IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Another 5K service story, To be cont'

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 06:46 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another 5K service story, To be cont'

Well Boys, 5k service tomorrow morning early, because it’s free.

Hate to see others having issues on the 5k service. Its not confidence building, that’s for sure. Driving down to my dealer in NC tomorrow for the Great 5k dog and pony show. I submitted my service appointment online, and got an automated reply saying the service group will be in contact with me by the end of the next business day, well that would have been Friday last week. Bottom line, they never called or replied to email to confirm. So I called them and said Hi.

------ ------- Lexus, How may I direct your call?

Service Department Please.
4 minutes later,
I got a drone:
“Well Mr. Greyhound we didn't call you because all the service requests that come in via our website go into the service managers email box. He doesn’t allow us worker Bees to read his email. But we can work you in. Did you purchase your car here?"
Yes.
Drone replies: "So Mr. Greyhound, is this your first 5k service?”

I said Hmmmmm, Well my IS350 will only hit 5k once, and so, yes it is the first 5k service.

Drone says “Great bring it in tomorrow morning. See you at 9:15 am Mr. Greyhound."
Click.
Doesn’t look good. I think I will say, to the service advisor tomorrow morning: Listen Mack, how about you just give me 7 quarts of your best synthetic and an oil filter we'll call it even, and I'll be on my way. There is nothing wrong with the car, it doesn’t need no road test, I just drove it 150 miles here, it’s very quiet and fast. I like it the way it is. I know your not going to put you best person on changing the oil and checking the air pressure in the tires, so lets all save time, money, & grief, I'll fill out the survey that you listened to my request and you didn't try to rotate my staggered tires, and you provided outstanding service.
Do you think they will go for it?

I may ask to watch and let the wife take the loaner out. I have to burn a day of vacation for this. Wife says let them try, so to keep the warranty good. I want to change the oil [again] myself, and reset the indicator light and not bother. But I do get to go to Bass Pro Shops while I'm down there, so we'll go this once.
I'll let you know how it goes. May even take a camera and try to get a pic of the drone
Old 09-26-06, 07:21 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

such a drag.

my visits to the dealership are not nearly so dramatic.

Old 09-27-06, 12:41 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like my service manager... awsome lady.
Old 09-27-06, 04:34 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Not that I've had many problems with car dealers, but those that I have had (and that was a while ago) were with the sales staff. I can say with certainty that I've always enjoyed my relationships with the service staff. Once, when Lexus Roadside Assistance left me stranded (in the middle of D.C.) for 6 hours, it was the service staff at the dealership when I called that called another towing company, and even offered to come and get me themselves if the tow didn't arrive in the next 15 minutes. Again, it was the service staff at this same dealership that all signed a sympathy card when they learned that my mother had passed away. It was also one of the service staff who volunteered to come to my new house to make sure that the "homelink" worked for my SC430 and my wife's GX470. I know all of the service staff by name and I say "hello" to them whenever I'm there (which isn't that often) and I make it a point to stop by before Christmas to give them each a bottle of Champagne. Why? Because they're good people whose job is to take care of me and my passengers and I appreciate that.
Old 09-27-06, 11:59 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I guess I'm of the opposite mind set, I don't want to personally know the names of the service dept folks because I don't plan on seeing them all that often. Warranty & major repairs, sure I'll go to the dealer, but for routine maintenance (oil/filter changes, brake pads, yada yada yada) I'll take it to my local independent shop . . .
Old 09-27-06, 05:36 PM
lexem
Pole Position

Any update yet?
Old 09-27-06, 09:17 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Update

Well, I guess it was non-eventful service visit. We showed up at 9:15am and was met by a nice fella named 'Damon'. He asked for our name and told us to pull up to the service entrance. He had a note we we coming in and directed us into the building. He asked us if there were any issues with the car.
None.
I mentioned that there was a TSB recommending new 5w-20 oil now.
It didn't ruffel him any, he said he would ask his boss if the TSB was applicable to the IS350. I gave him the number, Thanks Lobuxracer.
I said, don't rotate the tires, Damon says he already wrote that down.
Then he pushes the release form towards me. I said, you don't have to 'roadtest' the car, because I just did for 154 miles. its great.
I ask, how long are we looking at here?
Damon service person asks, if we want any of the personal settings changed. Not today.
Less than a hour then. He didn't offer a loaner car,
He Asks if I want our car washed, I said, no not today.
Wifee asks Damon if we have to sign the form, He answers, yes, if you want the car serviced for warranty verification. I said Hmmmmmmmm.

Damon service advisor says, "Nothing is going to happen to the car. its just procedure."
I scribble Greyhound. Then I ask to take a pic? He says no.
Damon asks why the pic? I said for the 'record'.
He just looks at me, wife tells me to behave.

While all this is going on at the counter, car disappears. They already took it back for service. Damon shows wifee to waiting room, where the coffee cocoa and water cooler is.

