Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Request service records

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 05:15 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Request service records

I have an 06 250 (bought used)and I plan to take my car on the local track this year just for some Driver Education courses before i get into a real track car. I'm going over everything with my car and everything runs extremely well (for now).

I was going over recent service work on the My.Lexus and I was wondering if it was possible to request what service work was done when lexus did a few recalls on my car under the previous owner. it says Top End Cleaning, and gasket which i assume is the carbon recall but I wonder if they can tell me if any supporting parts were changed along with it. Just trying to do some preventative maintenance really
Old 03-04-14, 05:33 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont believe the dealerships keep detail service records! I think their system is a bit antiquated and can't handle those kind of record keeping.
The short description sometime does make any sense. For instance, I brought my IS350 for a tranny flush. The online record has 1 line of "customer indicate transmission concern" while the paper invoice clearly indicated "customer requested transmission service/flush with WS fluid". I will need to keep the paperwork to show the next owner since they might misunderstood that the car had transmission problem (based on online service record).
Old 03-05-14, 03:28 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At my dealership, our service advisers have access to something called "National Service History," which is a compilation of any service done to the car at a Lexus dealership. Generally its accurate and detailed but it really is a hit or miss. I'm currently asking my buddy to do that now so I know what to expect when buying a car. You could always ask next time you take it in for service
Old 03-05-14, 08:52 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Two of my good friends who are local own race shops so thats as far as I go in for service lol. Most if not all work gets done by me, but every car I've owned was pretty reliable so never had to do any MAJOR work. I work part time for one of them so they usually just let me go in when ever. Lifts, engine hoist, tire machines, welders, rim straighteners, you name it, its all there to use.

I have an idea of what parts to keep an eye on since im almost near 100k but it would be nice to know if say the water pump got changed at 65k when the top end cleaning was done or something like that
Old 03-06-14, 09:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
At my dealership, our service advisers have access to something called "National Service History," which is a compilation of any service done to the car at a Lexus dealership. Generally its accurate and detailed but it really is a hit or miss. I'm currently asking my buddy to do that now so I know what to expect when buying a car. You could always ask next time you take it in for service
Pretty much anyone with access to Dealer Daily has access to NSH, though depending on your level or corporation policies.

It's very accurate, problem is if you don't service at a Lexus/Toyota then it will not be logged, thus it can be spotty. Most of the time I see on Lexus lease vehicles the PDI done, the 5K and 10K, a large gap, warranty service here and there, another gap (owner probably went to an independent), and then reinspected and logged when the vehicle lease ends.
Old 03-06-14, 12:10 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Pretty much anyone with access to Dealer Daily has access to NSH, though depending on your level or corporation policies.

It's very accurate, problem is if you don't service at a Lexus/Toyota then it will not be logged, thus it can be spotty. Most of the time I see on Lexus lease vehicles the PDI done, the 5K and 10K, a large gap, warranty service here and there, another gap (owner probably went to an independent), and then reinspected and logged when the vehicle lease ends.
Yeah I understand the whole gap thing. There are very few things I would really go to the dealer for. I try to update the service records my self, even if its oil changes. I guess I just have to play it by ear on change it when something goes bad. I am going to attempt to reach out to the dealer though to see if they an provide any information on parts changed during recall
Old 03-06-14, 01:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
Yeah I understand the whole gap thing. There are very few things I would really go to the dealer for. I try to update the service records my self, even if its oil changes. I guess I just have to play it by ear on change it when something goes bad. I am going to attempt to reach out to the dealer though to see if they an provide any information on parts changed during recall
Whatever service the car has been through, you should be able to get. Start with service, but even sales dept can help you out too.