Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do You Use...........(Dealer question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 06:34 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do You Use...........(Dealer question)

.........The same dealership and the same mechanic when going for service on your Lexus?

I read this is recommended for getting the most trouble free usage/miles on any vehicle.
Old 10-19-14, 09:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sometimes, at the same dealership, you can request a particular mechanic/Technician. But, more often than not, the person doing the appointment-scheduling will assign the car to a specific team (Blue Team, Red, Team, Green Team, etc....) where each Team consists of a specific Service Advisor and a specific group of Technicians.
Old 10-19-14, 10:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sometimes, at the same dealership, you can request a particular mechanic/Technician. But, more often than not, the person doing the appointment-scheduling will assign the car to a specific team (Blue Team, Red, Team, Green Team, etc....) where each Team consists of a specific Service Advisor and a specific group of Technicians.
I've also found that if you own an odd-ball car, with a vehicle specific issue, ie a Cadillac Allante with a problem on the convertible top, there is ONE guy out of 20 in that service bay who is certified to work on your car. And he's been around for 25 years, knows Allantes inside and out.

Now take your Allante in for an oil change, they're going to give it to anybody who is open, no big deal.

At least that was my experience with people on the Cadillac board.

Now my car, I take it to my own independent mechanic. I know the service writer pretty well, they only have 3-4 mechanics at their shop, and I know a couple of them personally as well. I know any of them are perfectly capable of working on my old cars, as I've never owned anything really complicated like an Allante or a Benz.
Old 10-20-14, 12:19 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I drive 40 miles to a particular dealership due to their exemplary service and treatment. I'm not sure if it's the same mechanic, but the S.A. makes sure everything is fixed, clean, and to my satisfaction. They also supply me with a loaner any time for any repair needed and are not on my case for getting it back at the crack of dawn. It's worth the trip when you find someone who takes care of you. The deed however works both ways. I return the favor by detailing the loaner and writing a positive feedback report to the manager.
Old 10-20-14, 09:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I too have driven out of my way (70km / 40+miles) to return my Toyotas for service at the dealer in the town where I grew up; that is also the dealer where I bought all my Toyotas. I once knew a master service technician there, someone I knew from high school, but he left a number of years ago.

The reason I returned was because of service: most of the service writers knew me by name and treated me as a valued customer, and I never had reason to doubt the service (technical or otherwise). I returned the favour by continually buying my Toyotas there.

That relationship may be coming to an end, however, because I am awaiting delivery of a new 2015 ES Hybrid. My old Toyota dealership does not sell the Lexus brand (the catchment area is too small for a Lexus franchise) so I was forced to shop at a Lexus dealer much closer to home.
Old 10-20-14, 10:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I forgot to add that, in some cases, for very simple things and non-warranty work, a Lexus can be taken to a Toyota shop where the rates are lower for the same work. And, in most cases, you get the same Toyota-spec filters, plugs, and other minor parts for less money. Not all Toyota shops will do work on Lexus vehicles, but my experience, when I had my IS300, was that some will (at least the stuff I didn't do myself), a long as it is non-warranty work. That may (?) also be the case with Acura, Infiniti, and Audi vehicles where lower-line Honda Nissan, and VW vehicles share some of the same drivetrains and other parts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-20-14 at 10:34 AM.