Club Lexus Forums

Club Lexus Forums (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top? (http://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/734882-compact-luxury-suvs-will-the-nx-come-out-on-top.html)

corradoMR2 03-22-14 07:21 AM

Compact Luxury SUVs - Will the NX come out on top?

2 Attachment(s)
The NX is heading into a highly competitive and saturated market with many new upcoming contenders such as the GLA, Q3, and MKC. Will it come out on top in its class, like its big brother, the RX?

Whitigir 03-22-14 07:42 AM

I honestly Doubt it. Just my own Opinion.

I can't think of anything out there is to beat the RX even now. The MDX is very close, he SRX from Cadillac is a Mezhhh

Hoovey2411 03-22-14 10:48 AM

The SRX was mirrored after the RX, look how close that is. Looking at the ATS and CTS and how good they are, its safe to say the 3rd gen SRX is going to expand on its success even more. That said, the 2016 RX needs to come out swinging. Hope they up the luxury quotient, the ML and Q5 are both available with giant panoramic roofs and second row climate controls two things not to be found on the RX. The new Highlander cabin with its nice materials makes a strong case that the RX needs to do more.

spwolf 03-22-14 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 8444411)
The SRX was mirrored after the RX, look how close that is. Looking at the ATS and CTS and how good they are, its safe to say the 3rd gen SRX is going to expand on its success even more. That said, the 2016 RX needs to come out swinging. Hope they up the luxury quotient, the ML and Q5 are both available with giant panoramic roofs and second row climate controls two things not to be found on the RX. The new Highlander cabin with its nice materials makes a strong case that the RX needs to do more.

Yikes at comparo... RX sold 104k in 2013,9% rise from 2012 (SRX sold 50% less)... Numbers for Feb are lower due factory being down due to snow. All without giant panoramic roof :-).

On the other hand, NX is not being built specifically for US market, so while NX+RX sales will certainly rise, i doubt it will close anything close to matching RX numbers.

Maybe we (car enthusiasts in forums) will like NX better than RX though. That does not make it great sales success though.

Hoovey2411 03-22-14 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spwolf (Post 8444643)
Yikes at comparo... RX sold 104k in 2013,9% rise from 2012 (SRX sold 50% less)... Numbers for Feb are lower due factory being down due to snow. All without giant panoramic roof :-).

On the other hand, NX is not being built specifically for US market, so while NX+RX sales will certainly rise, i doubt it will close anything close to matching RX numbers.

Maybe we (car enthusiasts in forums) will like NX better than RX though. That does not make it great sales success though.

It's a fair comparo, my comment was geared toward the SRX itself, not exactly it's the Overall sales numbers. The RX is the benchmark, and that's exactly what the second gen SRX was matched against when GM went to redesign. Their numbers are very similar on paper.

I'm glad the NX is coming. The RX has been straddling for too long now. Without having to do double duty anymore it can evolve and grow. The NX is essentially the size of the original RX filling the void the RX left. Similar to how the ATS allowed the CTS to move up :thumbup:

The RX is a great vehicle and is very competent and people know this hence it's sales success. But that does not excuse the lack of available options and those available on competitors. I was driving a '12 ML350 the other day, and was most impressed with the steering feel, cabin noise (lack of), how well it absorbed bumps, good power albeit a little gruff sounding. Unlike the RX though, its not as intuitive or logical with some controls. The pano roof was nice :thumbup::p

TangoRed 03-22-14 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitigir (Post 8444244)
I honestly Doubt it. Just my own Opinion.

I can't think of anything out there is to beat the RX even now. The MDX is very close, he SRX from Cadillac is a Mezhhh

Agreed. The RX is in a sweet spot with the price to size equation...with the NX sitting more squarely with its competitors I seriously doubt it would be able to pull of that much of a lead from the RDX on the bottom end and the X3/GLK/Q5 on the top end.

kwr 03-22-14 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 8444764)
The RX has been straddling for too long now. The RX is a great vehicle and is very competent and people know this hence it's sales success. But that does not excuse the lack of available options and those available on competitors. I was driving a '12 ML350 the other day, and was most impressed with the steering feel, cabin noise (lack of), how well it absorbed bumps, good power albeit a little gruff sounding. Unlike the RX though, its not as intuitive or logical with some controls. The pano roof was nice :thumbup::p

It's going to be interesting to see what impact the NX has on the compact SUV class and RX sales. I've always felt like the RX (since the 2nd gen) was lacking luxury features compared to the competition. I chalked this up as the RX being priced lower than the ML, X5, Cayenne, etc. and essentially being a Camry station wagon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TangoRed (Post 8444806)
Agreed. The RX is in a sweet spot with the price to size equation...

