Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Replacing the Town Car as the Limo of Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-14, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Whatever happened to the livery version of the Caddy XTS? Is the XTS being used in black car fleets?
I haven't (yet) seen one in my area. Nor do I particularly expect to. The XTS, IMO is not an adequate replacement for a traditional DTS-based limo....and certainly not for the older RWD Fleetwoods.
Old 11-28-14, 09:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

The XTS is just as appropriate as a limo as a DTS. The cars have way more in common than they do in contrast.
Old 11-29-14, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The XTS is just as appropriate as a limo as a DTS. The cars have way more in common than they do in contrast.
Nope. I'll respect your opinion....but strongly disagree. I'll admit, though, that while I have sampled DTS models in both standard and limo-stretch forms, I've only sampled an XTS in standard form.....but that car, IMO, was quite unimpressive on the road for a Cadillac flagship.
Old 11-29-14, 02:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You have to understand that how it drives on the road has nothing to do with how it will ride as a limo. Remember people ride comfortably in Hummer limos. The suspension and frame are all reworked when they are converted into limos. I'm sure an XTS limo is very comfortable.
Old 11-29-14, 04:58 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We looked at the XTS for a company car. Would take it over the DTS any day. Also want to say we took an XTS Livery from the Sofitel in Chicago and it was great, they had one on the showroom floor when we were shopping for a car as well.....
Old 11-29-14, 05:00 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Was just in NYC for a couple nights and saw a lot of MKTs (the fleet versions even have "TownCar" emblems on the front doors), a LOT of new S550s, a couple LS460s. Did see one stretch XTS...didnt work IMHO
Waldorf in Chicago has a few new 550's for guest use , hard to get into a regular taxi or uber after that
Old 11-29-14, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
We looked at the XTS for a company car. Would take it over the DTS any day. Also want to say we took an XTS Livery from the Sofitel in Chicago and it was great, they had one on the showroom floor when we were shopping for a car as well.....
I would hope the Livery version rides better than the standard XTS, which, IMO, is not flagship material by any means.
Old 11-29-14, 05:54 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

But its not just the ride , I dont care if its a floaty boat like the DTS or towncar , I been in everything from Prius cabs to navigators to s550's , at the end of the day the outside and in of the xts is light years ahead of the DTS. The world is changing , hang on
Old 11-29-14, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
Waldorf in Chicago has a few new 550's for guest use , hard to get into a regular taxi or uber after that
I'm sure!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I would hope the Livery version rides better than the standard XTS, which, IMO, is not flagship material by any means.
I too wasn't impressed with the XTS' ride, but based on recent reviews I've seen, I think we both need to drive one again.
Old 11-29-14, 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I too wasn't impressed with the XTS' ride, but based on recent reviews I've seen, I think we both need to drive one again.
The standard non-livery XTS I sampled not only rode unimpressively, but also, at highway speeds, had a slight but noticeable shimmy in the front end and steering wheel that apparently is an engineering problem.......according to GM, not traceable to the typical problem of unbalanced or out-of-round tires/wheels or hubs. The factory, as I understand it, is working on a fix....and may already have one.

Like you (and maybe J.P.), I plan to give the car a second chance at a test-drive. I'll see at the upcoming D.C. Auto Show if Cadillac is giving out pre-paid Visa/Mastercards for 2015 test drives like some other manufacturers probably will. Ford/Lincoln, for example, does that promotion regularly each year, and Buick and Lexus also did it last year.

(I, of course, don't depend on money-promotions for test-drives, but, hey, if the company will give you a little something for it, nothing wrong with that. We give THEM enough when we buy one of their products).

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-29-14, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't recall any shimmy when I drove the one I drove, just a lot of impact harshness.

I'd never pass up a gift card!
Old 11-29-14, 07:26 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I went back and drove an XTS just to be sure I was not wrong about the ride from my first test drive. The results are the same! The car is smooth and quiet at freeway speeds on smooth pavement. At slow speeds like around town, it is "jiggily" and not very pleasant. On rough roads it transmits impacts directly into the cabin and wheel. Passengers expecting comfort from an airport limo will not find this at all comfortable.

After Consumers Reports praised the Impala, I went down and drove one. It rides much better than the XTS. For me, a luxury car could be the Impala ride with the XTS interior. This would be an easy fix for GM, but it appears it in not in their plan.

Steve
Old 11-29-14, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its got to be the big wheels. You also have to make sure that the car you're driving doesn't have massively over inflated tires.
Old 11-30-14, 10:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I went back and drove an XTS just to be sure I was not wrong about the ride from my first test drive. The results are the same! The car is smooth and quiet at freeway speeds on smooth pavement. At slow speeds like around town, it is "jiggily" and not very pleasant. On rough roads it transmits impacts directly into the cabin and wheel. Passengers expecting comfort from an airport limo will not find this at all comfortable.

After Consumers Reports praised the Impala, I went down and drove one. It rides much better than the XTS. For me, a luxury car could be the Impala ride with the XTS interior. This would be an easy fix for GM, but it appears it in not in their plan.

Steve
You're right on about the new Impala. That car, especially with the V6, is superb. I gave it one of the highest ratings I have given one of my reviews in some time, and Consumer Reports agreed....they gave it a 95 out of 100, unheard of for a run-of-the-mill, moderately-priced American family sedan. .