RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Your relationship with your service department...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 10:28 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Your relationship with your service department...

In the past I used to have access to a dealership service bay, and I could come and go as I pleased (Sundays were great because I had the whole shop to myself, access to tools, lifts, etc.). Unfortunately, that is no longer the case and for the time being I will likely have to take my car to a local dealership for the convenience factor, as there is zero room in my garage and most of my tools are in storage. I've seen, heard, and personally dealt with enough horrific experiences using dealership service departments in the past that I really want to avoid these types of situations with my RCF. That being the case, I'm curious if anyone has a more personal relationship with their service advisor or the tech that works on the car at their local dealership? Does Lexus have a designated technician at their service centers that specifically works on F cars? Or am I rolling the dice every time I bring my vehicle in that it might be a 19 year old kid fresh out of UTI or it might be a 30 year career mechanic getting under the hood?

Also, if anyone has specific experience (ideally positive) or a referral for the greater Phoenix, AZ area that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-19, 10:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

My experience in the past with high end German cars (MB AMG) is just OK. Similarly with Lexus is jus OK.

What I had experienced is that (generally) the newest kid and lowest paid grease monkey is the one changing the oil. This is simply "economics 101".

So during the ten years I owned my MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE and at the same time my wife had an MB SLK250 hardtop convertible (his and hers), we've only been to THE MB dealership like a total of five times (for warranty work, recalls and TSB's). I did the routine maintenance work myself. Both MB ran flawlessly without any issues. At the ten year mark, we decided to let them go while we were ahead and not roll the dice anymore. One of the MB dealership I had gone to had a Porsche dealership too. They only had ONE Porsche master tech on their payroll and he is not there all the time either. So on the days he us not there, do you think they are going to turn any Porsche service business away? NO, of course not. It's business as usual.

One Lexus I took my RCF in for the first two "FREE SERVICE" which included an oil change. TWICE with that same dealership they OVERFILLED by more than an inch and half on the dip stick. Only if they had checked the dipstick, they would have known.

Also I don't think they will put a "master tech" on your RCF for routine maintenance service EVEN if you specifically ask for one. They might have the master tech go over with the "grease monkey" guy/gal who worked on your RCF and that's if you are lucky. Again the economics of it just can not support the senario where ONLY the master tech work on every single car.

A couple of months ago I had some parasitic electrical draws on my LX570 under Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty. The original selling Lexus dealership was unable to find the problem after like three different visits and some three new batteries later.....they just recommended that I get a battery tender. The battery dies after about two weeks of no driving and just sitting in the garage (same as if I parked it at an airport garage and off for a trip only yo return two weeks with a dead battery). So I went to a different and much larger (largest actually on the west coast) Lexus dealership. The Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty will not cover "INITIAL DIAGNOSTICS". SO I was asked authorize some $750+ JUST for diagnostic charge pay on my own. They said if they found a "covered cause/defect", then I will not be charged for anything except for the $100 deductible (which would have been zero if I were at the "selling Lexus dealership". But I was there already more than three time!!). Anyway the much more capable larger Lexus dealership found the problem after some 2 and half weeks with my LX570 there. Yes, in this case their master tech was on my LX570 and I spoke with him and got his card. It turned out to be a computer chip for the console cooler gone bad located in the center dash. The master tech got involved only bc I was willing to pay!!! But the extended warranty covered it except for $100 deductible.

All good now.

I would recommend an Indy shop who takes pride in their work. Or someway to find a "certified master tech" who is willing to work on your vehicle at his house or yours (and allow you to watch if you like). You give him the money to buy the parts (with itemized receipts) and a quote on labor. Your risk is there unless you got to know that person. This is usually by word of mouth which takes time.

Originally Posted by 46750
In the past I used to have access to a dealership service bay, and I could come and go as I pleased (Sundays were great because I had the whole shop to myself, access to tools, lifts, etc.). Unfortunately, that is no longer the case and for the time being I will likely have to take my car to a local dealership for the convenience factor, as there is zero room in my garage and most of my tools are in storage. I've seen, heard, and personally dealt with enough horrific experiences using dealership service departments in the past that I really want to avoid these types of situations with my RCF. That being the case, I'm curious if anyone has a more personal relationship with their service advisor or the tech that works on the car at their local dealership? Does Lexus have a designated technician at their service centers that specifically works on F cars? Or am I rolling the dice every time I bring my vehicle in that it might be a 19 year old kid fresh out of UTI or it might be a 30 year career mechanic getting under the hood?

Also, if anyone has specific experience (ideally positive) or a referral for the greater Phoenix, AZ area that would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by lexusrus; 04-15-19 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 05:38 AM
OldManRCF
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a great relationship with my service guy and a couple of the techs at my local dealership. I think this is mainly due to the fact that they are younger (early 20s) and adore the RC F. A lot of them have IS F's & IS models. With that being said, i sold my old car, a 350z to one of the techs that works at the dealership, which probably helps as well. Instead of calling the main line, i just call my service guy directly to schedule appointments and that way i'm dealing with the same person everytime i go. I find that the senior techs that have been working on Lexus cars for 20 years are usually the ones that work on the RC F's with the exception of changing oil. (still have to watch the overfills on that perspective) My service tech basically broke it down for me, he doesn't care what's wrong with the car, if he can logistically fix it for free, he will. He has no bias towards the company as a whole and is more than willing to fix things under warranty without hassle. Scratch on the dash? no problem. Blemish in the seat? also no problem. Over and above, will i go there once the warranty is up? hell no - it's a shakedown.
Old 04-16-19, 06:30 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 344 Likes on 226 Posts

I took my RCF to the local dealer for the fuel pump recall. I had them change the oil. It was over filled by a quart, which I pumped out in my garage. Not really excited when I buy a car like the RCF and the dealer can't even refill the oil correctly. I think Lexus should have special F certified tech and only they can work on F cars.

