GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 10:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

The more I look at it, I think even the exterior design of this car may not be ideal M5/E63 competitor, most of those buyers are not young to say the least, and this grille may be a little extreme ..... and to me the front does not flow well with the rest of the car ...
Old 01-27-15, 10:49 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
couple of things

i actually think lexus entered the competition against m and amg VERY well. i think the isf was a great project and execution, even though it didn't get to m level in the beginning. but i love how they get into the game. then the lfa, who can even deny its impact? even the rcf i think is a great addition. so imho up till that point it has been great on the f name / badge.

to me the spec of the gsf is actually pretty good. i think it will be a great fun car to drive. however, i just don't see it being enough to go against the current m5 and e63. it will be a wonderful car (price considered) compared to the m3 and 550i imho, i think the gsf will walk away clean from those. so yes i think it's a wonderful car. but to me is it wonderful enough to carry the gsf badge? no.

people can argue all day "it's just a badge" but i will laugh all day "it's THE badge". bmw could have gone without m and mb without amg, but they wouldn't have been so successful in their image and status. when it comes to luxury market, it's all about the badge and status.

just doing power to weight ratio and time around a course sure is an indication, but when i think about it, it can get silly because m3/4 and c63 of course will likely win over larger heavier cars, even when those have more power. so i guess with the same arguments here, it's like saying m3/4 and c63 are far superior cars over their larger brothers. i am not sure about that. similarly with the gsf and how people keep saying it's silly to compare to m5? i honestly think it will go very well against m3.

and you know what? it might not bad a bad thing at all? back in 1998, lexus put up a mid-size sedan with more power and faster than the bmw m3. that was a WONDERFUL win. they called it gs400
Henry has just about summed it up, you can't deny how disappointing the GSF is for us 2nd gen GS400/430 owners. We don't want just want a good GS, but rather a real GSF that is asserting in the eyes of high performance competition. So far they won't even blink over this one.
Old 01-27-15, 10:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
The more I look at it, I think even the exterior design of this car may not be ideal M5/E63 competitor, most of those buyers are not young to say the least, and this grille may be a little extreme ..... and to me the front does not flow well with the rest of the car ...
so far, more extreme it is, better it sells in Lexus world.
Old 01-27-15, 10:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spwolf
so far, more extreme it is, better it sells in Lexus world.
So far with the 3 IS , with younger target buyers ... I think would work well with the RC too, which I think is a much better execution of the extreme spindle than the 3IS ...
Old 01-27-15, 11:18 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

couple of things

i actually think lexus entered the competition against m and amg VERY well. i think the isf was a great project and execution, even though it didn't get to m level in the beginning. but i love how they get into the game. then the lfa, who can even deny its impact? even the rcf i think is a great addition. so imho up till that point it has been great on the f name / badge.

to me the spec of the gsf is actually pretty good. i think it will be a great fun car to drive. however, i just don't see it being enough to go against the current m5 and e63. it will be a wonderful car (price considered) compared to the m3 and 550i imho, i think the gsf will walk away clean from those. so yes i think it's a wonderful car. but to me is it wonderful enough to carry the gsf badge? no.

people can argue all day "it's just a badge" but i will laugh all day "it's THE badge". bmw could have gone without m and mb without amg, but they wouldn't have been so successful in their image and status. when it comes to luxury market, it's all about the badge and status.

just doing power to weight ratio and time around a course sure is an indication, but when i think about it, it can get silly because m3/4 and c63 of course will likely win over larger heavier cars, even when those have more power. so i guess with the same arguments here, it's like saying m3/4 and c63 are far superior cars over their larger brothers. i am not sure about that. similarly with the gsf and how people keep saying it's silly to compare to m5? i honestly think it will go very well against m3.

and you know what? it might not bad a bad thing at all? back in 1998, lexus put up a mid-size sedan with more power and faster than the bmw m3. that was a WONDERFUL win. they called it gs400
Great post here!

But talking about image and badge (even in this segment) may get you labeled as juvenile and insecure.
Old 01-27-15, 11:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by obturator
Great post here!

But talking about image and badge (even in this segment) may get you labeled as juvenile and insecure.
Most people who actually write the cheques for these high end cars instead of just talking about it on the Internet can be juvenile and insecure too , most buy them as a status symbol and bragging rights being more important than anything . Luxury products are meant to be status symbols and bragging, that's the main selling points...
Old 01-27-15, 12:24 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

One thing is to compare GSF to M5 and E63amg which obviously it falls short, yet those cars are already at the very end of their life cycle.

The new CTS-V is the most direct competitor in many ways.
Just like Lexus F, Cadillac V brand is very new and trying to gain traction against M and Amg.
Unlike Lexus, Cadillac has set the bar at a new level and should prove superior to M5 and E63 in every performance aspect.
It completely embarasses the GSF, and CTS chassis is just as great especially with the next Gen Magneride suspension.

Pricing on CTS-V will be way below M5 and E63 so where does this leave GSF?
Old 01-27-15, 12:33 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Diehard Lexus fans waiting for V8 4GS will buy it plus it will be reliable and of superior build quality.
Caddy is just a crappy American car made by bailed out manufacturer not worth considering nomatter what ... just like some diehard German car fans think of anything non German

If priced right, it should sell well at least initially, plus this car should have a short run anyway since this will be the 4th model year already for the 4GS when this GS F is available for sale ...
Old 01-27-15, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
So far with the 3 IS , with younger target buyers ... I think would work well with the RC too, which I think is a much better execution of the extreme spindle than the 3IS ...
every Lexus that received bigger spindle sold better... so thats GX, LX, LS, RX... It might be polarizing, but people who like it, end up buying it.

GS is pretty booring these days, right up there with ES... full spindle will suit it nicely, i doubt that F-Sport will look that much difference, similar to RC-F and RC F-Sport, there will be big differences for us who follow it, but for regular folks F-Sport will have full spindle and look very similar.
Old 02-09-15, 03:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

GSF in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue

https://www.facebook.com/lexus/posts/10153167628168534
Old 02-09-15, 04:56 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

It's time they show it in other colors ......
Old 02-09-15, 06:25 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
GSF in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue

https://www.facebook.com/lexus/posts/10153167628168534
There was a car in the photos?

Old 02-09-15, 10:13 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the money shot for the GS-F:

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F-pdjtiya.jpg

This will be a very desirable car.
Old 02-09-15, 10:59 PM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

couple of things

Originally Posted by gsintensive
Henry has just about summed it up, you can't deny how disappointing the GSF is for us 2nd gen GS400/430 owners. We don't want just want a good GS, but rather a real GSF that is asserting in the eyes of high performance competition. So far they won't even blink over this one.
Historical perspective always appreciated. It strengthens your arguments and points in my mind. I am an infant compared to you guys, having got into my first Lexus in 2013. Still in high school in 98.
Old 02-10-15, 04:24 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

couple of things

I whole heartedly agree Henry. I will never forgot the day i layed my eyes on the '98 GS400 then once more at the power/performance figure. I miss those days with much anticipation for what the future holds for the GS brand thats been side stepped for close to a decade.

Now the GS is back in the game, i wonder what Lexus has in mind to compete against the 4 door coupe segment.

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F