Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 03:05 PM
bishop10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless entry

My keyless entry has stop working what can I do to get it back working without going back to the dealer
Old 09-24-14, 03:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a new poster.

First thing to to is try replacing the battery...if it replaceable. That's the usual cause of a fob not working....a dead battery. Key fobs are usually pretty good at resisting water-damage, say, if you forget to take them out of your pocket before doing the laundry....but water can, and sometimes does, get through tiny cracks in the casing to damage the components.

We also have a a maintenance forum for questions like this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/
Old 09-25-14, 05:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Welcome to CL as a new poster.

First thing to to is try replacing the battery...if it replaceable. That's the usual cause of a fob not working....a dead battery. Key fobs are usually pretty good at resisting water-damage, say, if you forget to take them out of your pocket before doing the laundry....but water can, and sometimes does, get through tiny cracks in the casing to damage the components.

We also have a a maintenance forum for questions like this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/

It may not be as simple as changing the battery, however. After changing the battery, the key fob may have to be re-programmed to re-sync it to the car; the new fobs use rolling codes that change every time you use it to minimize the risk of theft.

Re-programming will likely mean a trip to the dealer.

This happened with my parents' car a few years ago. After finding out that there was the expense and trouble of having to have it re-programmed at the dealer, they just used the other key fob, which had been seldom used to that point.
Old 09-25-14, 04:31 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sulu
It may not be as simple as changing the battery, however. After changing the battery, the key fob may have to be re-programmed to re-sync it to the car; the new fobs use rolling codes that change every time you use it to minimize the risk of theft.

Re-programming will likely mean a trip to the dealer.

This happened with my parents' car a few years ago. After finding out that there was the expense and trouble of having to have it re-programmed at the dealer, they just used the other key fob, which had been seldom used to that point.
This is not at all how rolling codes work. A battery change, by itself, should never cause this.
Old 09-25-14, 11:02 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my epic searches as of late I ran across a thread title on how to program one or something like that. It required opening & closing doors, brakes & gas pedals being pressed etc. It was a LOT to get it programmed.
Old 09-26-14, 07:27 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
This is not at all how rolling codes work. A battery change, by itself, should never cause this.

If I was incorrect, I stand corrected.