So based on the over fill, I changed my own oil this week. It was super easy. I do not understand how it got overfilled.

That said, the service department at both the local dealerships have always treated me extremely well. I worry more about getting the work on my car right. When you pay 200 dollars for an oil change you want the level right.
Old 04-16-19, 06:55 AM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

You're in luck. I'm ridiculously particular about my cars. I used to take my car to Bell Lexus for service and they were great. Then Earnhardt Lexus moved nearer to my office and I developed a relationship with the owner of the dealership. He encouraged me to try their service department. I've now become good friends with the both the manager of the service department and the master technician there. I completely trust them with my car and have NEVER had an issue. They've done all the maintenance, warranty work, changed tires, installed aftermarket parts, and have now replaced two windshields. My car always comes back perfectly. They're very passionate about what they do and it shows.
The following users liked this post:
46750 (04-16-19)
Old 04-16-19, 09:39 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyJames
You're in luck. I'm ridiculously particular about my cars. I used to take my car to Bell Lexus for service and they were great. Then Earnhardt Lexus moved nearer to my office and I developed a relationship with the owner of the dealership. He encouraged me to try their service department. I've now become good friends with the both the manager of the service department and the master technician there. I completely trust them with my car and have NEVER had an issue. They've done all the maintenance, warranty work, changed tires, installed aftermarket parts, and have now replaced two windshields. My car always comes back perfectly. They're very passionate about what they do and it shows.
To add on, Bell Lexus has been servicing our family's cars for 10 years, and have never had a single problem. Always good work.
46750 (04-16-19)
Old 04-16-19, 01:38 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Exactly!!

All one gotta do is let the car sit level for about 10 minutes while the oil changer person tidy up around the lift/do visual checks on other components and THEN pull the dipstick wipe it clean and reinsert and pull out and LOOK. Does not require a rocket scientist or a PhD degree.

Had someone at the dealership checked, the OVERFILL is NOT a problem. Someone was just lazy and did not check.

BTW, OVERFILL is potentially real bad bc it can cause "foaming" of the oil and the engine not getting lubricated.

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
I took my RCF to the local dealer for the fuel pump recall. I had them change the oil. It was over filled by a quart, which I pumped out in my garage. Not really excited when I buy a car like the RCF and the dealer can't even refill the oil correctly. I think Lexus should have special F certified tech and only they can work on F cars.

So based on the over fill, I changed my own oil this week. It was super easy. I do not understand how it got overfilled.

That said, the service department at both the local dealerships have always treated me extremely well. I worry more about getting the work on my car right. When you pay 200 dollars for an oil change you want the level right.
Old 04-17-19, 06:42 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had great luck with Lexus Of Clearlake with both the 2014 GS350 F Sport and my RC F. On the GS I had the battery, both CATs, and sunroof gasket all replaced under warranty. The battery was replaced during the 25k service.
Old 04-17-19, 05:28 PM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I checked my oil after reading about the overfill being such a common issue and what do you know? Overfilled by at least a half inch to 3/4" on the dipstick! *SMFH*

At Earnhardt Lexus right now, and it's been a solid experience so far, the service writer took me back and introduced me to the tech. They also had my car on the alignment scissor style lift instead of the traditional ones, which I appreciated because I have splitter/sideskirts that I was a little concerned about. Thanks for the advice guys, it's a little bit of a drive but I'm impressed so far and really appreciate the recommendation.
Old 04-17-19, 05:58 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been to several different Toyota and Lexus dealerships with my RC F. I travel for my job and my RC F is my touring vehicle. I haven't had any real issues with any of them in regards to the service done on my vehicle. Price haggling is common though...

To me, it is only a vehicle. It gets used daily so it is not going to stay in showroom condition no matter how badly I want it to. So I prefer not to stress over it.

I park as close as I can to the door at stores. In my experience I have had fewer issues that way. People who park all the way in the rear draw more attention to their cars and draw out the misfits who are only looking to cause misery. People who take 2 parking spots are really asking for it.

I don't keep my cars longer than 3-4 years anyway...

BTW, I am approaching my 70k mile service. I should hit 70k this weekend. Every service done at the dealership. But what other option is there outside of doing it yourself? Unless you know someone then you really only have places like Jiffy Lube. LOL, I'll take my chances with the dealership.

Last edited by Davew77; 04-17-19 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 07:09 PM
phobia
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyJames
I used to visit Superstition Springs Lexus for prior vehicles but them not being able to diagnose an alignment issue in my ISF caused me to go to Earnhardt instead by recommendation of other F owners in the area. They diagnosed the issue immediately and were easy to work with. Been going there since for all my services. I have yet to deal with any other Lexus dealerships in AZ, but would recommend Earnhardt to anyone.
46750 (04-18-19)
Old 04-17-19, 07:16 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I have become friends with the tech and lead tech who work on my car and my service adviser. Only these 3 touch my car. I have been in the service garage and bay multiple times during my visits to.see whats being done.
Its a positive experience to which I have gone out of my way to Express gratitude to the service manager and owner for the care I receive. Ohio, Lexus of Dublin treats me right.