its new upper-level vehicles.

The new adaptive cruise-control is programmed to take speed-limits and topography into account when maintaining the car's speed, but the system is not foolproof. You still have to be awake enough at the wheel to take into account things like temporary speed-limits for construction, local school zones, hospitals, etc..... or risk Smokey handing you a citation through the window.

The new suspension/steering/chassis is superb, though the electric power-steering doesn't give quite the tactile road-feedback of the (then) best-in-class BMW 3-series. However, it is no secret that BMW has tossed its old superb hydraulic steering racks for its own version of electric power steering....so the Ultimate Driving Machine isn't quite so Ultimate anymore, and no longer Best in Class. The new A4 suspension, by the seat of my pants, not only provided an excellent ride / handling balance in any of the four modes, but actually felt like it was connected to front/rear sub-frames which filtered out a lot of the road-induced NVH (I couldn't actually crawl far enough under this low-slung vehicle to verify that, though). Road noise was remarkably well-controlled, even on the usual porous or grainy surfaces which tend to amplify it (the type of tire tread and rubber-compound can also make a difference). Wind noise was also very well-controlled from the solid and high-quality materials used in the body and doors. Steering response was quick, but not quite as fast as I had expected, and body roll was only very minor. Ride comfort was borderline firm, but firm in a supple and fairly comfortable way...again, I didn't notice much difference in any of the four drive-modes. Again, my conviction that the Germans have the best suspension engineers in the industry seems to be justified. The brakes have the usual German sport-sedan responsiveness and firmness, but the brake pedal itself is a little too high for my big size-15 circus-clown shoe to quickly go from gas to brake without hitting the pedal-edge...I had to be careful to lift it first.

THE VERDICT:

I can remember, back in the 1980s and early 90s, when Audis, despite their advanced Quattro AWD systems, were borderline junk, with creaks, rattles, loose parts, and even electrical gremlins in brand-new vehicles. Today, the company sets one of the industry standards for fit/finish and precise assembly (as they have for a number of years now). Long-term reliability, long an Audi weak point, is also sharply improving. Those bad old days seem to be gone, hopefully for good.

And the new A4 is one of the best examples of that steady improvement. Its quality of assembly, fit/finish, interior materials, equals or exceeds virtually anything I have seen in its price class. Its drivetrain is smooth, peppy, and quite refined by four-cylinder standards. The chassis / steering / suspension is typical German-competent, and can be both athletic and coddling at the same time. The brand, as a whole (just above Subaru), is now ranked first in the American market by Consumer Reports for its overall reliability / road/test / competency combination. Several non-standard colors can be special-ordered, with a factory-quality paint job, if your wallet is deep enough (Yeah, give me that purple LOL).

But, as with any vehicle, there's still room for improvement. First, I'd toss the new electronic shifter and put the old one back in. Second, I'd use a less-garish-looking grille (overly-large grilles are an issue with a number of manufacturers, not just Audi). Third, I'd make the engine start-stop feature optional, not standard...that way the factory saves at least some production costs, and those who don't want it or need it don't have to pay for it. Fourth, take some lessons from the Japanese and Koreans when it comes to designing controls / buttons...the Germans, with their upmarket vehicles, seem to think that the more complex, the better. Last, extend the 4/50 warranty some, at least for the drivetrain. Even my entry-level Verano, which costs roughly half of what a loaded 50K A4 does, has a Buick 6/70 and 4/50 warranty......which equals the 6/70 and 4/50 warranties from Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti. The way new Audis are built, a warranty extension, IMO, is more than justified, especially given the high price of Audi service and repairs. Kia and Hyundai found out, a number of years ago, that the 10/100 and 5/60 warranties were part of the key to sales-increases......even the cheapest 15K Kia Rios and Hyundai Accents have it.

So, no, the new A4 is not cheap...but, IMO, you definitely get what you pay for.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 05:28 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

MM - nice review - type on "10 inch wheel pkg" I think?

Gotta say I am liking the looks of this car more and more....altho I hate the placement of the nav screen.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-21-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 05:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
MM - nice review - type on "10 inch wheel pkg" I think?

Gotta say I am liking the looks of this car more and more.
Yes, Thanks. That should be 18" wheels....corrected.

