Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All these cars at HQ - New LFA Due Diligence?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-14, 09:59 AM
jimster716
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All these cars at HQ - New LFA Due Diligence?

In the past few weeks there have been a few cars of note at Toyota headquarters all with manufacturer or distributor plates.

1. Nissan GT-R: Tennessee manufacturer plate
2. Aston Martin Vantage Roadster: CA distributor plate
3. Jaguar F-Type R hardtop: CA distributor plate

One could attach these vehicles with such performance and pedigree with the next-gen upcoming LF-A. Or maybe even for a **gasp** Supra?

AWD? Convertible? V8? Turbo V8? Maybe not the $375K exotic of the previous LF-A?
Old 09-09-14, 10:02 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have to assume they are there for a reason! I really hope they are digging into the depth of these cars to gain some insight on the competition.
Old 09-09-14, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyota Vantage Type-GTR
Old 09-09-14, 11:22 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No one ever reported when we had this Think City car on campus...haha

Old 09-10-14, 05:33 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jimster716
In the past few weeks there have been a few cars of note at Toyota headquarters all with manufacturer or distributor plates.

One could attach these vehicles with such performance and pedigree with the next-gen upcoming LF-A. Or maybe even for a **gasp** Supra?

AWD? Convertible? V8? Turbo V8? Maybe not the $375K exotic of the previous LF-A?
There is a press fleet management company nearby, maybe just stoping by to drop off a driver & collect a Toyota vehicle. Otherwise I say Supra!
Old 09-10-14, 07:26 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmm...Tennessee-plate GTR? That's possibly collaborative, as Nissan is headquartered in TN. Nissan USA might own that vehicle , if a manufacturer plate from TN.
Old 09-10-14, 08:35 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Hmm...Tennessee-plate GTR? That's possibly collaborative, as Nissan is headquartered in TN. Nissan USA might own that vehicle , if a manufacturer plate from TN.
Not collaborative, automakers often lend each other vehicles for evaluation/study. Example, Lexus loaned Jaguar an LS F Sport last year in exchange for the F-Type convertible (coupe wasn't out yet). Some are managed through Prietive Group, which I think is the one Byprodrive is talking about.
Old 09-10-14, 10:06 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not collaborative, automakers often lend each other vehicles for evaluation/study. Example, Lexus loaned Jaguar an LS F Sport last year in exchange for the F-Type convertible (coupe wasn't out yet). Some are managed through Prietive Group, which I think is the one Byprodrive is talking about.
I am aware of lending vehicles, but would never expect it between rivals Nissan and Toyota. Regarding the LS and F-Type, I suppose that would've been stateside, as I do not work for the Mahwah offices in the US. For R&D benchmarking, most of that work is done here locally at Whitley for Jaguar.
Old 09-11-14, 04:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jimster716

well

Old 09-11-14, 11:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I am aware of lending vehicles, but would never expect it between rivals Nissan and Toyota. Regarding the LS and F-Type, I suppose that would've been stateside, as I do not work for the Mahwah offices in the US. For R&D benchmarking, most of that work is done here locally at Whitley for Jaguar.
to fans, they are rivals. to a lot of them inside the companies, it's a job. they do what it takes and necessary to succeed, evolve, progress, and improve. studying competitors' vehicles is quite a standard procedure if you will. i can't say for sure, but don't be surprised if some of these people from different companies actually meet up and chat

same go for most companies in almost all industries
Old 09-11-14, 01:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Many Automotive leaders are friends not just competitors

Akio Toyoda and Aston Martin's Dr. Ulrich Bez swapped cars a few years ago in LeMans

Also I posted a few months ago iirc it was Carlos Ghosen and Akio Toyoda testing each others cars at an expo but I cannot for the life of me find it in the CL archives
Old 09-13-14, 11:25 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pbm317
Don't care for the attitude you get from the jerks that run the Prietive Group although they are closest to Toy HG. I was refering to Speciality Transport who has the accounts of the brands mentioned in the 1st post. I like working with them occasionally, here's a pic from a event in Hollyweird:
Attached Thumbnails All these cars at HQ - New LFA Due Diligence?-017.jpg  
Old 09-13-14, 11:37 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

I was shocked when I was assigned to pickup a new 2003 500SL at the MBZ port vehicle processing center CA, & deliver to Jaguar President Mike O'Driskel for the weekend. I assume it's a professional courtesy custom. This was during development of the next XK.
Old 09-22-14, 04:41 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by rominl
to fans, they are rivals. to a lot of them inside the companies, it's a job. they do what it takes and necessary to succeed, evolve, progress, and improve. studying competitors' vehicles is quite a standard procedure if you will. i can't say for sure, but don't be surprised if some of these people from different companies actually meet up and chat

same go for most companies in almost all industries
Yeah, it's not really life or death in that case. I have spoken to various, generous Toyota personnel, as well as Nissan, BMW, Daimler AG, etc, which is what helps me with background information. On a business level though, in some cases I find that to true. At Jaguar, Lexus is not seen as a direct rival, but a benchmark for quality improvements. Between LR and Lexus/Land Cruiser family, it is quite different.

We (LR) capture most of the world market, while Toyota gets sufficient business in SA, Africa, Russia, Australia, and Asia. In most of the "Western world" (to me the Western Hemisphere) and European markets, Lexus SUVs aren't too much of a threat, outside of the RX stateside.

To honest, these "test-drive" are really of no threat, unless you are part of company that heveily rests on its laurels. By the time a competitor even gets to these vehicles, at least 2-5 years have been behind the vehicle and they would have to be playing catch-up. Intelluctual property and active new developments are more a concern, The Daimler and Nissan connection is evident of this a little, as well as BMW and Toyota.

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I was shocked when I was assigned to pickup a new 2003 500SL at the MBZ port vehicle processing center CA, & deliver to Jaguar President Mike O'Driskel for the weekend. I assume it's a professional courtesy custom. This was during development of the next XK.
I am loving your comments here, wow! Good on you to mention that! Was this in the second half of 2002, IYRC(recall)? In 2002, we were doing design clinics on the X150 XK design (i wasn't there then). Amongst the 1:1 design model of the X150, were the Lexus SC430, 996 Porsche 911, and R230 Mercedes-Benz SL500. The final article was frozen months later. At JLR, we take a very long time on design. The X760 is a result of high lead times, unlike the X152 F-Type design that was approved in March/early April of 2011.

A reason why the C-X16 concept was a dead ringer at September 2011's IAA Frankfurt, since much of their engineering had been done and Jaguar advanced design, only needed to spice it up.