Yes I agree price is one of the positive attribute's of the RX. Given this, increasing the price too much removes the value equation. Lexus needs to tread carefully. The LX and Land Cruiser are examples of how a huge price increase from one generation to the next can kill volume.

Hoovey2411 03-22-14 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwr (Post 8444872)
It's going to be interesting to see what impact the NX has on the compact SUV class and RX sales. I've always felt like the RX (since the 2nd gen) was lacking luxury features compared to the competition. I chalked this up as the RX being priced lower than the ML, X5, Cayenne, etc. and essentially being a Camry station wagon.

Yes I agree price is one of the positive attribute's of the RX. Given this, increasing the price too much removes the value equation. Lexus needs to tread carefully. The LX and Land Cruiser are examples of how a huge price increase from one generation to the next can kill volume.

Yeah, there's things like heated rear seats, height adjustable tailgate and pano roof available on top level Pathfinders but not on a RX - not right.. But yeah I'm happy that the RX can rightfully move up in class and compete with its peers better. It did after start with the RX and ML, time to grow up.

The LX doesn't sell in large numbers Stateside, but it does sell in droves still in the UAE and Middle East still.

corradoMR2 03-22-14 06:22 PM

Here's my take. It somewhat mirrors most of your comments above.

If the NX has that same magical ratio on price/size/features as the RX has over its competitors AND the RX grows in size for MY 2016 to distinguish itself from the NX in price and size, the NX will grow towards the top soon enough (within 2 years is my guesstimate) but possibly cannibalizing some RX sales in the process. This magical ratio will have to be such that it will have the roominess of an X3/Q5/GLK, with the price point of an X1/Q3/GLA similarly equipped. By attacking the "bottom" and "top" tiers of its competitors like the RX has done, it stands a very good chance at climbing to numero uno.

Getting specific here so if the NX can carve out about 30 cu ft of cargo, 42/35 inches of f/r legroom, and at least 95 cu ft of interior room, with a price range of 35-47K USD offering competitive features, show me the dotted line. :thumbup: Four more weeks folks for the reveal! :woot:

spwolf 03-22-14 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corradoMR2 (Post 8444934)
Here's my take. It somewhat mirrors most of your comments above.

If the NX has that same magical ratio on price/size/features as the RX has over its competitors AND the RX grows in size for MY 2016 to distinguish itself from the NX in price and size, the NX will grow towards the top soon enough (within 2 years is my guesstimate) but possibly cannibalizing some RX sales in the process. This magical ratio will have to be such that it will have the roominess of an X3/Q5/GLK, with the price point of an X1/Q3/GLA similarly equipped. By attacking the "bottom" and "top" tiers of its competitors like the RX has done, it stands a very good chance at climbing to numero uno.

Getting specific here so if the NX can carve out about 30 cu ft of cargo, 42/35 inches of f/r legroom, and at least 95 cu ft of interior room, with a price range of 35-47K USD offering competitive features, show me the dotted line. :thumbup: Four more weeks folks for the reveal! :woot:

NX will not be cheap.

You cant have it all.

RXSF 03-22-14 06:31 PM

The RX is in kind of the goldilocks in the mid size SUV segment, not as large as something like the ML or X5 but now as small as the GLK or X3.

Will the NX be in the middle of the GLK/X3 and GLA/X1?

rogerh00 03-23-14 07:17 AM

Four more weeks folks for the reveal!

Yes, I think this thread is premature when we don't have any specs, options, costs or a clear photo yet. I think we've done all the speculation possible.

I am sad to hear my RX350 is just a Camry wagon:(:egads:

spwolf 03-23-14 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RXSF (Post 8444945)
The RX is in kind of the goldilocks in the mid size SUV segment, not as large as something like the ML or X5 but now as small as the GLK or X3.

Will the NX be in the middle of the GLK/X3 and GLA/X1?

NX seems to be more like IS and GS than ES/RX... So it will be X3 competitor and similar to X3 prices. It will not start at 30k.

geko29 03-24-14 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerh00 (Post 8445460)
I am sad to hear my RX350 is just a Camry wagon:(:egads:

Does this surprise you? I was fully aware of that before we bought ours. The salesman was mortified when I mentioned it though. :p

spwolf 03-24-14 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geko29 (Post 8446886)
Does this surprise you? I was fully aware of that before we bought ours. The salesman was mortified when I mentioned it though. :p

I think he was being sarcastic.