The last car I can remember with 10" wheels was the old Italian Vespa minicar LOL

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 06:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Gotta say I am liking the looks of this car more and more....altho I hate the placement of the nav screen.
Do you mean where the speedometer is?
Old 03-21-16, 06:32 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, but how does it compare to the legendary buick verano?
Old 03-21-16, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoDarville
Well, to give you a legendary answer, the Verano competes directly with the A3, not the A4....though the Verano is a little more plush inside than the A3, and rides more quietly. The A4 competes more with the Buick Regal GS, as the A6 does with the Buick LaCrosse, although, in all three cases, the Audi costs substantially more.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do you mean where the speedometer is?
There are several different gauge/speedometer configurations, depending on the specific trim-version and package. The Premium version I drove, with the MMI/NAV and Convenience packages, has two large analog-style primary gauges with a smaller screen between them........plus a somewhat tacky-looking rectangular screen above the center of the dash with many of the stereo and climate functions in it.
Old 03-21-16, 07:11 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey brothers probaly seen me say this before I work for Audi and if it's not the s types forget about it and it's all over priced
Old 03-21-16, 07:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott610
Hey brothers probaly seen me say this before I work for Audi and if it's not the s types forget about it and it's all over priced
Overpriced may be a relative term. The new S4 is not out yet (maybe later this year)...but, yes, it is indeed going to cost a good chunk of cash. Don't be surprised if it runs 60-70K. The A4 FWD Premium I sampled today ran 43K with options. That may sound like a lot, but this car has first-class fit/finish, materials, and refinement. Audi obviously doesn't just slap these vehicles together at the plant and roll them out the door as quickly as possuble.
Old 03-21-16, 07:28 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Overpriced may be a relative term. The new S4 is not out yet (maybe later this year)...but, yes, it is indeed going to cost a good chunk of cash. Don't be surprised if it runs 60-70K. The A4 FWD Premium I sampled today ran 43K with options. That may sound like a lot, but this car has first-class fit/finish, materials, and refinement. Audi obviously doesn't just slap these vehicles together at the plant and roll them out the door as quickly as possuble.
If u worked at Audi u would agree with me lol but your money so good luck and make Shure you carry Quartz of oil with u 😆😆😆 and if Audi ever finds out I guess I be collecting un empolyment checks lol but other then the motor burning oil a lot there's other stuff like the tpms being real sensitive and check engine lights are always on low mileage cars even some that rolls right off the 18 wheeler from my experience . If u wipe your butt with this 💰💰💰then just get it and don't say I didn't warn u or anybody looking to get a Audi

Last edited by Scott610; 03-21-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If u worked at Audi u would agree with me lol but your money so good luck and make Shure you carry Quartz of oil with u ������
Well, no offense, but Consumer Reports gets information from owners all over the country, not just one person, and they report steadily improving reliability for most Audi products. And, while no one is perfect, and I myself sometimes make a typo, I would kindly suggest, for you, a quick course in Spelling 101.

Now.....as far as the diesel-emissions scandal, yes, Audi, along with their parent VW company, DOES have problems. But I mentioned that in my review. And all U.S.-market diesels are currently on hold.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 07:49 PM
Scott610
Advanced

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, no offense, but Consumer Reports gets information from owners all over the country, not just one person, and they report steadily improving reliability for most Audi products. And, while no one is perfect, and I myself sometimes make a typo, I would kindly suggest, for you, a quick course in Spelling 101.

Now.....as far as the diesel-emissions scandal, yes, Audi, along with their parent VW company, DOES have problems. But I mentioned that in my review. And all U.S.-market diesels are currently on hold.
Why worry about spelling when u understood everything . It's called slang lol and texting words u must be old lol😂😂😂😂
Old 03-21-16, 08:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Why worry about spelling when u understood everything . It's called slang lol and texting words u must be old lol��������
If you have a question or comment (in English, please) that you want to discuss about this car, fine....I'll be happy to do so. If not, I'm not going to reply to trolling, talk nonsense, or engage in what you consider to be slang.

Have a nice evening.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 09:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
I recently tried out an 2016 Audi TT. Everything is now in the centre cluster, no more screen in the middle of the dash. I will be honest, I did not like the layout and it probably would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 03-21-16, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I recently tried out an 2016 Audi TT. Everything is now in the centre cluster, no more screen in the middle of the dash. I will be honest, I did not like the layout and it probably would be a deal breaker for me.
I tend to agree with you on that. Not having at least one screen in the middle of the dash makes it hard (or impossible) to someone in the right front seat, next to you, to help with (or monitor) the NAV screen while you are driving (in other words, to help navigate).

As you might know, I was a licensed pilot and Ground Instructor, with a number of hours in General Aviation aircraft. While I could (and many times did) fly alone even at night, there were times when it was sure nice to have someone help out with some things over unfamiliar territory, in bad or borderline weather, multi-tasking with several things at once in controlled airspace, or if you were in turbulence and ended up getting a little dizzy. Conversely, I sometimes flew along as co-pilot in larger or more complex planes....and helped out from the right seat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-16 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2017 Audi A4