Meanwhile I spy my IS up on the lift with the oil being drained. The technician is checking the air, I already did that. He looks the rotors and pads. I already did, except I had pulled the wheel, he didn't, just used a flashlight. Technician takes oil filter out. I would have let it cool a little, but it didn't seem to bother him. He put a new filter in.
Filter item number has changed to 04152-YZZA3 from earlier in the year it was part number 04152-31060.
I guess he had it back there for about 35-40 minutes, He reset the maintenance required indicator, and brought it back out.

I asked him, how was everything?

Technician says, it all looked good, he said he put some air in my tires. Since they can't rotate them, they may cup since they are relatively soft. He said if I notice wear on the edges, or cupping, put a couple more pounds in them to get them to wear in the middle of the tire, to get a few more miles out of them. He said if I can stand a little harsher ride. I said OK, never thought about it but seems reasonable. I asked the brand of oil he put in, Castrol, 5w-20, some new requirement from lexus and they changed oil weights. I said really?
I asked if he checked the transmission fluid, he replied, was it shifting correctly? I said yeah.
Technician said its sealed from Lexus and they usually don't mess with it unless customer complains.
I thanked him for his time and looking at the car. He said he figured the car was mine, cause no-one ever watches.
Back inside:
Damon service advisor goes over everything done, says yes my car qualifies for the new type of oil. Ask us to sign the acceptence form, says everything is covered under warrenty no charge. Gives my wife some chocolate chip cookies. I ask, how much the 10K service may cost. Its less than other cars, since no tire rotation, $110 dollars. I don't flinch.
Ok, were out of here, shake his hand and out the door.
Car ok, no Damage. we're relieved. I get new sunglasses at Bass Pro shops

I hate to hear about terrible stories at dealerships, but my expectation was low going in. So I feel that I came out good, cause even though they did nothing spectacular or outstanding, it seemd as though Lexus service wasn't that much different (except the cookies) than my Dodge dealer or Mitsubishi dealer were. I'm just glad they didn't tear anything up.
made it home ok. Day of vacation time.
Old 09-27-06, 11:31 PM
LaRock
Rookie

You seem extremely paranoid... I can't imagine how you react when you park in a Mall Parking lot.

Glad your car is ok.
Old 09-28-06, 01:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Totally different than my experience. But the Service Advisor at my local Lexus is a personal friend of more than 10 years. I timed the cams in his 3S-GTE MR2 because he didn't trust anyone else to get it right (and his tech had already botched it twice). I'm always the guy he calls when there's something challenging to solve, or hard to work on (like a MkII MR2 - I don't think there is any Toyota as diabolical as the MkII MR2 turbo!)

They even buffed out the scratches in the driver's side fender where a big piece of fairly solid plastic flew in the air on the freeway, landed on the fender and slid all the way from the headlight to the mirror. No charge.

I just made one deal with him. I won't show up with my list of warranty repairs until after 90 days. I'm not sure if I can stand the buzzing in the driver's side window that long though.

BTW, you're most welcome for the TSB info. Any time.
Old 09-28-06, 06:52 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default correct

Originally Posted by LaRock
You seem extremely paranoid... I can't imagine how you react when you park in a Mall Parking lot.

Glad your car is ok.

Your right, we don't take the IS to the mall. We take the old Montero or Jeep.
I know eventually it will get nicked, chipped, scratched, but it looks to good not to protect it now.

Anyone look at these INVO, nitto tires on the ad to the right --->
they any good? Never had nitto tires
Old 09-28-06, 07:58 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Questions since I didn't have a good 5k service.

When you opted not to get your car washed, did they vacuum it? No for me.

I wasn't asked to go over any personal settings? A week later I complained, and the dealership said they have customers come in at 1k miles just for the preferences.

What PSI did they put in the tires? A week later, my TPMS went off, air was too low. I let the dealership know that they shouldn't put in the minimum PSI and that I wasn't happy having to fill the tires again a week later.

Oh yeh, the 5k service said they rotated my tires---ha ha. I told the lady that I would like to see them try with staggered/directional tires. She said it says that for all. So they are lying again.

I took this to the dealership management and they said sorry, we'll be more helpful at your 10k service (I asked for a free oil change).
Old 09-28-06, 08:21 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

whats thee tsb number for the new oil requirement
Old 09-28-06, 08:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Greyhound: Sounds like everything went good. One question though:

How were the chocolate chip cookies they gave to your wife? (were they store-bought like chips ahoy or were they freshly baked and soft like otis spunkmeyer)

Old 09-28-06, 08:34 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Greyhound,

Next time you go (assume you went to Hendrick) PM me. I'll give you the name of my service advisor, very sharp and excellent. Call him directly instead of using the web thing.
Old 09-28-06, 09:07 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

what's a TSB? And does it apply to all is350s?

Quick Reply: Another 5K service story, To be cont'