Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

When a TSB repair becomes a Recall

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-15, 03:16 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Default When a TSB repair becomes a Recall

This is my experience with Lexus and the RX 330 cracking dash. My dash started cracking out of warranty. There was a TSB but no recall. I was able to make a deal with corporate for a 50/50 split of the cost of repair at my Lexus dealer. It was an $1800 repair, my share $900.

A couple years later I got a newer Lexus CPO and instead of trading it in, I sold my RX to Carmax for a good price. Fast forward to 2015 and Lexus decides to make the cracked dash a recall. I spoke to corporate, they informed me I can get a refund of the $900 I had paid for the repair.

Gathering the paperwork for proof to Lexus was a real time consumer. Even though Corporate had a record of the "deal" we had, the "refund department" apparently won't speak to corporate. They have their own procedure to follow.
I had to provide: 1) Proof of repair in the form of the dealer work order. 2) Proof of payment for repair 3) Proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair.

This would have been simple if I still owned the vehicle as I save all records. But I had sold it a couple of years ago and discarded the records since.
SAVE YOUR RECORDS for a TSB repair in case you ever want to apply for a refund if it becomes a recall. LS 460 control arms come to mind as an example.

So, I contacted the dealer several times before I got the copy of the original work order. I was able to go through my online credit card account records (after a special request for 2 year old records) and get proof of payment. I also applied to the state DMV for a copy of my registration during the time of the repair. Dealing with the DMV wasn't easy. All they could give me was a computer printout without a State letterhead. Lexus kept asking me (with a form letter) for proof of ownership but it hadn't occurred to me that the lack of letterhead was the issue. So I kept resubmitting the computer printout. I'm not a mind reader and it took several months to get someone to explain that the lack of letterhead was the issue.
Finally, I called Carfax. They were able to provide a copy of the record of sale. Lexus accepted this.

So, I am awaiting a check in 2-4 weeks. FINALLY While my journey was doable, it was a royal pain. So, I learned to keep my records from now on.
Old 07-30-15, 03:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
This is my experience with Lexus and the RX 330 cracking dash. My dash started cracking out of warranty. There was a TSB but no recall. I was able to make a deal with corporate for a 50/50 split of the cost of repair at my Lexus dealer. It was an $1800 repair, my share $900.

A couple years later I got a newer Lexus CPO and instead of trading it in, I sold my RX to Carmax for a good price. Fast forward to 2015 and Lexus decides to make the cracked dash a recall. I spoke to corporate, they informed me I can get a refund of the $900 I had paid for the repair.

Gathering the paperwork for proof to Lexus was a real time consumer. Even though Corporate had a record of the "deal" we had, the "refund department" apparently won't speak to corporate. They have their own procedure to follow.
I had to provide: 1) Proof of repair in the form of the dealer work order. 2) Proof of payment for repair 3) Proof of ownership of the vehicle at the time of the repair.

This would have been simple if I still owned the vehicle as I save all records. But I had sold it a couple of years ago and discarded the records since.
SAVE YOUR RECORDS for a TSB repair in case you ever want to apply for a refund if it becomes a recall. LS 460 control arms come to mind as an example.

So, I contacted the dealer several times before I got the copy of the original work order. I was able to go through my online credit card account records (after a special request for 2 year old records) and get proof of payment. I also applied to the state DMV for a copy of my registration during the time of the repair. Dealing with the DMV wasn't easy. All they could give me was a computer printout without a State letterhead. Lexus kept asking me (with a form letter) for proof of ownership but it hadn't occurred to me that the lack of letterhead was the issue. So I kept resubmitting the computer printout. I'm not a mind reader and it took several months to get someone to explain that the lack of letterhead was the issue.
Finally, I called Carfax. They were able to provide a copy of the record of sale. Lexus accepted this.

So, I am awaiting a check in 2-4 weeks. FINALLY While my journey was doable, it was a royal pain. So, I learned to keep my records from now on.
Why did you have to go 50/50 with the dealer if there was a TSB that you were eligible for?
Old 07-30-15, 04:02 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because his warranty was out. I was in the same situation with the cam gear made noise.
Old 07-30-15, 04:09 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

A TSB is not a recall. It's just a notification to the service departments at dealerships of a common repair that corporate is aware of. It would be covered if you're still under warranty, I wasn't.
Old 07-30-15, 07:37 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Sometimes I keep my hardcopies, but any Lexus dealer could pull up NSH (National Service History) with a VIN, which indicates any service done at a Lexus dealership.
Old 07-31-15, 01:31 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate TSBs. Stupid cost when out of warranty.

I forgot to get my 3GS rear view mirror replaced under warranty when there was a TSB out for it.
Actually I didn't really notice the black crap on the mirror.

When I mentioned it, they gave me their "generous" 50/50 split too. My cost was $600.
F THAT. seriously.
At $600, I was still paying for the whole thing. No goddamn mirror costs $1200.
Old 08-01-15, 08:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EthanV
Because his warranty was out. I was in the same situation with the cam gear made noise.
Right--ok, good point.
Old 08-01-15, 08:54 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pman6
I hate TSBs. Stupid cost when out of warranty.

I forgot to get my 3GS rear view mirror replaced under warranty when there was a TSB out for it.
Actually I didn't really notice the black crap on the mirror.

When I mentioned it, they gave me their "generous" 50/50 split too. My cost was $600.
F THAT. seriously.
At $600, I was still paying for the whole thing. No goddamn mirror costs $1200.
Well, it really depends what the TSB is for. I had a 2nd Gen IS. It sucks to have the cam gear grinding, and be out of warranty, and have the TSB denied. But after 4 years / 50,000 mi, the dealer really shouldn't have to perform TSBs for the squeaking driver seat or the creaking dash--you have to have some type of cutoff on more minor TSBs like that.